Height (cm)
188 cm
Weight (kg)
100 kg
Position/s
  1. Second Row
Signed From
Randwick Kingfishers
I'd love for him to become a club great, not ready to say he's the next Mannering or reincarnation of Steven Kearney yet but his debut was as impressive as Ali's, both the best Warriors juniors I've seen debut since Katoa.

Not only that, his presence, demeanour - in terms of the type of respectful leaders we have at the club, I see a young Tohu - he has that gentle giant nature about him, until he hits it up; or hits you! :LOL:

Halasima struggles in NSW cup to make an impact, he is a fan love child due to age and size for his age, otherwise he is barely at par for the NSW cup.

Zyon Maiu’u gets love because of his leg tats. the Bear...or Pe....ah...phonetically spelt Pe'a....

Neither of those guys have anywhere near the workrate nor fitness of Jacob laban who is a tackle busting big engine no flashy type stepper and game breaker.
Laban is a monster.

The difference between Zyon Maiu’u, Halasima, and Laban is the former are rated based off fans looking at their weight on the scales, their height, and their age.

I rate Laban from the beginning off watching his game play.
The fact he is big and young to me is just a bonus, I believe in watching games to pick out who can actually play this sport rather than going silly about a player that is has a much bigger body than his age, or a player that looks mean and has not much else going for them.
Genuinely one of the worst takes I’ve seen on this forum.

We have a full season sample size of Halasima outplaying Laban at NSW cup level every single week.

While being 1.5 years younger.

Laban is deservedly getting a lot of love right now because he just debuted, but Halasima is still a superior prospect than Laban in almost every way.

For sure, no arguments on potential vs a bloke who has earned his spot on attitude and results. Surely no one is actually arguing that Leka is a better player? I think we are all hoping he becomes a type of player we haven't had for many moons though. Hopefully he has the work ethic that Laban has shown to take the next step.
What results?

Laban isn’t doing nything at NSW cup level that Halasima hasn’t already done.

It’s all based on potential at the end of the day. Which Laban has plenty of. But let’s not pretend like one has arrived and the other hasn’t

What results?

It’s all based on potential at the end of the day. Which Laban has plenty of. But let’s not pretend like one has arrived and the other hasn’t
Not trying to call you out at all bro, as I know you 1 of the few that knows their shit from the lower levels to NRL so more a genuine question from someone that hasn't watched much of the lower grades this season.
How are the other players playing and who in your view should we be looking out for in the near future (NRL debut within the next season or 2 but any other notes welcome).
Thanks in advance

I guess we have to keep watching and arguing the points until one of us is proven right.

I stand by my statement. A lot I keep reading about these guys is to do with an assumption that because they are big for their age, that they will continue to to be dominant in the game as they grow.

Have you all stopped to consider that Halasima might have stopped growing?

He looks small in the NSW cup compared to truly big players (of course he does he is just a kid) and therefore your projections really are banking on a future player, not the one I am watching, and he gets dominated in gang tackles while you all have been Ohh ing and Ahh ing.

Laban bends the line, he takes back to back hit ups like CNK, goes looking for the ball, breaks the line, he is faster, has a better step, and his appetite for work is better than any forward in our reserves. He also has great hand eye coordination.

That is what I see and you call the worst take. Ok how about you talk specifics like I am to justify what I see when you the Mt Wellington etc make these shoot downs?
At least my irreverent pot stir of the thread got some discussion going, and it is not a troll, just bit of colorful stirring to get some argument happening.

Lets just see who is right in the coming years eh. I back my horse. Picked him out early, while everyone else was banging on about everyone but Laban.

I am prepared to stick my neck on the line and say he is the one....while others talk about this exciting crop (they are exciting they are all good players) I believe I can see Laban excelling past them all.

At least I am prepared to make the call. Getting hammered for it because a few get precious about this topic like they think they are experts, shit I ain't an expert, I am just saying what I see with my eyes.
Bends the line and back to back hit ups? He averaged 74m per game last year in NSW cup compared to Halasima's 103m per game.

Breaks the line? He had less line breaks per game than Halasima in NSW cup last year and less tries per game.

Faster? absolutely no chance (borderline delusional statement)

Did I forget to mention he's 1 and a half years younger....

Bro you have no clue what you're talking and no doubt watched fuck all cup last year to base your opinion on.

Lol better step?
View: https://www.tiktok.com/@nzwarriors/video/7212827938117504257

Last edited:
Bends the line and back to back hit ups? He averaged 74m per game last year in NSW cup compared to Halasima's 103m per game.

Breaks the line? He had less line breaks per game than Halasima in NSW cup last year and less tries per game.

Faster? absolutely no chance (borderline delusional statement)

Did I forget to mention he's 1 and a half years younger....

Bro you have no clue what you're talking and no doubt watched fuck all cup last year to base your opinion on.

Lol better step?
View: https://www.tiktok.com/@nzwarriors/video/7212827938117504257

With Laban being taller and listed as 10kgs heavier than Halasima at 110kgs, they'll probably look to turn him into a prop before too long.

