General Your 2024 lineup

I like the idea of Bunty starting - they tried it once last year but it had mixed results including Bunty doing a loose carry on a kick return.
I like Bunty starting. Give him those early 20mins to take sting out of oppo, then he only comes on if needed for injury/HIA etc. Gives good balance to side and awesome mid game rotation

Bunty's greatest asset (other than his beautiful hair) is his ability to shut an attack down as the 3rd arriving tackler. Chopping the legs and getting the ball carrier to ground. No risk of a penalty for lifting the leg, just simple, effective tackling. He's starting in my 17, though probably not playing more than the opening 20 minutes each week.

All this chat about Ali L, I get it. I’ve seen enough of him to see that he’s going to be an exceptional talent for us. I know this will get some fight back but the reality is, he’s fourth in line imo.

Roger is with us for 3 more years. Berry, 2 more years. Pompey, 2 more years. Ali is also contracted for another two.

I see the talent but I see deficiencies in his game too, however he is 21 so to be expected. If anything, I’m assuming Pompey’s manager to be looking elsewhere as we’re obviously going to try retain Ali over Pompey. Ali has the opportunity to learn and develop under one of the greatest rugby league players nz has ever produced & a chance to set up a dynasty at the warriors with the best young talent the nrl has. Rugby league guru is all over the development space & he believes we’ve got the best juniors in the comp.

I really like Pompey, he played all 27 games last year, has played 80 fg games and is only 25 years old. I do see more development in his game but it’s clear that Ali has a level of X factor that Pompey will never possess.

Whilst I would love to keep all 4, the reality is one will leave. Of all 4, Pompey is the most expendable and I could see a team like the eels, or the roosters offer him a contract (roosters junior, manu leaving).

Ali needs to continue his development & his opportunity will come. The Warriors have made the error of rushing juniors into fg, yet we don’t need to do that with the depth we currently possess. Let’s not fuck up another junior by rushing Ali into the pressure cooker & he can learn from RTS & berry, who the latter imo is improving year on year & could be an international centre over the next few years.
I don't think Pompey's manager will be looking elsewhere when he only just made the call to resign at the end of last season. Knights had and offer on the table for him. The Warriors moved on Wiliame and Vailea to make room for him.

I don't think Pompey's manager will be looking elsewhere when he only just made the call to resign at the end of last season. Knights had and offer on the table for him. The Warriors moved on Wiliame and Vailea to make room for him.
Would say like CHT, it’s the attitude of this pair at least that Webster holds in high regard

He put up some respectable numbers off the bench in 2022. 39 mins & 91m. IMO without the hair he wouldn't have the same fandom.

Bunty's greatest asset (other than his beautiful hair) is his ability to shut an attack down as the 3rd arriving tackler. Chopping the legs and getting the ball carrier to ground. No risk of a penalty for lifting the leg, just simple, effective tackling. He's starting in my 17, though probably not playing more than the opening 20 minutes each week.

Guys come on, if we're taking about Bunty's greatest asset being the 3rd tackler in, maybe what he provides this team is no longer viable.

Absolutely we should keep him on the cards, losing AFB nek year we can't afford to lose any more experience, but if 24 year old Ale is already producing better stats then Bunty in attack and defence in less minutes, considering Ale started off as a back rower and has had huge covid and injury affected years, it's ridiculous were even debating Bunty being in the team.

I agree with Cces, if Bunty has no hair he never gets a cult following like this. Watch how he runs in to a tackle he is largely stopped immediately, with almost no post contact meters while most others fight and push for an extra few meters.

Please please guys let's not settle for mediocrity.

Guys come on, if we're taking about Bunty's greatest asset being the 3rd tackler in, maybe what he provides this team is no longer viable.

Absolutely we should keep him on the cards, losing AFB nek year we can't afford to lose any more experience, but if 24 year old Ale is already producing better stats then Bunty in attack and defence in less minutes, considering Ale started off as a back rower and has had huge covid and injury affected years, it's ridiculous were even debating Bunty being in the team.

I agree with Cces, if Bunty has no hair he never gets a cult following like this. Watch how he runs in to a tackle he is largely stopped immediately, with almost no post contact meters while most others fight and push for an extra few meters.

BUT THE HAIR...!!!

I'm not settling for mediocrity by having Bunty play 20 at the start of a game. I'm settling for having a guy do a role that involves doing a bunch of stuff that doesn't make a highlights reel to provide a stable platform for the bench guys to benefit from. I firmly believe if we can maintain parity or better in the first quarter of games that we will come home stronger than most, but we have to set that platform early. Bunty does that for mine, despite what the stats say.

If Berry and RTS are our centres for at least the next two years and no doubt Berry gets extended, where is the pathway for Ali? He’s 21. He can’t wait until he’s 23+.

The club this year needs to make some decisions on long term planning and one of Berry or Ali needs to go elsewhere for opportunities as they are both to good to not be playing first grade.

The other option is move a player out of position - RTS or Ali to wing or fullback.

I've got big hopes for Ali but the pathway is blocked.
Would u consider rts at 6? I've scoffed at this suggestion in the past but the way hes come back has me wondering- union watchers even tell us he has a kicking game now? esp if metcalf leaves.
A of spine of-
cnk
rts
sj
egan
would have a lot of upside....

Would u consider rts at 6? I've scoffed at this suggestion in the past but the way hes come back has me wondering- union watchers even tell us he has a kicking game now? esp if metcalf leaves.
A of spine of-
cnk
rts
sj
egan
would have a lot of upside....
Careful mate, you'll get told you have no idea! I think he offers too much with ball in hand to not be in the conversation about 6.

