Sports đźŹŹ Black Caps

Cricket: Star batter Kane Williamson commits to Blackcaps despite disappointing exit from Twenty20 World Cup​

Grant Chapman

Blackcaps batting star Kane Williamson has turned down a fulltime NZ Cricket contract, but insists he remains committed to the national team, despite their early exit from the T2 World Cup in West Indies and USA.
Williamson, 33, has opted for a casual deal that will allow him more flexibility over his appearances for the Blackcaps and domestic cricket. That decision will cost him the whiteball captaincy.
New Zealand's participation in the World Cup officially ended with a seven-wicket victory over Papua New Guinea, but was essentially over with earlier group defeats to Afghanistan and West Indies - their worst tournament showing in a decade.

Although they have qualified for the 2026 edition in India and Sri Lanka, several senior players must now be considering their availability, lured by retirement or lucrative professional T20 leagues around the world.
Fast-bowler Trent Boult, 34, has already confirmed he is as good as done with his country, reflecting on his final T20 World Cup appearance. He hasn't played the test format in two years, since turning down a fulltime NZ Cricket contract.
Williamson has been unable to commit to the next World Cup. Some of that may be from disappointment over this result, some may be the changing landscape of world cricket, some may be his hope to extend a career that has been stalled by recent injury.

"I don't know," he admitted. "There's a bit of time between now and then, so it's about regrouping as a side.
"We've got redball cricket over the next year basically, so it's back into some other international formats and we'll see where things land."

NZ Cricket has confirmed Williamson's new contract will allow him to take up overseas opportunities during January 2025, when very little international cricket has been scheduled in New Zealand.
"Helping push the team forward across the formats is something I’m very passionate about and something I want to keep contributing towards," said Williamson. "However, pursuing an overseas opportunity during the New Zealand summer means I'm unable to accept a central contract offer.
"Playing for New Zealand is something I treasure and my desire to give back to the team remains undiminished.

"My life outside cricket has changed however - spending more time with my family and enjoying experiences with them at home or abroad is something that’s even more important to me."
NZ Cricket Scott Weenink says Williamson has earned the chance to dictate his future priorities.
"This is a good way to help keep Kane in the international game, so he continues to play a major role for the Blackcaps, both now and in the years to come," he said. "We have very little international cricket in New Zealand through January and outside that period, he’s still available for the Blackcaps.
"I know it sounds a bit counterintuitive, but I'm very encouraged by this development."
Fast-bowler Lockie Ferguson, who made history with four maiden overs against PNG, has also indicated he will turn down a fulltime contract.

Cricket: Star batter Kane Williamson commits to Blackcaps despite disappointing exit from Twenty20 World Cup​

Grant Chapman

Blackcaps batting star Kane Williamson has turned down a fulltime NZ Cricket contract, but insists he remains committed to the national team, despite their early exit from the T2 World Cup in West Indies and USA.
Williamson, 33, has opted for a casual deal that will allow him more flexibility over his appearances for the Blackcaps and domestic cricket. That decision will cost him the whiteball captaincy.
New Zealand's participation in the World Cup officially ended with a seven-wicket victory over Papua New Guinea, but was essentially over with earlier group defeats to Afghanistan and West Indies - their worst tournament showing in a decade.

Although they have qualified for the 2026 edition in India and Sri Lanka, several senior players must now be considering their availability, lured by retirement or lucrative professional T20 leagues around the world.
Fast-bowler Trent Boult, 34, has already confirmed he is as good as done with his country, reflecting on his final T20 World Cup appearance. He hasn't played the test format in two years, since turning down a fulltime NZ Cricket contract.
Williamson has been unable to commit to the next World Cup. Some of that may be from disappointment over this result, some may be the changing landscape of world cricket, some may be his hope to extend a career that has been stalled by recent injury.

"I don't know," he admitted. "There's a bit of time between now and then, so it's about regrouping as a side.
"We've got redball cricket over the next year basically, so it's back into some other international formats and we'll see where things land."

NZ Cricket has confirmed Williamson's new contract will allow him to take up overseas opportunities during January 2025, when very little international cricket has been scheduled in New Zealand.
"Helping push the team forward across the formats is something I’m very passionate about and something I want to keep contributing towards," said Williamson. "However, pursuing an overseas opportunity during the New Zealand summer means I'm unable to accept a central contract offer.
"Playing for New Zealand is something I treasure and my desire to give back to the team remains undiminished.

"My life outside cricket has changed however - spending more time with my family and enjoying experiences with them at home or abroad is something that’s even more important to me."
NZ Cricket Scott Weenink says Williamson has earned the chance to dictate his future priorities.
"This is a good way to help keep Kane in the international game, so he continues to play a major role for the Blackcaps, both now and in the years to come," he said. "We have very little international cricket in New Zealand through January and outside that period, he’s still available for the Blackcaps.
"I know it sounds a bit counterintuitive, but I'm very encouraged by this development."
Fast-bowler Lockie Ferguson, who made history with four maiden overs against PNG, has also indicated he will turn down a fulltime contract.

