Politics NZ Politics

Who will get your vote in this years election?

• National

Votes: 17 26.2%
  • Labour

Votes: 13 20.0%
  • Act

Votes: 7 10.8%
  • Greens

Votes: 9 13.8%
  • NZ First

Votes: 5 7.7%
  • Māori Party

Votes: 3 4.6%
  • Other

Votes: 11 16.9%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
IMO the socioeconomic psychology of gangs has no impact on whether we as a society should be lenient on law breakers.

Being tough on crime is one aspect of addressing a massive problem we are currently having. It certainly shouldn't be the only option.
It's ok to admit it's a pretty stupid thing for a potential police minister to suggest he's going to implement...

Can you imagine the logistic and potential issues.

Pretty dense thinking

It's ok to admit it's a pretty stupid thing for a potential police minister to suggest he's going to implement...

Can you imagine the logistic and potential issues.

Pretty dense thinking
No different to what they have done in Western Australia. I prefer this over the lenient approach we have seen in the last 6 years. Also prefer it to other parties wanting to abolish prisons. I hope we have the resources and desire to go back to a 'broken windows' type of policing. Also, would like to see the removal of tax payer funded 'cultural reports'

We need to respond to the root causes as well. It isn't a one or the other approach.

How can there be a gender pay gap when we can’t even define what a woman is?
CLCesrOUwAAOXiS.png

No different to what they have done in Western Australia. I prefer this over the lenient approach we have seen in the last 6 years. Also prefer it to other parties wanting to abolish prisons. I hope we have the resources and desire to go back to a 'broken windows' type of policing. Also, would like to see the removal of tax payer funded 'cultural reports'

We need to respond to the root causes as well. It isn't a one or the other approach.
There's no silver bullet to the gang situation in NZ or with other countries.
The gang lifestyle is ingrained here and has been a problem for many more years than the last 6.
Different governments are trying different solutions without much/any success.
For an incoming Police Minister to suggest that tatooed members cover up with make-up is an absolute joke.
Talk to a gang member and ask if they are concerned.

Just read the article in WA of 3 gang members arrested for not wearing tattoo cover makeup
3 charges. One quashed and 2 acquittals.
No penalties.So much for the WA solution.
Kiwi gang members will be shaking in their boots.

Last edited:
Imagine if some of them did do the whole cover up their tattoos. Go out and offend. They won't match the description as they had a tattoo and the person who assaulted the person or was seen stealing the items in question didn't.

Stopping them wearing their gang insignia will be hard enough to enforce. I can see the police doing it to start with before it gets too hard. Telling grown men to go home and apply some foundation, I can't see working too well.

Imagine if some of them did do the whole cover up their tattoos. Go out and offend. They won't match the description as they had a tattoo and the person who assaulted the person or was seen stealing the items in question didn't.

Stopping them wearing their gang insignia will be hard enough to enforce. I can see the police doing it to start with before it gets too hard. Telling grown men to go home and apply some foundation, I can't see working too well.
The same guy Mitchell has just spent 3 years attacking the labour party for their handling of gangs and has finally come up with this solution.
Complete fuckwit.
Unfortunately

‘On Thursday police launched a homicide investigation into the death of Ruthless-Empire Wall, a baby who they say was killed by blunt force trauma.’

Poor kid. With a name like Ruthless Empire, I don’t think he had much of a chance at life…

Gang family? Go get ‘em National!

‘On Thursday police launched a homicide investigation into the death of Ruthless-Empire Wall, a baby who they say was killed by blunt force trauma.’