Metcalf does have the speed SJ had ..just needs to develop his directing of players and kicking to the same level

My team for week #1

1.Tanie
2.DWZ
3.Berry
4.RTS
5.Montoya

6.Metcalfe
7.SJ

8.AFB
9.Egan
10.Bunty(long season for players why not play the guys that showed great form in tigers game)
11.Ford
12.Capewell
13.Tohu

14.Walker
15.Barrett
16.Niukore
17.Lussick/ALE

18.TMM
Agree on Bunty. I think his value is in setting a platform for Barney and Niukore. I think your lineup is spot on.

Hard to say which competition is the most compelling, Berry v Leiataua, TMM v Metcalf v CHT, or Ale v Zyon Maiu’u. I have a feeling the coaching staff don't know either. Pretty much you have to take all your opportunities with both hands. Cos if you waste an opportunity, someone else will take it. Can't believe I'm finally saying that about our team.

Careful mate, you'll get told you have no idea! I think he offers too much with ball in hand to not be in the conversation about 6.
I do think he's capable. A bit of a Darren Lockyer. But we've got 3 younger guys we've invested in for the future. I don't think he's a midterm or longterm option. It doesn't make sense to send your future away for someone who has only 3 seasons left in him. Then again he does look remarkably fit. He's an absolute legend.

I do think he's capable. A bit of a Darren Lockyer. But we've got 3 younger guys we've invested in for the future. I don't think he's a midterm or longterm option. It doesn't make sense to send your future away for someone who has only 3 seasons left in him. Then again he does look remarkably fit. He's an absolute legend.
Also depends if we are looking for a running 6 or a passing 6.
Some people are not happy with Metcalfe as he is a running 6 and would rather TMM.
Personally I prefer Metcalfe for that very reason.
I actually trust in Webster to make the right decision on what is best for the team balance.

I dunno about that. A combo of SJ and RTS for the next 2-3 seasons is an intriguing proposition and a potentially premiership worthy halves combination.

Metcalf has speed but not elusive, weaker defense and limited distribution.
TMM has the distribution, organisational skills, good defence and limited running game.
CHT, well the jury is still out on him at this stage.

RTS has all of the positive attributes.

Why wouldn't he be in the conversation?

I dunno about that. A combo of SJ and RTS for the next 2-3 seasons is an intriguing proposition and a potentially premiership worthy halves combination.

Metcalf has speed but not elusive, weaker defense and limited distribution.
TMM has the distribution, organisational skills, good defence and limited running game.
CHT, well the jury is still out on him at this stage.

RTS has all of the positive attributes.

Why wouldn't he be in the conversation?
I consider LM to be very elusive and his kicking game is improving as he showed in the trial.
Defense is not horrible.
RTS has returned from the dark side and is so so impressive. He is a freak of a player.
Only game time will tell. We are in great shape with all these guys in the conversation

Agree on Bunty. I think his value is in setting a platform for Barney and Niukore. I think your lineup is spot on.

Hard to say which competition is the most compelling, Berry v Leiataua, TMM v Metcalf v CHT, or Ale v Zyon Maiu’u. I have a feeling the coaching staff don't know either. Pretty much you have to take all your opportunities with both hands. Cos if you waste an opportunity, someone else will take it. Can't believe I'm finally saying that about our team. V

Hard to say which competition is the most compelling, Berry v Leiataua, TMM v Metcalf v CHT, or Ale v Zyon Maiu’u. I have a feeling the coaching staff don't know either. Pretty much you have to take all your opportunities with both hands. Cos if you waste an opportunity, someone else will take it. Can't believe I'm finally saying that about our team.
I have said often last year that this is Buntys strength. He is involved in the majority of tackles in the middle 3rd in the early exchanges and he is shutting guys down whether he is 1st, 2nd or 3rd man in.
He reads what is happening and reacts quickly. His hit ups on this period are robust.

Whereas I see Ale as a far better bench better bench impact then Bunty.

All this chat about Ali L, I get it. I’ve seen enough of him to see that he’s going to be an exceptional talent for us. I know this will get some fight back but the reality is, he’s fourth in line imo.

Roger is with us for 3 more years. Berry, 2 more years. Pompey, 2 more years. Ali is also contracted for another two.

I see the talent but I see deficiencies in his game too, however he is 21 so to be expected. If anything, I’m assuming Pompey’s manager to be looking elsewhere as we’re obviously going to try retain Ali over Pompey. Ali has the opportunity to learn and develop under one of the greatest rugby league players nz has ever produced & a chance to set up a dynasty at the warriors with the best young talent the nrl has. Rugby league guru is all over the development space & he believes we’ve got the best juniors in the comp.

I really like Pompey, he played all 27 games last year, has played 80 fg games and is only 25 years old. I do see more development in his game but it’s clear that Ali has a level of X factor that Pompey will never possess.

Whilst I would love to keep all 4, the reality is one will leave. Of all 4, Pompey is the most expendable and I could see a team like the eels, or the roosters offer him a contract (roosters junior, manu leaving).

Ali needs to continue his development & his opportunity will come. The Warriors have made the error of rushing juniors into fg, yet we don’t need to do that with the depth we currently possess. Let’s not fuck up another junior by rushing Ali into the pressure cooker & he can learn from RTS & berry, who the latter imo is improving year on year & could be an international centre over the next few years.
I agree but also wouldn't mind loaning him out to a team like the Rabbitohs if they wanted it

Looks good until Egan needs a rest or gets his routine head knock and is off for 15. He isn't resilient enough to not have cover.
If you're thinking Walker, I don't think he is good enough at dummy half.
CHT is my smokey. With Tohu, the halves, RTS and Walker, we’ll manage.

Back