Warriors

Kickoff In:

Go Media Stadium

Saturday
Afternoon
17:00

Sea Eagles

Team Lists

So latest episode Matt Jones’ player of the week is Wade and Cooper’s team of the week is us 😂🥰

The other podcast with 3-4 blokes now saying we are in a premiership window. I am rather surprised how quickly they realize what we are building this year, usually we get 20 second mentions at the end of the shows. Benefit of putting the nail in the pre-ordered coffin of the Souths coach when everyone is watching I guess lol
What's Tab paying?
The true guru

So latest episode Matt Jones’ player of the week is Wade and Cooper’s team of the week is us 😂🥰

The other podcast with 3-4 blokes now saying we are in a premiership window. I am rather surprised how quickly they realize what we are building this year, usually we get 20 second mentions at the end of the shows. Benefit of putting the nail in the pre-ordered coffin of the Souths coach when everyone is watching I guess lol

They're quick to jump on and quick to jump off.

However, it's not often a Top 4 teams makes such a big improvement the next year.

I'm glad that our efforts against Melbourne in the second half are recognised. We got beat by some magic, not a late Warriors crumble at all (despite how it might have felt).

I also think plenty will have been watching us closely this year wondering if we will drop off, are they the real deal? or was 2023 another 2018? Even when we lost the first two games most of the talk was "Gee wait until they get it right".

They're quick to jump on and quick to jump off.

However, it's not often a Top 4 teams makes such a big improvement the next year.

I'm glad that our efforts against Melbourne in the second half are recognised. We got beat by some magic, not a late Warriors crumble at all (despite how it might have felt).

I also think plenty will have been watching us closely this year wondering if we will drop off, are they the real deal? or was 2023 another 2018? Even when we lost the first two games most of the talk was "Gee wait until they get it right".

Also wonder how Cowboys and Sharks did for the first 5 rounds in 2023 after they finished 2nd and 3rd the year before? I think Cows were 2-6? They were quite desperate when we played them the second time

Looking through other clubs injury lists a number will be in the same situation.
Apparently 20 injured from round 5 alone 😔
I've asked a question regarding this in the past but I think I've answered it from reading comments. I understand the increase in injuries is the fact 1: the players are a lot more athletic these days, 2: the game has sped up.
Surely the NRL could mitigate no. 2 by going back to old rules (not sure how well that would be received as I was only a casual fan of the game till a few years ago).

Sorry for the off topic hoping someone can point me in the right direction towards the correct thread or someone else could make 1 😁

I've asked a question regarding this in the past but I think I've answered it from reading comments. I understand the increase in injuries is the fact 1: the players are a lot more athletic these days, 2: the game has sped up.
Surely the NRL could mitigate no. 2 by going back to old rules (not sure how well that would be received as I was only a casual fan of the game till a few years ago).

Sorry for the off topic hoping someone can point me in the right direction towards the correct thread or someone else could make 1 😁
Good topic.
Limiting the number of interchange would help to slow the game down but thats not in the NRLs plans.
Players are bigger faster stronger now than even 20 years ago.

Worried2Death Worried2Death

Here is Wrigthy's Head to Head analysis for this week

1) Fullback - Tie - I think Turbo has just woken up in the last game but Charnze looked hot to trot also. I think both fullbacks will be on fire on this game.
2) Wings - Warriors as Saab is still out
3) Centres - I will say Warriors but only just as I think RTS is yet to find his home at centre and is still learning his craft there.
4) Halves - I will be controversial here and say Advantage Manly. Think that Johnson and DCE are a tie but I think Luke Brooks has been a level above TMM early doors this season and I also saw TMM miss a few defensive assignments against Rabbits as he wasn't adjusted to the speed of the NRL after being in reserve grade.
5) Starting props - Warriors although Paseka is travelling well. I think Aloiai is a patchy player capable of low and high points in a game.
6) Hooker - Warriors
7) I am going to give the second row to Manly - Olakau'atu is just a beast in every sense of the word and will be the most dominant second rower on the field despite Capewah and ford being very good.
8) Lock - I am going to call a tie. I do agree that Tohu shades Jake but Jake can have very good days and is a regular SOO player.

OK the one you requested Worried2death
The bench: I think Karl Lawton is completely inconsistent and tries to get his name in the newspaper on every play. Sometimes this works. Sometimes it doesn't. He is lucky to be in the NRL in my opinion. Bullemor is a fantastic bench option and punches above his weight. Has a habit of scoring tries against a tiring defence. Sipley is huge and Brown will be tough.
Who will Laban sub in for? Will the good Jazz hands or bad Jazz hands show up (see what I did there?) Will Ale pick up from his best game of the last two seasons, last week, or will regress back to mediocre, and CHT we are only expecting to see for 10 minutes. So the Manly bench are more consistent and bigger - Due to them having Sipley in particular I call advantage Manly 1.5 points.

Summary
Warriors - 4 Advantage points
Manly - 3.5 Advantage points

This game could get hairy for the Warriors in the middle of the game when the benches come on. If Warriors win we are looking at 6 points or less. Will be a tight game.

