Recruitment Warriors 2024/2025 Recruitment & Retention

Warriors 2024/2025 Recruitment & Retention Discussion
key: T = Team option, M = Mutual option, P = Player option, D = Development contract

Confirmed Top 30 2024: 28/30
Confirmed Development 2024: 5/6

Confirmed Top 30 2025: 26/30
Confirmed Development 2025: 1/6

2025 Gains: James Fisher-Harris (Panthers), Jett Cleary (Panthers)
2025 Losses: Addin Fonua-Blake (Sharks)
2025 Off Contract: Shaun Johnson, Jazz Tevaga

Last edited:
I think Ale is the forgotten man when we talk about how dire our middle depth is. After a little slump last year I’m hopeful he really kicks on this year.
Did he have a slump last year? I thought he was good- would've liked to see him play a few more minutes (only averaged 25) but his output was good.

Did he have a slump last year? I thought he was good- would've liked to see him play a few more minutes (only averaged 25) but his output was good.
Slump prob not the correct term. He just didn’t go to the next level like most of us expected. I don’t think he is a 10min stint player like he was used last year. I think Zyon Maiu’u will be good for that 10-15min shift, and yeah Ale needs longer mins. Unfortunately the one start he got last year, he got pushed back on the first tackle and I think it dented his confidence a bit.

I am not quite convinced about Ale as he kind of underwhelmed me last season. I find it difficult to pinpoint exactly why as I do remember him being able to step before the line and therefore having a resemblance to AFB. He also appeared to play fewer minutes. I guess because he was coming back from injury he deserves some leeway. I would still love a barnstorming tackle breaking interchange if one becomes or is available. This is a season as good as ever to go on a serious run.

Hope he finds another level, but as the seasons go by Ale feels more and more like a guy who is too good for NSW Cup but just can't find the switch to translate that to first grade.

Hope he finds it soon.
I’m sorry to say that in numerous games last year I noticed he just didn’t have the punch to push through the line. Some body shapes and weight distributions work better than others. Seems he’s better with a bit more space to use his footwork and the close combat prop hit ups seem to have him struggling against some packs.

I’m sorry to say that in numerous games last year I noticed he just didn’t have the punch to push through the line. Some body shapes and weight distributions work better than others. Seems he’s better with a bit more space to use his footwork and the close combat prop hit ups seem to have him struggling against some packs.
He does seem to struggle making metres as a short and stocky prop, good game awareness and footwork though. Plays 13 ideally but doubt he's taking Tohu's spot. Hoping he has a breakout year, think he turns 25 so should be coming into his prime soon.

He does seem to struggle making metres as a short and stocky prop, good game awareness and footwork though. Plays 13 ideally but doubt he's taking Tohu's spot. Hoping he has a breakout year, think he turns 25 so should be coming into his prime soon.
This could be my imagination but I feel the point of contact collision strength have increased markedly from a defensive impact point of view. Ale has seem marginalised by this trend last year. But this is just my eye test telling me this and a player would need to confirm if true.

This could be my imagination but I feel the point of contact collision strength have increased markedly from a defensive impact point of view. Ale has seem marginalised by this trend last year. But this is just my eye test telling me this and a player would need to confirm if true.
He seems easily contained and pushed back in gang tackles, no idea why, maybe not enough leg drive or something. Jazz is a small forward and makes pcm's so it's not necessarily a size issue. Maybe the stats prove us wrong and he makes more metres than Jazz.

As Boston Boy said he's good with a bit of space, one of my favourite moments last year:

Last edited:
Just some stats on Ale.
Last year he averaged 25 minutes for 74m and 96% tackle efficiency.
He played over 40 minutes only twice and over 30 minutes 5 times. In those 7 games he averaged 112m.
Wow quite surprising. Those are bloody good considering he’s had alot of injuries, still just getting started and little mins.
I think we all just get blindsided by a couple of negative plays.
He could really kick on still

Wow quite surprising. Those are bloody good considering he’s had alot of injuries, still just getting started and little mins.
I think we all just get blindsided by a couple of negative plays.
He could really kick on still

To be honest I'm really surprised at all how many are unimpressed by Ale. Imo he's essentially a 22/23 year old - COVID and that ACL has meant that before last year he had only played a handful of games in the last 3 years so his development has been staggered.

One full year under his belt last year, he should be coming in to his prime physical condition at 25 yrs old and could finish the year with over 50 career games.

