Recruitment Warriors 2024/2025 Recruitment & Retention

Warriors 2024/2025 Recruitment & Retention Discussion
key: T = Team option, M = Mutual option, P = Player option, D = Development contract

Confirmed Top 30 2024: 28/30
Confirmed Development 2024: 5/6

Confirmed Top 30 2025: 25/30
Confirmed Development 2025: 1/6

2025 Gains: Nil
2025 Losses: Addin Fonua-Blake (Sharks)

Last edited:
THOMPSON’S NRL FUTURE UNCERTAIN

https://www.foxsports.com.au/nrl/nr...n/news-story/5596094c3f970f7fcf2270b2328917c3
Rugby union gun Tyrone Thompson has put to be reports he has signed a contract to join his brother Leo at the Knights, but did reveal he was considering the move.

Reports surfaced last season Thompson had signed a development deal ahead of the 2025 NRL season, turning his back on the 15-man code.

However, speaking to Stuff NZ, Thompson explained he is yet to settle his future with his current New Zealand rugby contract ending after the 2024 season.

“Well, we’re still trying to go through it all,” Thompson said.

“I’m considering it, I’ve definitely got interest in it. But I’ve still got aspirations here as well. So I’m seeing how it plays out. There’s nothing set yet.”

Tyrone’s brother Leo was one of Newcastle’s breakout players in 2023, joining the Saifiti brothers in a dangerous front row rotation.

Thompson’s coach at Super Rugby outfit the Chiefs said he was happy his player was being honest about his aspirations.

“The good thing is that he’s been very open and transparent about his desire to give league a crack, and there’s a lot of appeal, particularly to go and play with his twin brother, and I get that,” Clayton McMillan said.

“But we’re working really hard at our end to give him confidence that he’s highly-valued in our environment.”
i think he might be a chance to make an AllBlack squad this year & if that happens who knows..js

On the bright side we have 12 months to sign someone
Alot can happen in half a season.
We have two spots to fill this year
At least one to fill by March I think
March 1st or March 31st?

1000011221.png

I can see them putting more minutes into Ale this year for sure, to get him ready for next year.
Not signing BHU might cost Jazz his bench spot.
Yeah mate im expecting big things for Tom this year.
Hampered by injury and COVID, played almost a full season last year but even then, had 7 games where he played less than 20 minutes so kinda hard to gauge, but out of his 26 career games he's played over 30 min only 9 times, but averages over 113 running meters a game and has minimal errors, penalties and missed tackles. Looks a big bigger than last year too

I feel like we missed a beat by not having him play our 3 finals games last year, would have learned sooo much.
My 2 cents worth I reckon he'll play his 50th game this year (24 games away)and will finish the year 120m a game from 30+ minutes average

Looking at the Sharks roster moving forward, and in particular their middle forwards. They appear to have a lot for next year at least. I see

Oregon Kaufusi has a MO for next year. Could he be a target? I've never really taken an interest in him, but was born in Auckland?​

Age 24 so his best years ahead, could actually be the best target at the Sharks if we're still going for one of their middles.

Age 24 so his best years ahead, could actually be the best target at the Sharks if we're still going for one of their middles.
We could get him from his mutual option for 2025, though I’d prefer Hunt. 172m in last nights trial for Royce Hunt, need that every game to match AFB’s average from last year. Sharks have extended Jesse Coulquoun in the last couple of days so have a glut of middle forwards for 2025.

Really would like to see something from the club about who they intend to target. As time goes on it looks increasingly like we’ve let AFB go with nothing in return. We did the right thing by AFB but looking as though we’ve been shafted in doing so. We chose to negotiate with BHU since he was coming off contract and potentially let the sharks away with anything that would see them offer players of interest in return to negotiate with AFB, potentially much more to it than meets the eye. Notice things have gone really quiet on tigers extending Utoikamanu, seems like one of the better options still available with an option for 2025?

Anyone watch the Roosters v Bunnies pre season game? How'd Joseph Taipari go? Plays half back NSW cup was born in christchurch. If SJ hangs the boots end of the year could be worth a look for depth when that time comes
His dad was my favourite Canterbury rep as a kid & I'd love to see him kick on but he's 25 in September & been through the Parra system then went to Wests without getting close to an NRL debut. Good to see him get a consistent run for the Roosters last season in a poor year results wise though. With the Roosters no longer farming players out to Norths he will have a tougher time getting a start in the NSW Cup. If he does, he'll definitely be playing behind a solid pack so will have a chance to impress

His dad was my favourite Canterbury rep as a kid & I'd love to see him kick on but he's 25 in September & been through the Parra system then went to Wests without getting close to an NRL debut. Good to see him get a consistent run for the Roosters last season in a poor year results wise though. With the Roosters no longer farming players out to Norths he will have a tougher time getting a start in the NSW Cup. If he does, he'll definitely be playing behind a solid pack so will have a chance to impress
His dad was a powerhouse.
My first reserve grade game, I was maybe 19 and they put me on him because I was always quite a good defender and I was shitting bricks when they told me.
He was in the Canterbury side and only playing reserve grade because he was playing for burnham (the military camp) and they didn’t have a premier Team.
But yeah anyway- the taipari name carries a lot of mana.

Back