Sports Black Caps

I think the T20 world cup squad is set

1 D Conway wk
2 F Allen
3 K Williamson c
4 D Mitchell
5 G Phillips

Only position to sort is 6, and I would go with Josh Clarkson as the all rounder.

6 J Clarkson
7 M Santner
8 A Milne
9 L Furguson
10 T Southee
11 I Sodhi

12 J Neesham
13 M Chapman
14 T Seifert wk
15 T Boult (backup)

My NZ ATG Test Side

1 Turner
2 Wrighty - Richardson averaged more but Wright did it against harder attacks
3 Kane
4 Crowe
5 Rossco
6 Sutcliffe
7 D Vettori
8 Hadleei
9 Ian Smith (Keeper)
10 Tim Southee
11 Trent Boult

Sorry Jack Cowie and Donnelly etc

The only problem with my side is that there is no realistic 5th bowling option. Kane has a suspect action and so maybe Martin needs to bowl five overs of rubbish slow medium each day
Here’s mine

Glen Turner
Bert Sutcliffe
KaneWilliamson
Martin Crowe
Ross Taylor
Chris Cairns
Brendon Mccullum
Richard Hadlee
Shane Bond
Jack Cowie
Daniel Vettori

Here’s mine

Glen Turner
Bert Sutcliffe
KaneWilliamson
Martin Crowe
Ross Taylor
Chris Cairns
Brendon Mccullum
Richard Hadlee
Shane Bond
Jack Cowie
Daniel Vettori
Love it

The reason I didn't go with Bond is that he did not display longevity while Southee and Boult produced excellence over a longer period. But I hear you putting him in.

Like the nod to Cowie as well.

Yes I am now thinking i should have gone sutcliffe opening and Cairns six

I do think Ian Smith is a much better glovesman than Baz and there is enough batting there without adding Brendon
a 7 and 8 of Hadlee and Vettori is strong enough

My two cents only

The Doug on fire with the ball today
Like Cowie, Stewie Dempster didn't play many tests due to the era but was the best opener of his generation. There is strong argument to have him as opener with Turner.
Dempsters average is insane and he didn’t play against any shit teams.
If I was putting him in it would be for Turner and I would keep Bert Sutcliffe.

Love it

The reason I didn't go with Bond is that he did not display longevity while Southee and Boult produced excellence over a longer period. But I hear you putting him in.

I do think Ian Smith is a much better glovesman than Baz and there is enough batting there without adding Brendon

My two cents only

I like your reply Wrighty.
I have gone with BMac because of the batting but his keeping was decent enough for tests do you think.

Love it

My two cents only
Bond was Hadlee like at peak before injuries f***ed him.

I like your reply Wrighty.
I have gone with BMac because of the batting but his keeping was decent enough for tests do you think.
Tests as KeeperCatchesStumpingsDismissalsDismissals/Test
BMAC
52​
167​
11​
178​
3.423077​
Ian Smith
63​
168​
8​
176​
2.793651​

Interestingly BMAC Had more dismissals per test despite Smith Keeping to Paddles

I was too young for the Smithy era, but BMac was super sharp as a keeper. It was only because of the workload of the three formats on his knees that he had to give it up for tests.

BJ Watling would be my choice, with IDS Smith next and BMac third for what its worth.

Additionally, everything I have read and heard would suggest that Ken Wadsworth could have the best keeper we ever produced but sadly his career was cruelly cut short by cancer at the very young age of 29, RIP.

Last edited:
BJ Watling would be my choice, with IDS Smith next and BMac third for what its worth.

Additionally, everything I have read and head would suggest the Ken Wadsworth could have the best keeper we ever produced but sadly his career was cruelly cut short by cancer at the very young age of 29, RIP.
You could well be right with Wadsworth.Worked with him when he was a Salesman for Freightways.Nice guy,great keeper/batsman

Back