1) Fullback - Tie - I think Turbo has just woken up in the last game but Charnze looked hot to trot also. I think both fullbacks will be on fire on this game.
3) Centres - I will say Warriors but only just as I think RTS is yet to find his home at centre and is still learning his craft there.
4) Halves - I will be controversial here and say Advantage Manly. Think that Johnson and DCE are a tie but I think Luke Brooks has been a level above TMM early doors this season and I also saw TMM miss a few defensive assignments against Rabbits as he wasn't adjusted to the speed of the NRL after being in reserve grade.
5) Starting props - Warriors although Paseka is travelling well. I think Aloiai is a patchy player capable of low and high points in a game.
6) Hooker - Warriors
7) I am going to give the second row to Manly - Olakau'atu is just a beast in every sense of the word and will be the most dominant second rower on the field despite Capewah and ford being very good.
8) Lock - I am going to call a tie. I do agree that Tohu shades Jake but Jake can have very good days and is a regular SOO player.

The bench: I think Karl Lawton is completely inconsistent and tries to get his name in the newspaper on every play. Sometimes this works. Sometimes it doesn't. He is lucky to be in the NRL in my opinion. Bullemor is a fantastic bench option and punches above his weight. Has a habit of scoring tries against a tiring defence. Sipley is huge and Brown will be tough.
Who will Laban sub in for? Will the good Jazz hands or bad Jazz hands show up (see what I did there?) Will Ale pick up from his best game of the last two seasons, last week, or will regress back to mediocre, and CHT we are only expecting to see for 10 minutes. So the Manly bench are more consistent and bigger - Due to them having Sipley in particular I call advantage Manly 1.5 points.

Summary

This game could get hairy for the Warriors in the middle of the game when the benches come on. If Warriors win we are looking at 6 points or less. Will be a tight game.
Mostly agree mate but I think Tohu has it all over Jake Turbo atm.

Is there any info out there about what is going on with Walker?

They have finally updated him from TBC to being 3-5 weeks away, but I can't find out what has specifically happened to em

Is there any info out there about what is going on with Walker?

They have finally updated him from TBC to being 3-5 weeks away, but I can't find out what has specifically happened to em
Recurrence of an old ankle injury

"Walker has been troubled by an ankle injury which flared up in the second-round match against Melbourne." - from last week's injury update

6) Hooker - Warriors

Summary

I think you're pretty on the money with this, except Tohu is playing a level above Jake atm. The on paper thing is interesting, in that we are evenly matched - however I think the difference is in the 'secondary' players - Manly are colloquially one injury away from being a bottom four team, and I think that remains true when you look at how say Talau and Montoya aim up - our guys have a higher floor than them. And let's say something unfortunate happens to one of their starting props during the week - they then have to live with Woods coming into the gameday squad... the ol' depth issue, sure, but it's there in the run-on already.

Man for man we look pretty evenly matched, they don't have an AFB or Egan though.
No idea what's going to happen, home crowd gets us home I hope.
Dunno man, I watched the Manly Penrith game and a young fella named Tof Sipley was tearing them up 😁

They've got a pretty good rotation going with Paseka Aloiai Brown & Tof. I know one thing, we need good Jazz this week ffs!

Injuries even out this game imo. Manly are without Saab and Garrick, forcing them to use a makeshift second rower (burbo) as a centre. They lose a lot of speed with those two out which really troubled us last year. Moreover I believe burbo is marking RTS. If so, RTS could have a field day. I'm sure Webby is working with TMM, RTS and Montoya to exploit that. Collectively, I rate our back 5 above theirs: with DWZ back, they will again be pivotal for us winning the field position battle in this game.

As others have mentioned, injuries have forced us into a smaller but more mobile bench. Although I rate our starting props above theirs, the injection of Brown and Sipley from the bench needs to be controlled. Our starting props will have to play bigger minutes in this game, which they are more than capable of doing. At this stage, we can't be putting Laban in a situation where he is playing big minutes. Ale and Jazz really need to step up a gear. But I'm sure webby is all over this.

It's really anyone game. But I think we'll edge this at home. I'd argue that our formline is better: we are hitting our groove and are improving every week. Manly on the other hand are still a little hit and miss. They'll come back to earth from their emotional high last week.

Last edited:
Yes, they beat the panthers, but they also lost to the dogwater dragons, ergo, inconsistent team, both teams had big emotional wins, but only one did it on the road and gets to come home to a sell out.

i think one thing that will trouble us is teams with dangerous and physical back 5s, sharks, panthers, broncos, roosters - while we are always trying to pin teams, sometimes you kick to really good players, they'll break the tackle, someone else will break the next one and then the 'game model' is shook.

Last week with latrell opting out of work, wighton was the only one carrying hard, could eat up the other guys.

long way of saying the manly back 5 aren't those kind of players and we'll be able to bash them down their own end, turbo just saves himself for attack he won't want to slog it out, big units in the forwards won't want to run all the way back to their 20m either.

What do the TAB know that we don't - I'm still getting over the $2.55 Manly H2H odds.

DCE is such a wily / crafty player...
just look at the upsets so far this season. Their strike rate is about as good as anyone on here.

Back