TeamList Warriors vs Manly - [Round 6, 2024]

Wow they look so happy

And are they trying to get a contract with Auckland FC lol, mean soccer skills
Great seeing our club working with other sports balls.

The mighty 2002 side were the same, they used basketball as a training aid. Cue Rabs Warren Screaming "They're playing basketball".

Rugby ball handling is a specialized field, thanks to geometry and physics - which counter intuitively can be restrictive in terms of brain development and hand eye coordination.

Training with different types of balls is called differential training.

Last edited:
Great seeing our club working with other sports balls.

The mighty 2002 side were the same, they used basketball as a training aid. Cue Rabs Warren Screaming "They're playing basketball".

Rugby ball handling is a specialized field, thanks to geometry and physics - which counter intuitively can be restrictive in terms of brain development and hand eye coordination.

Training with different types of balls is called differential training.

Imagine league is a martial art or fighting sport. Training on game balls only...is like training on a punching bag of one type....no speed ball....no medicine ball.....no rope jumping for footwork, no pads.

Differential training makes an athlete understand how their body moves in different conditions, while learning to tame them and therefore still achieve the same outcome.

Different tools in other words, tune the human machine to work in different environments (Big Basket ball, hard wooden surface, the body learns new ways to master motion and reaction).

Breaking it down a little more, basketballers have great hands at catching Rugby balls, because the open hand position they adopt for a large round ball, is the best position for catching a rugby ball, and the constant passing in basketball, promotes passing balls and making trick passes in the Rugby codes.

Taking a broader view, soccer players who become Rugby code players almost always end up in the five percentile of best kickers in the Rugby codes...because using their feet on balls is Bushido...a way of life...a way of the Samurai.

A top footballer can strike a ball better than any Rugby code kicker, because they have spent the ten thousand hours on feet kicks ball that the Rugby kickers are thousands upon thousands of hours behind.

Which is why I have been for thirty years, the voice in NZ rugby league forums, that says any parent of any halfback/standoff, who wants their kid to be the next thing in this sport in NZ....should put their kid through kicking drills from the first day they decide to play Rugby league, and to push their kid like a Ballet mom to kick balls because if they listen to me...they are adding a three quarters of a million dollars and a NRL scouts bullseye on top of their kids other skills.

I keep posting this because I know somewhere in forum land a Mum and Dad of some kid in the halves in our sport in some far off comp is gonna read it (hey Mum and dad of said kid, I raised an Olympic swimming kid who beat the current best Olympic contenders in the NZ team but my girl asked me if I would have a problem if she quit, to which I said, nah bub fuck sport if you want out Dad wants you out, but before that convo my girl carved up every olympic hopeful in this generation).

I understand training of elite kids, I used to wake my own daughter at quarter to five in the morning six days a week before training and school to protein and carbo load with meal packages from the fridge carefully managed the night before, then watch my little childE swim thousands and thousands of miles a week before primary school started classes, only to take her back in the evenings for thousands of more kilometers of work in the afternoon as soon as the school bell rang.

As such our Development players are pussies completely under trained in skill and stamina compared to what little girls do in the pool and gymnastics under eastern European coaches in any given city in this country.

Our Child halves should be kicking like they want to be Maradona hand of God, foot of Jesus at training, and they should be trying to move and pass like Michael Jordan in training, for a hundreds of hours in a month, that will guarantee them entry to the door, the rest of the skills in rugby league they may or may not have, clubs will ignore and sign them anyway in the hope they can train the tackling side, the talking side, and any other teachable skill on top...coz any child half that is an insane kicker with mad passing skills is instant millionaire in the NZ RL scene and a star across the NRL.

Even changing sides and practice non-dominant hands then return to the usual sides later will stimulate the brain a lot, cross training is great

Congrats on your girl's achievement, did she move to different disciplines or work later on? What a hardcore team effort there man

She is at Otago to studying medicine because she decided that brain work was above physical accolades.

Agree with the handedness drills to develop the mind.

The point I would really like to make is imagine if our league kids spent thousands worth of swim miles six days a week to be better as a norm......

Imagine that....we would leave the NRL behind by some distance by adopting Olympic standards.
Hi Sup42. Good for you and your daughter.
When I hear these things about kids and especially RL I remember a story from parents in the Gold Coast.
One guy who has a boy playing junior RL was telling me how he was teaching his son about tackling and how he was just slapping the opposition across the titties 😂
His son was about 10 years old and he was teaching him to drive up under the ribs and he got me thinking.
Most nz parents I have seen would have been very happy to just have their kid playing.
The intensity and development is the difference in standards

Not sure about Manly bit our form in the wet last year was sh**
Well, we beat Cronulla in a cyclone…

Rain won’t be a factor - showers at best. Wind will be an issue - decent westerly so that will play a part.

Manly are always dangerous but we are 50% better defensively this year compared to 2023. I back our guys to strangle them in D.

Back