1. Centre
  2. Winger
Nickname
Wets
Warrior #
Warriors Debut Date
Jul 19, 2019
Warriors Debut Details
July 19 2019, Round 18 vs Cronulla-Sutherland Sharks at Westpac Stadium, Wellington, New Zealand
Warriors Years Active
  1. 2019
  2. 2020
  3. 2021
  4. 2022
  5. 2023
  6. 2024
Signed From
Wyong Roos
Rep Honours
  1. NZ Maori
Wikipedia
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Adam_Pompey
Rugby League Project
https://www.rugbyleagueproject.org/players/adam-pompey/summary.html
I think there's some unexplored value in analyzing your edges speed, acceleration, reaction, and agility in relation to each other.
They must track speed in the off season as you see the odd fluff article where clubs say who's the fastest or strongest etc without giving numbers. One of the most effective tests I use is a 60m with the relation of the first 30m to the last 30m timed electronically. The first 30m from a static start should be a second more than the last 30m. So an 8 second 60m should have a 4.5/3.5 split for example. Any deviation shows that either the start or the top end speed can be improved.

As for combinations, the problem could be starting further in. If Ford is slow to react then Pompey has to hold his position a split second longer which means Montoya has to do the same and neither have the agility to scramble and cover the outside. I'm sure that all gets picked up in video sessions. Then you have wingers who jam in because they don't trust their centres.

Last edited:
They must track speed in the off season as you see the odd fluff article where clubs say who's the fastest or strongest etc without giving numbers. One of the most effective tests I use is a 60m with the relation of the first 30m to the last 30m timed electronically. The first 30m from a static start should be a second more than the last 30m. So an 8 second 60m should have a 4.5/3.5 split for example. Any deviation shows that either the start or the top end speed can be improved.

As for combinations, the problem could be starting further in. If Ford is slow to react then Pompey has to hold his position a split second longer which means Montoya has to do the same and neither have the agility to scramble and cover the outside. I'm sure that all gets picked up in video sessions. Then you have wingers who jam in because they don't trust their centres.
I meant more like maybe you can have a slow winger as long as you have a center with quick reflexes type stuff

I meant more like maybe you can have a slow winger as long as you have a center with quick reflexes type stuff
I think so, the wing should be already be moving when they get the ball from their centre so top speed is more important than acceleration. Our best centre wing pairings have been short powerful centres who can get behind a defender and put their bigger winger into space. When you do have a taller centre, 100kgs seems to be the heaviest they can be without sacrificing a significant amount of speed. Pompey would be around that weight.

I believe one of the true benefits of sprint training is learning how to relax and conserve energy on maximum speed efforts. I use the Jet vs the Fox as an example of untrained natural speed vs trained speed. Roberts was undoubtedly faster off the mark than Ado Carr but he was a very tense runner on maximum efforts, the colour would drain from his face and he'd be fk'd on defence for at least 5 minutes. Ado Carr is relaxed and can back up a maximum effort almost immediately. Charnze and Montoya are tense sprinters, Pompey, DWZ and Berry are fairly relaxed. I guess the problem is when relaxed becomes casual but good anticipation helps. If you expect the line to be broken and are ready to react to it when it does happen, you should have a better chance of running the line break down.

I think so, the wing should be already be moving when they get the ball from their centre so top speed is more important than acceleration. Our best centre wing pairings have been short powerful centres who can get behind a defender and put their bigger winger into space. When you do have a taller centre, 100kgs seems to be the heaviest they can be without sacrificing a significant amount of speed. Pompey would be around that weight.

I believe one of the true benefits of sprint training is learning how to relax and conserve energy on maximum speed efforts. I use the Jet vs the Fox as an example of untrained natural speed vs trained speed. Roberts was undoubtedly faster off the mark than Ado Carr but he was a very tense runner on maximum efforts, the colour would drain from his face and he'd be fk'd on defence for at least 5 minutes. Ado Carr is relaxed and can back up a maximum effort almost immediately. Charnze and Montoya are tense sprinters, Pompey, DWZ and Berry are fairly relaxed. I guess the problem is when relaxed becomes casual but good anticipation helps. If you expect the line to be broken and are ready to react to it when it does happen, you should have a better chance of running the line break down.
Excellent analysis. That sort of insight is what I was talking about.

Now I think there is value in also reverse engineering that and analysing the type of players a team DOES have, to then narrow down the types of players they should be looking for.

Excellent analysis. That sort of insight is what I was talking about.

Now I think there is value in also reverse engineering that and analysing the type of players a team DOES have, to then narrow down the types of players they should be looking for.
For players in the pathways they’re already analysing body types (peak height and weight velocity calculations etc) and athleticism. especially the younger grades. And the current state of the game dictates what thise optimal athletic qualities should be. It’s likely that some juniors they signed years ago are no longer suitable for the speed of the modern game. Wingers and centres should be homegrown IMO so the club should have more control over the compatibility and chemistry of the players in those positions. Every other club does.

Back