General Warriors Preseason 2024

Status
Not open for further replies.
I'm going off-topic, but seriously one of the most underrated players we've ever had imo. Fus setting the club record and getting the Ken Irvine medal in 2018 when Hiku was there, and Ken winning Dally M Winger in 2019 after Hiku switched sides is no coincidence
I reckon Peta Hiku is better than even Peta Hiku knows. Super skilful player.

I used to feel like there was a centre in there when he was developing that flick pass, remember the one against the eels a few years ago that was called forward to win the game? Hiku really perfected it.
`
Yeah and good centers age well if they are naturally defensive players, Roger loves a good tackle so it all comes down to reads for him and that depends on his Winger and his backrow support on the inside i.e. the body guard of TMM or Metcalf.

Roger could well enjoy some good late years in the mould of Josh Morris who was not fast, rather had good timing, power and ran a good line.

Put it this way, if Webster was shit at attacking structures then Roger would be an expensive assist guy and finisher reliant entirely on creating opportunities...the ole chuck it to Roger and hope.

But we are not in that universe, the team is well coached, the moves are highly structured, and all Roger has to do is catch the ball, and draw and pass or hold the ball and take the gap.

Or take the tackle.

What I am trying to say here is that the Warriors have the platform to blood a guy with talented feet, who has never played center and make it a success....provided that guy has excellent one on one tackling technique.....otherwise forget it and don't sign Roger Tuivasa Sheck.

`
Yeah and good centers age well if they are naturally defensive players, Roger loves a good tackle so it all comes down to reads for him and that depends on his Winger and his backrow support on the inside i.e. the body guard of TMM or Metcalf.

Roger could well enjoy some good late years in the mould of Josh Morris who was not fast, rather had good timing, power and ran a good line.

Put it this way, if Webster was shit at attacking structures then Roger would be an expensive assist guy and finisher reliant entirely on creating opportunities...the ole chuck it to Roger and hope.

But we are not in that universe, the team is well coached, the moves are highly structured, and all Roger has to do is catch the ball, and draw and pass or hold the ball and take the gap.

Or take the tackle.

What I am trying to say here is that the Warriors have the platform to blood a guy with talented feet, who has never played center and make it a success.
Would you have him on SJ’s side?

Would you have him on SJ’s side?

My bias is wanting width across the park to stretch teams coast to coast.

So I strongly favor him being on the left....where our weakness lies.

We are so good on the right, so stacked, that we score at will, with or without a Roger Tuivasa Sheck. So for mine that is overkill.

I get why fans would want RTS and SJ together, I really do. Yes that would be lethal.

But Rocco is a right center, and a very good one potentially, people need to remember that for many of the Warriors better attacking years were when they had Vatuvei left Wing moves.

If RTS on the left becomes as problematic as the beast was on the left, then given how strong the right is, we would finally have that dream matrix that Daniel Anderson had, the ole 'unpredictable Warriors attack you from everywhere'.

Last edited:

We are so good on the right, so stacked, that we score at will, with or without a Roger Tuivasa Sheck. So for mine that is overkill.

I get why fans would want RTS and SJ together, I really do. Yes that would be lethal.

But Rocco is a right center, and a very good one potentially, people need to remember that the Warriors best attacking years were when they stacked a Monster called Manu Vatuvei away from SJs side.

If RTS on the left becomes as problematic as the beast was on the left, then given how strong the right is, we would finally have that dream matrix that Daniel Anderson had, the ole 'unpredictable Warriors attack you from everywhere'.
Berry certainly got better the more games he got under his belt, also think there were plenty of occasions where CNK was sweeping around and the one feeding DWZ for some of his tries. Seems to be a position where the player needs to be able to handle strong contact, early in the season Williame wasn’t prepared to hold the ball in some crash plays close to the line. By the end of the season both Berry and Pompey were willing to hold them and take the contact, even take the gap or crash over. Massive competition between Berry and Pompey.

2023-training-webster-1.jpeg

Darth Webby?? 👀

Last edited:
View attachment 4721

Webby wielding the red Lightsaber is obviously an omen- Cleary may have beat his apprentice in the finals this year, chopped him up and burnt us good, but we all know what happens in Round 2 ;)

The longer we get into the preseason without seeing some Dune pics, the more I am sold that Webby doesn't like sand as well
Is that Bishop Neal with around the squad already in that picture? Great to have so many of the team back with only CNK and AFB to return.

Is that Bishop Neal with around the squad already in that picture? Great to have so many of the team back with only CNK and AFB to return.
Definitely looks like him. Andrew Auimatagi, the coach at St Thomas' mentioned in an interview recently that quite a few of their Warriors signed players are training in Auckland at the moment.

But Rocco is a right center, and a very good one potentially, people need to remember that the Warriors best attacking years were when they stacked a Monster called Manu Vatuvei away from SJs side.

Imagine you're Ali Leiataua, you've had a taste off the back of talent and now your looking to grow your knowledge of your position. There are a few guns ahead of you doing a good job, but then you've got RTS beside you learning from scratch as well.
Absolute dream scenario to be developing our most promising in. Ali may well have forced his way into the squad through the wing by the end of 2024.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back