Recruitment Warriors 2024/2025 Recruitment & Retention

Warriors 2024/2025 Recruitment & Retention Discussion
key: T = Team option, M = Mutual option, P = Player option, D = Development contract

Confirmed Top 30 2024: 28/30
Confirmed Development 2024: 5/6

Confirmed Top 30 2025: 26/30
Confirmed Development 2025: 1/6

2025 Gains: James Fisher-Harris (Panthers), Jett Cleary (Panthers)
2025 Losses: Addin Fonua-Blake (Sharks)
2025 Off Contract: Shaun Johnson, Jazz Tevaga

Last edited:
That certainly was way ahead of the official captaincy announcement. Regardless, no way we should be chasing Taumalolo, he’s clearly on the downhill slope after an incredible career. Real pity that he couldn’t have stayed near peak level for a few more years. One of the all time great NRL forwards.
It’s a tough one because it’s been obvious for all see that Peyton and Taumalolo haven’t seen eye to eye since Peyton arrived at the cowboys and could be messages sent from out of the club to try and move on from his deal? By the sounds he’s a fairly slack trainer, if there was interest from our end you’d hope the club would do all right checks and procedures to be confident there is life in his knee rather than the half arsed shit from the dragons regarding Volkman.

Does anyone have any insight into what’s happening with Lussick?

Is he looking to stay on, are we looking to keep him?
I can't imagine him staying on beyond this season, just a guess though. He would be handy to keep until the club can unearth Fukofuka.

Surly securing SJ, Jazz, and Metcalf are top priority.

When you have a top line guy like Egan, you really should be developing underneath. I actually think lussick is good enough to get a contract at a struggling club, or backing up where a club has injuries.

I can't imagine him staying on beyond this season, just a guess though. He would be handy to keep until the club can unearth Fukofuka.

Surly securing SJ, Jazz, and Metcalf are top priority.

When you have a top line guy like Egan, you really should be developing underneath. I actually think lussick is good enough to get a contract at a struggling club, or backing up where a club has injuries.
Unsigned for 2025 are: AFB, SJ, Jazz, Lussick, Metcalf.

AFB is gone and SJ can re-sign as he wished. We all know their situation.

But I would say if the other 3 haven’t already been extended, then they are not in the clubs future plans as we’ve locked in who we want.

I’m picking all 3 either move on or we snap them up cheap as only a fill in. I wouldn’t be surprised if all 3 are in their final season with us.

But I would say if the other 3 haven’t already been extended, then they are not in the clubs future plans as we’ve locked in who we want.

I’m picking all 3 either move on or we snap them up cheap as only a fill in. I wouldn’t be surprised if all 3 are in their final season with us.
That implies that the club is holding all the cards. All three are probably holding off to see what materialises, with all having compelling reasons to be across the ditch.

I'd say all parties are pretty relaxed about how the future turns out for all three. Metcalf has a lot of upside, but he still has it all to prove. Jazz is better than handy, but energy and commitment alone doesn't move the needle that much. I'm looking forward to seeing what an injury-free Jazz brings to the table this year. Lussick is a passable back-up hooker who is admirably tough for his size.

I think jazz stays, he's more than a reserve prop, he's a clubman and a guy who bleeds the warriors. He's got more to give the club over the next few years.

I think jazz stays, he's more than a reserve prop, he's a clubman and a guy who bleeds the warriors. He's got more to give the club over the next few years.
Tough one with Jazz, he’s a good backup at lock for Tohu too and would be handy to keep around for when Tohu retires but at 28 now he’ll be 30 by the time that eventuates. Someone like Sifakula could be who they see as a worthy replacement for Jazz with many saying lock is his likely position and with more size to offer as a middle in general, looks like he’s got Jazz’s attitude also. Unfortunately injury might have delayed him too? Potentially Jazz’s last contract? He could earn more somewhere else? If we’re pushing for a title I’m sure he’d like to be apart of that too?

I’d guess Jazz staying is a given, however given his hot start and injury disruption combined last year, both parties see merit in waiting to see what 2024 brings before settling on an contract amount and tenure.

Speculation only.

Tough one with Jazz, he’s a good backup at lock for Tohu too and would be handy to keep around for when Tohu retires but at 28 now he’ll be 30 by the time that eventuates. Someone like Sifakula could be who they see as a worthy replacement for Jazz with many saying lock is his likely position and with more size to offer as a middle in general, looks like he’s got Jazz’s attitude also. Unfortunately injury might have delayed him too? Potentially Jazz’s last contract? He could earn more somewhere else? If we’re pushing for a title I’m sure he’d like to be apart of that

I’d guess Jazz staying is a given, however given his hot start and injury disruption combined last year, both parties see merit in waiting to see what 2024 brings before settling on an contract amount and tenure.

Speculation only.
As much as I love Jazz I think after this year that spot he has on the bench would be better served with one of our up-and-coming middles, Ale, Sifakula, Zyon Maiu’u, Laban.

Any update on Sifakula's injury & if he's fit for the start of the season
Nrl.com said he's out for the season but I don't think it's been updated from last year?

Jazz is one guy that could get a contract elsewhere, I remember when his contract was coming up in 2018 and he made the mistake of saying he only wanted to play for the Warriors.

The club (probably wisely) told Jazz he is free to test the market, thinking that he would generate little interest - while knowing they hold the trump card of playing in NZ.

Nek minute three NRL clubs registered their interest (without tabling offers, but enough to alarm the club) the Warriors of course moved in and re signed him on the spot.

If the Wahs offer up JAzz for trade tomorrow he would get a contract, everyone knows he is the little hard man of the NRL and has a Daley M in his resume (well deserved, that year Jazz was the best bench forward in the comp - add to that season 2023 before injury and he was up there with Walker for impact).

Cheap guy, trains hard, plays hard, and when we were getting a hiding from the Sharks he is that guy who said Imagine if we win" and everyone listened.

Brilliant cheap forward is Jazz. A bloody bargain. When you have an injury mid game....how many NRL clubs can say the have a hooker/Prop/edge/ cover in one guy off the bench who earns less than 600k?

None.

rank_chookpen_member.png

Today, 12:54 PM
Just had a chat with someone very close to Joey and its looking more than likely the Japanesse rugby 1.5 mill offer might be taken up for 2025. Teddys resigning has blocked Hoey to play fullback. So his return will be 2026 and retirement end 2027

Looks like Manu going to Japan in 2025.

Brilliant cheap forward is Jazz. A bloody bargain. When you have an injury mid game....how many NRL clubs can say the have a hooker/Prop/edge/ cover in one guy off the bench who earns less than 600k?

None.
Does he really do that though? Don’t think I’ve ever seen him play on an edge and it’s hard to imagine- he’s a terrible dummy half tbh- would be better off moving walker or cht there.
He’s an out and out middle forward imho.
Is he good enough to hold a spot there? Idk.
Can we get anyone better? Idk.
Are the young guys likely to overtake him in the next couple of years? I would hope so.

Does he really do that though? Don’t think I’ve ever seen him play on an edge and it’s hard to imagine- he’s a terrible dummy half tbh- would be better off moving walker or cht there.
He’s an out and out middle forward imho.
Is he good enough to hold a spot there? Idk.
Can we get anyone better? Idk.
Are the young guys likely to overtake him in the next couple of years? I would hope so.
Putting myself n armchair psychologist mode I speculate that his complete shit house mediocre performances in the playoffs are colouring peoples view of him
He started off the season as a real weapon but looked completely useless when he came back at the end of the season