Recruitment Warriors 2024/2025 Recruitment & Retention

Warriors 2024/2025 Recruitment & Retention Discussion
key: T = Team option, M = Mutual option, P = Player option, D = Development contract

Confirmed Top 30 2024: 28/30
Confirmed Development 2024: 5/6

Confirmed Top 30 2025: 25/30
Confirmed Development 2025: 1/6

2025 Gains: Nil
2025 Losses: Addin Fonua-Blake (Sharks)

Last edited:
How much of the cap is worth spending on Capewell for 3 years..
Given Broncos are keen to get him off their books I'm guessing they would pay a little freight. Not much, but I reckon maybe 50-100k for 2024. So I reckon we'd get him for 500k next year, then what, offer 1 mill over those next 2 years - $600k in 2025 and $400 in 2026.

That's some awesome experience and versatility. The guy just comes across as professional and a winner to me. Would be huge for our jnrs I think

Makes you wonder if there was more to him moving on from us.
The interview with Webster the last week or so ago. When he was asked about finding another forward he mentioned there was a gap to fill as a couple of experienced players move on in Sironen and Curran. It sounded like it was a bit of a concern for their depth.

I thought it was a bit bit weird as the two he referred to they chose not to re-sign or released. So it was due to their own decision making.

Sironen may have been to balance the squad and maybe fit in either CHT or one of the promoted Juniors.

Curran there may be a bit more to it. He found it hard to make the starting side, or it could be from his side and wanting to return to Australia. Unless where hear more it's hard to know.

AFB talking with other clubs now makes sense from his side. It gets it out of the way while he's in Sydney and not due back for pre season training. If he finds a club he wants to head to for 2025 I assume it will be a case of coming back to the Warriors as part of the agreement to see out 2024.

The issue will be like us chasing Capewell and wanting him for 2024. His new club will be asking a similar question.

The more he looks around the harder it will be for us to see how well 2024 goes and if we can sort out a solution. Yes we are in Sydney a lot during the season and can make compromises for him to stay in Sydney after games or during the pre-season but it's still not the same as being based there.

If the club has worked with him to see out 2024 I'd rather him spend more time looking now instead of during the season.

From memory we made a play at him when he was leaving the Panthers. He was a very versatile player at that time. If it is more or less a replacement for Curran then I'm fine with it, he is a useful player.
I think he's been mentioned a few times as a potential target and he's ended up signing elsewhere. If he signs I'll look at it as a positive in terms of experience. Just that it may have been at the previous attempts. The main thing now is we have a coach who is getting more out of the players and has history with him.

The previous times I was in favour of signing him as he would cover an edge or potentially centre if someone was injured. He would have also been in his prime. Now I'm a bit mixed as he's older. We got smashed by the Broncos in the semi and a big contributing factor was their additional speed and their powerful dynamic forwards.

Capewell gives me massive Hoffmann vibes. Best years are behind him and the game demands youth and speed just slightly over experience these days. I’d rather go with RTS and the guys whose name runes with ferry in centres and Ali “let’s eat” leiutua and ford as edges and move Marata to the middle.
Great comparison with Hoffman. I just have to put trust in Webby.
Prefer Nikoure as a middle so I am happy with that move.

Ford had a couple of games off the bench towards the end of the year and I quite liked his impact. He does seem to be a super fit guy, but would let him self down with penalties and errors which I guess comes down to inexperience and fatigue, so maybe giving him 40 minutes off the bench with Capewell starting could improve his output.

I was hoping for a prop enabling Barnett to move back to 2nd row, but Capewell would be a massive pick up.
I wonder if RTS had salary exemption coming from RU? Capewell won’t be cheap.
Capewell is down at MSS now.
Have you got some sort of spy camera at Penrose
How do you know Capewell is there now?
What’s your source?

NRL signing news: New Zealand Warriors favourites to sign Broncos forward Kurt Capewell | Daily Telegraph​

The Warriors have emerged as shock favourites to sign premiership-winner Kurt Capewell — and the New Zealand franchise are aiming to sign the Broncos forward immediately.
In what would prove a major coup for the ever-evolving Warriors, Capewell is using his off-season holidays to tour the club’s facilities this weekend in Auckland.

The Queensland State of Origin forward remains contracted to the Broncos until the end of next season, but the Warriors would want him to gain an immediate release to join them in 2024.

It’s understood the Warriors are willing to offer the 30-year-old a three-year deal.

The eager pursuit of Capewell by the Warriors has been made available due to the departure of Josh Curran to the Bulldogs.

A key member of the Panthers 2021 premiership, Capewell was spotted having dinner with Warriors coach Andrew Webster at Auckland’s Viaduct Harbour on Friday night.

Webster’s relationship with Capewell dates back to 2021 when he was the assistant coach at Penrith.

Kurt Capewell could be on his way to the Warriors. Picture: Getty Images

Kurt Capewell could be on his way to the Warriors. Picture: Getty Images
Capewell boasts a winning reputation having experienced success at each of the three clubs he has played for.

The strike backrower played a role in the Sharks 2016 premiership season, went all the way with Penrith in 2021, before playing in last season’s grand final with the Broncos.

Off-contract at the end of 2024, Capewell’s chances of staying at the Broncos have diminished due to the club’s recent re-signing of rising backrowers Brendan Piakura (2027) and Jordan Riki (2027).

The Broncos are also in the process of attempting to re-sign star fullback Reece Walsh and outstanding young half Ezra Mam.

It’s anticipated that the Warriors would be willing to offer Capewell a three-year deal to play in the back row.

His signing would also enable the Warriors to push Marata Niukore from the edge of the forwards and into the middle of the field, where the latter could be used to fill the void of Addin Fonua-Blake, who has requested a release for 2025.

The Warriors also view Capewell, who has played 139-games and nine Origin matches, as the perfect leader to aid the club’s development of their younger forwards.

The acquisition of Capewell would also allow the Warriors to boast one of the strongest leadership groups in the NRL with Shaun Johnson, Tohu Harris and Roger Tuivasa-Sheck considered three of the game’s most experienced and respected figureheads.

Originally published as New Zealand Warriors favourites to sign Broncos forward Kurt Capewell
So we went for Riki and we ended up with Capewell 🤔 i trust in the tape they are using to hold Tohu up, so he could be a good signing.

Capewell gives me massive Hoffmann vibes. Best years are behind him and the game demands youth and speed just slightly over experience these days. I’d rather go with RTS and the guys whose name runes with ferry in centres and Ali “let’s eat” leiutua and ford as edges and move Marata to the middle.
People forget Hoffman was coming off a massive season where he was the origin player of the year. I feel it’s hard to act like he underperformed. He wasn’t exactly the problem with the team those seasons.

Didn’t we have a similar sentiment on Ford in pre season 2023? He went alright… just sayin’

Back