Recruitment Warriors 2024/2025 Recruitment & Retention

Warriors 2024/2025 Recruitment & Retention Discussion
key: T = Team option, M = Mutual option, P = Player option, D = Development contract

Confirmed Top 30 2024: 28/30
Confirmed Development 2024: 5/6

Confirmed Top 30 2025: 25/30
Confirmed Development 2025: 1/6

2025 Gains: Nil
2025 Losses: Addin Fonua-Blake (Sharks)

Last edited:
If the $ is there for Capewell from 2024 then why not go all in while AFB is still there too?
If it speeds up AFB's departure then it's not as positive unless there's additional peices like Stefano coming too

8 AFB
10 Niukore
11 Ford (place holder for Halasima)
12 Capewell (played a bit outside SJ on the right at Cronulla)
13 Harris

15 Barnett
16 Ale/Zyon Maiu’u/Tevaga/Bunty

Last edited:
Capewell is a solid buy imo I wouldn't say he has any x factor but he's got the big play at the right time is pretty reliable and hes been around a while just like the webby connection has brought him to us his connections could bring us another player we want I honestly like the move ya don't make the grand final with 3 different teams in a short period and be completely useless and if it means he takes maratas spot I would be even happier because he was prone to mistakes and think he would be better utilized at prop

The Warriors are reportedly set to sign Broncos back-rower Kurt Capewell on a three-year deal effective immediately after a meeting with coach Andrew Webster.

The Daily Telegraph reported the Warriors are the favourites to sign Capewell, with the Broncos star potentially cutting short his Brisbane deal which expires at the end of 2024.

Capewell toured the facilities of the Auckland club this weekend and had dinner with Webster at Auckland’s Viaduct Harbour on Friday night, with the pair still close with from their time together at the Panthers.
The Warriors are willing to offer three years, but want Capewell to join the club immediately after letting Josh Curran go to join the Bulldogs, which opened up a spot on their roster.

The Broncos have recently re-signed Jordan Riki and Brendan Piakura until the end of 2027 and still have to upgrade Reece Walsh and Ezra Mam, which means they won’t have the funds to keep Capewell.

The Warriors want Capewell’s experience and winning mentality to help take their young forward pack to the next level.

His signing would go some way towards offsetting the pending departure of Addin Fonua-Blake, who will leave the club at the end of the 2024 season and has been linked to the Tigers, Bulldogs and Dragons.

The 30-year-old was at the Sharks when they won the 2016 grand final and won a premiership with Penrith in 2021 before making the decider with Brisbane last season.

It remains to be seen if the Broncos would allow Capewell to leave immediately but it would help ease salary cap pressure in their bid to lock up their spine stars Walsh and Mam.

Capewell has scored 27 tries in 139 NRL games for the Sharks, Panthers and Broncos since his debut in 2016 and has played nine Origins for Queensland to date.

Capewell has scored 11 tries in 43 games for the Broncos since joining the club in 2022

Last edited:
Anyone think CHT has a real chance to become a decent 9? I know we have Eagan, but his health worries me, and CHT has good d, runs enough and can pass.

Thoughts?

I think next year he'll take Sirro's spot, can fill in at FB, Halves, backrow and hooker. If he's smart he'll really work on hooker as that will keep him in the team all year.

However with Tohu slowing down I think it would be crazy to not look at him as that link middle that teams love. Someone pointed out but he's similar weight to Cam Murry, Connor Watson and Vic Radley so size shouldn't be an issue for him. Has good defence and a lot of heart. Crazy to think he's still only 24 so really could have another 10 years left

I like the move for Niukore to prop. I’d put Fire on Johnson’s Edge and Capewell to his preferred side on the left
There’s also the potential for Ale to really become a consistent performer and the hopeful emergence of Zyon Maiu’u. Really got high hopes for him as an impact prop off the bench, he’s also one of a few playing for his next contract. Looks in impressive condition on the instagram site in small bits of footage.

I thought we were gonna focus on our young guys hence getting rid of Curran? Capewells been average since about 2020-21. Make it make sense

While we have all of these experiences guys around - SJ, AFB, Tohu, Roger, DWZ, Walker and now hopefully Capewell you can splash a few newbies in to the team and you can cover for their mistakes and inexperience.

We tried to playing with lots of rookies last year and we went shithouse. 7 players (8 if RW was available) started Rd 1 with less than 40 games to their name. We got absolutely pumped. We've still got quite a few younger guys like Berry, Ford, Ale, Metcalf and CHT in the team, but then in the next 2 years were probably hoping players like Zyon Maiu’u, Laban, Leka, Volkman, Sifakula and Ali all come through. Getting 5 juniors to play 20+ matches in 2 years is quite the challenge, especially when you have 5-6 guys who barely have 40 games to their name too. That's a whole lot of rookie, so we deffo need some experience for sure

His shoulder is absolutely cooked, and some of those tackles he was missing in the GF gave my Grandma the idea that she could still make a play for a top 30 spot on a roster.

I guess with Curran and Siro moving on we are a bit light on experienced edge backrowers.

All just feels a bit meh, guess you have to fill the squad so is what it is. Hopefully not on silly money.

His shoulder is absolutely cooked, and some of those tackles he was missing in the GF gave my Grandma the idea that she could still make a play for a top 30 spot on a roster.

I guess with Curran and Siro moving on we are a bit light on experienced edge backrowers.

All just feels a bit meh, guess you have to fill the squad so is what it is. Hopefully not on silly money.
Always a good sign when supporters of the team the players leaving is pissed off. Their forum wanted him for another year or two, that’s what experience does.

Back