I would love Kane to just play red ball cricket for us.
Make his millions off shore, he bloody deserves it.

When I read another headline that implied Kane was leaving international cricket I freaked out initially. This arrangement will probably end up becoming the norm for our top 10 players with the central contract system undergoing some sort of revision to best manage the next tier.

I just need Kane to play 1 more ODI world cup with a proper coach to regain the high standard we had with all 3 facets of the game (fielding/bowling/batting), to try one last time to win it, 2019 still pains me

Kane showed last year ODI is clearly too easy for him even with all the injuries he had.

We still have the players, our batting was amazing last year, fielding is easy fix, bowling Henry/Jamieson/Sears/O'Rourke/?Fergey/Santa, Philips/Ravindra all rounders.

Just need a good coach to plan it together. Otherwise we'll have to wait at least another 20 years before another golden gen comes through

It pained me to see the genius of Dan Vettori with Australia last year.

Who are the realistic options to take over from Stead? Whenever Shane Jurgensen stood in for Stead in the shorter formats the team had some good results. In fact its been noticeable since he left the coaching setup late last year that they've completely unravelled.

Who are the realistic options to take over from Stead? Whenever Shane Jurgensen stood in for Stead in the shorter formats the team had some good results. In fact its been noticeable since he left the coaching setup late last year that they've completely unravelled.
Is Stephen Fleming available? Far enough removed now from his playing days. Maybe a Vetorri Assistant coach.

SF can take the test and ODI teams with Vettori assistant and Vettori can take the T20 with a different assistant helping him. Be a good way to split up the work load, give exposure to more coaches and still maintain a synergy between the formats.

He was such a nice bloke, spoke to him when they brought their test trophy around. Wonder what he's up to now, we need to get Vettori or Flem back and Bond or Shane as bowling coach

I just hope that a player of such magnitude opting out of a central contract is the dying canary in the mine for the ICC/BCCI. They'll probably just point to his age though. In itself the Williamson decision doesn't look like it will affect the Black Caps too badly, but to understand why this decision is being made (fuck all international opportunities) is very worrying.

The SAT20 tournament and UAE version have cannibalised our home summer. To not have cricket in January for a second year in a row is devastating. Going to international cricket games during the school summer holidays is just what summer is.

The future has been pointing this way for a long time, but even in what I thought were the worst case scenarios, test cricket and nations outside the big three were going to be protected better than this. It is bonkers to me that South African domestic hit and giggle, takes precedence over one of the higher performing international sides of the last decade.

Like for the West Indies, it doesn't make a lot of sense to sign a central contract anymore.

I just hope that a player of such magnitude opting out of a central contract is the dying canary in the mine for the ICC/BCCI. They'll probably just point to his age though. In itself the Williamson decision doesn't look like it will affect the Black Caps too badly, but to understand why this decision is being made (fuck all international opportunities) is very worrying.

The SAT20 tournament and UAE version have cannibalised our home summer. To not have cricket in January for a second year in a row is devastating. Going to international cricket games during the school summer holidays is just what summer is.

The future has been pointing this way for a long time, but even in what I thought were the worst case scenarios, test cricket and nations outside the big three were going to be protected better than this. It is bonkers to me that South African domestic hit and giggle, takes precedence over one of the higher performing international sides of the last decade.

Like for the West Indies, it doesn't make a lot of sense to sign a central contract anymore.
I wonder if NZ Cricket has had enough foresight to approach the BBL in Australia and suggest a North Island and South Island team to join. Would make a lot of sense from a NZ perspective at least and potentially grow the revenue for Aus?

I wonder if NZ Cricket has had enough foresight to approach the BBL in Australia and suggest a North Island and South Island team to join. Would make a lot of sense from a NZ perspective at least and potentially grow the revenue for Aus?
That would be pretty awesome. I followed the Big Bash when Warnie and a couple of our big names were in it but haven't watched for years. Would be straight back into it and imagine how good it would look playing games out of Bay Oval or Queenstown in the middle of summer.

It would be cool. I think from memory, that this was ruled out a long time ago by the BBL. They are really struggling themselves though with plummeting crowds and viewership. They have reduced the season significantly this year. It is a dog eat dog world out there in these T20 leagues. The SAT20 has caused a real headache for the BBL too.

The SAT20 is owned by Indian IPL sides, so the money on offer is substantial. THE UAE is the second biggest $ pool after the IPL. All during the Australasian summer

Won’t be long before we see TikTok cricket, 5 ball super over and the team twerks the best wins the world cup (Windies will crush everyone)

I couldn't understand why Kane Williamson would relinquish the Test Captaincy and keep the white ball captaincy.

Williamson is the best captain for Tests and surprise surprise is now going to play Tests only for NZ.

Unless of course he doesn't want the test captaincy, but if that were the case you wouldn't keep the short form captaincy either.

NZC seems to be in a pretty messed up place. It really feels that all the while we have had the best part of 15 years of success, they have not been re-investing in the grass roots, eroding it more like.

Now the golden generation has come to an end (and make no mistake, it has ended, a while ago) there is bugger all coming through.

Back