Sports Rugby

I am not surprised on the Rebels news when you look at how bad their financial situation is.

A few other clubs must be struggling when you look the crowds at some of the games.

As much as we take glee in unions struggles, I hope it’s not foreshadowing a changing future for all professional sport. Canary in the coal mine stuff?

League is strong now but we have the same issues where the players want to cream for the here and now at the expense of the health of the masses. A slight hiccup in league funding and the whole house of cards could be in life support.

Things like decreasing playing number in juniors, injury and concussion enforced rule changes, etc affect league as well as union…

As much as we take glee in unions struggles, I hope it’s not foreshadowing a changing future for all professional sport. Canary in the coal mine stuff?

League is strong now but we have the same issues where the players want to cream for the here and now at the expense of the health of the masses. A slight hiccup in league funding and the whole house of cards could be in life support.

Things like decreasing playing number in juniors, injury and concussion enforced rule changes, etc affect league as well as union…
No sympathy from me here. They've (Union Management) trodden over us for many years, as have the media etc. Stadium debate being a good example. It's our time to be in the sun!

Blues semi can't sell out. It's a sad state of affairs.

On the other hand we might sell out every game, an NRL record.

Auckland Grammar Vs Kings First XV tomorrow will probably have more people than the Blues semi…. I have no idea who they’re even playing????!!!! 😂

60%+ stadium empty…compare that to early 2000s or mid 2010s…. I remember union had a drought after the 2007 world cup (earliest exit after dream team got knocked out by host France again, played in Wales because France couldn’t even top their own pool)

Is it due to law changes? Do Young people prefer watching Wahs? Would love to see any rating stats…ticket prices? Attention span? Wonder how many will turn up for the Hurricane Chiefs game

Union so desperate they are making documentary on Razor already, I am a fan so hopefully he creams other nations and win a world cup after snubbed twice by the incompetent NZRU in 4 years…is union in danger of becoming like Aussie, where league is branded for peasants and union for the rich? Watching Breakdown felt like propaganda even when Foster and Old Boys Club were killing the ABs legacy, and you get shocking Spark coverage then Silver Lake deals for the good of “grass root”….apparently they are cutting NPC teams now?

Rant over

Edit: how bad is this

Just feels like a lot of grifting going on since that 2019 Spark world cup rights debacle and the ones running it will jump ship when they run it into the ground. Not an expert or following it lately but never had to worry about the state of the sport growing up

Last edited:
The All Blacks play in a few weeks. Their attendance will be interesting. It might be case people are more All Blacks fans instead of union fans. More that they watch the top end of the product but don't consume everything.

They also have a new coach who the public were wanting to coach the team for a while. So expectations and interest might be higher than they would have been if they were still under the previous coaching regime.

The All Blacks brand is what pulls in a big chuck of their money.

Reactions: CWC
The All Blacks play in a few weeks. Their attendance will be interesting. It might be case people are more All Blacks fans instead of union fans. More that they watch the top end of the product but don't consume everything.

They also have a new coach who the public were wanting to coach the team for a while. So expectations and interest might be higher than they would have been if they were still under the previous coaching regime.

The All Blacks brand is what pulls in a big chuck of their money.
It also uses up most of the NZRFU's money too (they are going to post another massive loss this year again, too).

Super Rugby is dying and the NPC is dead. The all blacks will go the same way when they are consistently beaten by other countries who've set their game up differently since profesionalism.

Some issues I see with union compared to league:

- league focus’s on stars and the cap allows an even spread of talent. In league each team has 2-3 genuine stars. Great for the home fans and a point of interest about the opposition team every week. Union was boring with the best pooling to the Crusaders.
- league has enough teams that the average fan is familiar with the opposition, know a few stars and have some unknown players to learn about. Super rugby, with the Australian and South African teams lost the familiarity factor to fans leading to less engagement as the media focus, etc was NZ based.
- league has a turnover of players regularly coming every year. Eg RTS, this year, JFH next year. This provides interest and renewed hope every season. Union players are more loyal and stick to a franchise - boring.
- the commentators in league promote all teams ‘relatively’ evenly (except the Warriors!) as the viewers could be supporting either team. Union commentators are much more biased which polarises fans.
- league is run for the good of the game over the team; union focuses on the All blacks and what’s good for the sport comes second.
- league is forward thinking and is run in the best interest of fans. Union is more focused on tradition and doesn’t like changes.

Was just listening to Mike Hoskings with Andrew Saville etc and he said he asked Blues and Chiefs reps to talk on the show last week, both refused, only the Hurricianes reps came on, whereas if they want to talk to George or Webby or any Wahs player they could get it done in 20 minutes, and that cockiness is hurting the game (rugby)

It’s mostly just the laws and officiating that’s ruined the game. The hurricanes chiefs game had some ripping tries and both teams were being positive… but they also had 3 different tries called back for “foul” play which was marginal, you can’t even celebrate a try anymore without being sure the ref will be told to go back and change it, from 2 rucks ago.

If a team starts exploiting a rule in NRL (leg lifts a recent example) they just blanket change the rule, they don’t care if it’s a different rule book to the UK or the amateur game they know it’s a tv product and slowing down the ruck is bad for tv so that’s that.

Union can’t do that, all nations have to agree and many of them are happy milking penalties and time wasting because it helps their chances of winning. Having a greasy charlatan like vlandys change things on a whim would horrify those old blazers.

The nationalism element of the all blacks, they’ll still be well supported regardless especially now fraud foster is gone. The next level down is kind of stuffed but so is every other country outside of France.

If every nrl game was subject to the sort of ref manipulation we saw on the weekend they’d be calling crisis pretty quick

Back