Recruitment Warriors 2024/2025 Recruitment & Retention

Warriors 2024/2025 Recruitment & Retention Discussion
key: T = Team option, M = Mutual option, P = Player option, D = Development contract

Confirmed Top 30 2024: 28/30
Confirmed Development 2024: 5/6

Confirmed Top 30 2025: 25/30
Confirmed Development 2025: 1/6

2025 Gains: Nil
2025 Losses: Addin Fonua-Blake (Sharks)

Last edited:
Do we really need to start targeting union prospects when we've already got some gun juniors coming through our pathways? Already have 29/30 spots filled for 24 and we've just extended a fair few guys for 25 or longer.

Better to stick with guys developing combinations coming through our system who will have more experience in footy imo.
Well it depends how much the nrl are gonna chip in- say they were covering half the salary you'd be mad not to sign a couple up.
Personally I don't really like the whole idea because if they make union players that attractive it is a kick in the guts to the leaguies coming through and young kids looking at the 2 codes may start to think that the union route actually gives them a better crack at making the nrl than the league pathways do.

Well it depends how much the nrl are gonna chip in- say they were covering half the salary you'd be mad not to sign a couple up.
Personally I don't really like the whole idea because if they make union players that attractive it is a kick in the guts to the leaguies coming through and young kids looking at the 2 codes may start to think that the union route actually gives them a better crack at making the nrl than the league pathways do.

Are the rumours that the NRL will be paying for the extra? I was assuming that it just meant a % off the players contract wouldn't count against the salary cap, and that the club would still have to pay for it- meaning the rule would advantage the richer teams

Still agree though, seems like PVL is cutting off his nose to spite his face; If it does become a thing, I hope it is temporary and they get rid of it just before the RWC

Are the rumours that the NRL will be paying for the extra? I was assuming that it just meant a % off the players contract wouldn't count against the salary cap, and that the club would still have to pay for it- meaning the rule would advantage the richer teams

Still agree though, seems like PVL is cutting off his nose to spite his face; If it does become a thing, I hope it is temporary and they get rid of it just before the RWC
Yeah idk- its being reported like its a done deal but from everything I've read its still just an idea (could even call it a threat). I wouldn't be surprised when they looked a bit deeper if they decided it wasn't such a great idea after all.

I've never seen that union player who the Roosters signed play, but it doesn't matter how good he is, I can't imagine the Roosters signing an untested outside back to 900k for 2 years with out being certain they'd get a fair chunk of that back (or not count against the cap).

450k for a winger would be pretty decent coin in the NRL I'm guessing, with only the top 20% of wingers are earning much more than that...

That salary cap exemption for union players didn’t get passed…..I’ll try find the link

I've never seen that union player who the Roosters signed play, but it doesn't matter how good he is, I can't imagine the Roosters signing an untested outside back to 900k for 2 years with out being certain they'd get a fair chunk of that back (or not count against the cap).

450k for a winger would be pretty decent coin in the NRL I'm guessing, with only the top 20% of wingers are earning much more than that...
They must think he's the next Warbrick then. V'landys' idea just sounds like a pissing contest between the roosters and the ARU.

No one’s going to top the dragons offer.
So… Wahs have said we need a player back. Sharks screwed us with Metcalf. I suspect we will return serve here. I doubt he goes there. As for St George, I see a swap for hunt and we swap hunt for a prop from titans… but who knows.

The longer this goes on the more likely AFB may stay beyond 2024…

He may agree terms but we have terms too. He is under contract to 2026.

So… Wahs have said we need a player back. Sharks screwed us with Metcalf. I suspect we will return serve here. I doubt he goes there. As for St George, I see a swap for hunt and we swap hunt for a prop from titans… but who knows.

The longer this goes on the more likely AFB may stay beyond 2024…

He may agree terms but we have terms too. He is under contract to 2026.
Reports of Luki having a look there so they obviously after a second rower, and we were after Su’a. They’ve been saying he’s going to dolphins for some time now though. Also interesting the roosters still haven’t locked up Joseph Manu since he hit the market, dragons offered him $1.2 million over 4 years. Surely only way dragons let Hunt go is if they get Dearden. Man we love a second rower, surprised we haven’t inquired about Luki.

Bulldogs and now Tigers withdraw offers for AFB.
So Dragons and Sharkies left???
Options dwindling pretty quickly for AFB.
Which does put the Warriors in the driver's seat. To a point.
AFB v AFB - Addin v Ana. Both could be really selfish here and say "Well, if we stay here/leave here, then my career suffers." (Cookies v Rugby League).
Whatever marriage/relationship issues Addin being at the Warriors and Ana making cookies throws at the FBs isn't A) The Warriors' business and frankly isn't B) The Warriors' problem.
The Warriors could throw the "We'll release You, but only if we can find another You" ball at Addin, like they did with Sam and if they don't find another Addin (one season of greatness won't necessarily get The Big Signings Coming To Auckland, frankly, maybe even two won't) which they did with Roger, well he's stuck at the Warriors until his contract comes to the magical 1 November date where he can just leave.
Or they could just say, "Ah, fuck it, his heart isn't in it, his performances suck, we're just gonna have to cobble together some kind of forward pack that will do the job and hope a couple of the young middles as well as Marata come good."
I'd go with the second option, as I've indicated previously. No Shitty Attitude Players In My Team (c) (p).

Back