I'm hoping he builds towards having a consistent 35-40 minutes a game by the back end of the year and smashing out 120m a game. He's already been really good on D and minimal errors/penalties (7 total for last year combined), so I think a bit more game time and we'll see him carve up

To be honest I'm really surprised at all how many are unimpressed by Ale. Imo he's essentially a 22/23 year old - COVID and that ACL has meant that before last year he had only played a handful of games in the last 3 years so his development has been staggered.

One full year under his belt last year, he should be coming in to his prime physical condition at 25 yrs old and could finish the year with over 50 career games.

I'm hoping he builds towards having a consistent 35-40 minutes a game by the back end of the year and smashing out 120m a game. He's already been really good on D and minimal errors/penalties (7 total for last year combined), so I think a bit more game time and we'll see him carve up
Tooks is on a roll.

Big fan of Ale. Not every player can come out and dominate immediately. I think he has the physical attributes, he just needs those footy smarts on how to use his body, angles, etc.

‘Won’t be here’: Cowboys coach Todd Payten ignites Jason Taumalolo rumour mill​

Andrew McMurtry
Cowboys coach Todd Payten has dropped a bombshell comment over one of his club’s most decorated stars after dropping the axe on his 2023 captains.
North Queensland Cowboys coach Todd Payten has raised more than a few eyebrows after opening up on his surprise call to replace his captains.
The Cowboys were shock underperformers in 2023, missing the finals after their preliminary final berth in 2022.

Stream Over 50 Sports Live & On-Demand with Kayo. New to Kayo? Start Your Free Trial Today >

So the Cowboys have made a move, replacing 33-year-old halfback Chad Townsend and 30-year-old club legend Jason Taumalolo with 25-year-old Reuben Cotter and 22-year-old Tom Dearden.

Both Cotter and Dearden have represented Queensland at State of Origin level.

Payten said the new captains are “what this club was built for”.

But it’s the replacement of Taumalolo and Townsend that surprised most.

The pair will play for the Cowboys this season with Townsend off-contract at the end of the year.

However, Taumalolo is still in the middle of his monster 10-year deal at the club, which is set to end after 2027.

Which makes Payten’s comments on Triple M’s The Rush Hour QLD with AB and Elliott all the more intriguing.

“It’s a long-term decision to be fair,” Payten explained.

“Looking at our group, a few guys right at the back end of their career and over the course of the next 12 months or next two seasons, they won’t be here for a number of reasons and we needed to make a shift in that regard so that we had enough time to give the support that Tommy and Reubs need to develop into the best captain they can be when all that experience around them is gone.”

Payten also praised both players but added they were blindsided by the call.

“They were a little bit surprised, but they understood where I was coming from,” Payten added.

“Both those guys have shown great humility around the decision and they’re willing and want us to be successful.”

Payten at pre-season training. Photo by Ian Hitchcock/Getty Images

Payten at pre-season training. Photo by Ian Hitchcock/Getty Images
Since coming into the NRL as a coach, Payten has been nothing if not a straight shooter, seemingly hinting at the fact Taumalolo was on the outer from the club having been unable to recapture the form of his early career which saw him star in the club’s 2015 premiership and win the 2016 Dally M.

There’s been no secret Taumalolo’s nearly $1m a season contract takes up a large chuck of salary cap space, while he his on-field performances have shown he doesn’t appear to gel with Payten’s strategy almost from day one.

Taumalolo’s 2023 season was a nightmare individually, failing to score a try for the first time in a full season of his career, while he also registered just 31 tackle breaks (career low), three offloads (career low), 2293m overall (lowest since 2012) at an average of 143m per game (lowest since 2013) in 16 games in 2023.

Maybe Taumalolo needs a change of scenery. Photo by Chris Hyde/Getty Images

Maybe Taumalolo needs a change of scenery. Photo by Chris Hyde/Getty Images
He also didn’t have a try assist and registered just one line break.

Early in 2022, former Queensland Origin star Ben Te’o declared Taumalolo and Payten’s relationship “untenable” and said “one needs to go”.

The latest move, and particularly Payten’s comments, have seemingly reignited rumour mill that Taumalolo is on the outer at the club.

Speaking on LISTNR podcast Footy Talk, Newcorp footy journalist Brent Read said there had been “whispers they’re not on the same page”.

“I think he’d be a great pick up for the Dogs, because they’re desperately short of middles,” Read said. “I think he’d be a great pick up for the Dragons, and the Dragons need a kill.”

Nine’s Michael Chammas said he believed some teams would baulk at a price tag of $950,000, but suggested he’d “would be a bad buy” for $750,000 $800,000.

Read related topics:Brisbane