Poor kid. With a name like Ruthless Empire, I don’t think he had much of a chance at life…

Gang family? Go get ‘em National!
Unbelievable that these types of people are out there in our community.Very sad 😔

I wonder what the Maori Party's restorative justice would be for a crime like this.
Trying to work out whether that's a crack at restorative justice or Maori.
Or both.
The Maori Party no more condones brutal homicide of babies by anyone, gang member or otherwise, than anyone else in this country. Have never once seen restorative justice mooted for such abhorrent acts ever from them.
And restorative justice is more about justice and wellbeing for a victim first rather than the perp anyway except where the 'crime' is relatively minor and there's opportunity for rehabilitation.
Save the cracks for deserving idiocy

Or both.
The Maori Party no more condones brutal homicide of babies by anyone, gang member or otherwise, than anyone else in this country. Have never once seen restorative justice mooted for such abhorrent acts ever from them.
And restorative justice is more about justice and wellbeing for a victim first rather than the perp anyway except where the 'crime' is relatively minor and there's opportunity for rehabilitation.
My thoughts also.
The comment was in very bad taste considering a young life has been lost

Or both.
So what would thier punishment be with jails abolished?

So what would thier punishment be with jails abolished?
I don't believe the jail abolishing is for violent offenders any more than you probably do if you thought about it.
That is about how ridiculously easy it is to be incarcerated for offenses like non-payment of traffic fines or other fines, petty drug use and abuse etc which is how many Maori and others start in that system.
Jeez, going by the admissions of drug use on here 😆 there but for fortune (or is it perception?) Go you or I...as the song goes.

I don't believe the jail abolishing is for violent offenders any more than you probably do if you thought about it.
That is about how ridiculously easy it is to be incarcerated for offenses like non-payment of traffic fines or other fines, petty drug use and abuse etc which is how many Maori and others start in that system.
Jeez, going by the admissions of drug use on here 😆 there but for fortune (or is it perception?) Go you or I...as the song goes.
That's not what their policy says. And my comments were a crack at that policy. This is an all too familiar tragic death. While there are many fundamental issues that need addressing, not once have I heard that Maori need to take responsibility for their own individual actions. We now have at least two separate divisions of Maori in this country. At one end you have hard working, respectable people with Mana and at the other end you have these low life pieces of shit.

That's not what their policy says. And my comments were a crack at that policy. This is an all too familiar tragic death. While there are many fundamental issues that need addressing, not once have I heard that Maori need to take responsibility for their own individual actions. We now have at least two separate divisions of Maori in this country. At one end you have hard working, respectable people with Mana and at the other end you have these low life pieces of shit.
Not just Maori either. But they get a lot of the press.
Gangs are a scourge no doubt about that and their recruitment policy is drugs and jail.

Not just Maori either. But they get a lot of the press.
Gangs are a scourge no doubt about that and their recruitment policy is drugs and jail.
No, its not just Maori, but it is so disproportionately skewed that way it's beyond a joke anymore. There isn't a person in this country that thinks it's ok to smash a baby in the head with a blunt object. The number of times that there are multiple people in the house at the time that don't stop it, don't get medical help in time, don't report the person responsible. So much for whanau and looking after our tamariki. My Maori relatives get so angry when people like this are reported as being Maori, because they clearly aren't.

No, its not just Maori, but it is so disproportionately skewed that way it's beyond a joke anymore. There isn't a person in this country that thinks it's ok to smash a baby in the head with a blunt object. The number of times that there are multiple people in the house at the time that don't stop it, don't get medical help in time, don't report the person responsible. So much for whanau and looking after our tamariki. My Maori relatives get so angry when people like this are reported as being Maori, because they clearly aren't.
I always call out Maori and Sup calls me out on It 🤣 It's called having standards! My sister got the bash from her Maori husband, so me and my brother went around and put his head through the toilet! He never did It again! 🤣 He actually thanks us every time we have a family gathering for showing him the error of his ways!

I always call out Maori and Sup calls me out on It 🤣 It's called having standards! My sister got the bash from her Maori husband, so me and my brother went around and put his head through the toilet! He never did It again! 🤣 He actually thanks us every time we have a family gathering for showing him the error of his ways!
If he doesn't show enough gratitude, it's back down the toilet.

The successful Maori I know don’t buy into the victim mentality and take responsibility for being a good member of society.

Everyone needs standards and expectations and I don’t see those set from Maori leadership.

Post the policy.

And keep that same energy for white collar criminals and not just brown people.

Back