View: https://www.youtube.com/live/ryauxIChUn4?si=0hGpDizUJn6huUYx

I'm sorry sup42 I can't agree with your assessment of our up and coming players. I thought Laban looked a bit sluggish in cup last season, it's fairly obvious to me that he has made big improvements through this preseason and now looks a genuine NRL prospect. Your comments around size is a bit off to me, Halasima isn't a guy who relies on size, he's a genuine athlete who's power to weight ratio is through the roof. His main problem is staying on the field.

The game above features Laban, Sifakula, Halasima, Leiataua and Zyon Maiu’u and is worth a watch if you want to have a look. In no way is Halasima getting dominated in gang tackles as you say he does (flick to the 40 minute mark).

I might have missed last year by comparison (I did not see every game, just the televised games) are your eyes open this year?

Jacob is being mentioned as the hardest trainer. Got minutes in both trials made good impact, was busy and working hard.

I would like to see where you got your stats from. This year Jacobs averaged 126m off the bench at 95% tackle efficiency.

If your next big thing gets called out as a top trainer I will certainly sit up and take notice of that.

Calm down btw, delusional?

Funny how some are getting so prissy over an opinion that is running counter to theirs.
Got it. So your assessment is based on who “trained down the house”

There is an 18 game sample size that both players played in at the closest level to NRL that shows Halasima as the better prospect and player. It’s on NSW website.

Thanks for the reference.

I watched all the televised games (you could have read that the first time).

BTW, who trained the house down is everything in projecting who will make it.

Adam Pompey an average center held out a NSW cup rising Star center purely off his training ethic.

Laban is talented man. I won't change my mind till these other boys surpass Jacob, but today, he is the one (I always hope that other players, like the ones you have been promoting these past couple of years do better).

Bottom line bro, and this is the only thing that matters, Jacob is the one being picked for the NRL.

That's Websters opinion mate.
The fact that you say you watched all the televised games makes your assessment of these guys even more confusing to me, obviously we're seeing different things.

That's Websters opinion mate.
Interesting that sometimes even the best coaches can get their selections wrong when introducing players from NSW Cup to the NRL.

Back in Round 2 of the 2011 season, Cleary debuted Issac John over someone called Shaun Johnson.

That said, while I think Halasima has the greater potential in the future, of the two I do think Laban is physically more ready for the FG at the moment. Halasima's time will come.

Good memory Mike.
Isaac John had the kicking game that Shaun did not. Otherwise SJ was held back deliberately eh.
Hopefully there are some stars being held back by Webster intentionally too.

The Rooster wrecked a teen half recently by just chucking the little kid in there. Disgraceful.
Reason why I remember it was that Ambo nearly destroyed the internet in his rage that John was selected first.

What results?

Results in preseason as documented by other players and management, whilst Halasima and Sifukula are laid up with injury. One has arrived and one hasn't. Laban is now playing FG, Halasima is not.

Look, I was trying to subtlety give Halasima a shout out after he was, in my opinion, undervalued by a previous post, and hasn't yet had the same opportunities as Laban. That was my sole reason for posting on this thread. I'm really not interested in entering a young player vs young player debate as there are so many variables that go into whether a player will break out at FG level.

Halasima is the player I am the most excited about, and have been for some time. There are however, some great prospects that through skill, luck and attitude can go on to do great things for our footy side. Who knows what the future will bring. Sometimes that extra class and talent can hold players back; when life is easy, some won't dig as hard to better their situation, which is something we have seen time and time again in the NRL.

Last edited:
The fact that you say you watched all the televised games makes your assessment of these guys even more confusing to me, obviously we're seeing different things.
I agree somewhat with Sup in regards to Laban. Maybe our expectations of our young brigade are different.
Some are looking for the next SBW. Theres some potential in the forum favourites in Halasima & Sifakula. I see a bit of a young Tohu Harris in Laban.

My post last year got a few laugh emojis mentioning Laban as someone i rate Highly. Not sure why? Lol. The kid impressed me. My eye test saw this kid everywhere making his own tackles. Covering tackles others had missed. Stopping opposition forwards dead in their tracks. Running over opposition forwards. Just a real mature player for his age. Tons of effort.

And i backed up that praise this year when everyone was talking about all these other kids bar Laban. Was hella confused. There was one or 2 of us at the start. Now he has a solid fanbase. Deservedly so.

I guess making NZ A & debuting for our club this year I'm not the only one who sees his potential.

I also rate Halasima, Sifakula, Eddie Ieremia-Toeava, Sio Kali as much as i do Laban.

I'm not sold on Zyon Maiu’u. I haven't put him in favs young buck pack yet. I need a little more convincing lol.

I agree somewhat with Sup in regards to Laban. Maybe our expectations of our young brigade are different.
Some are looking for the next SBW. Theres some potential in the forum favourites in Halasima & Sifakula. I see a bit of a young Tohu Harris in Laban.

My post last year got a few laugh emojis mentioning Laban as someone i rate Highly. Not sure why? Lol. The kid impressed me. My eye test saw this kid everywhere making his own tackles. Covering tackles others had missed. Stopping opposition forwards dead in their tracks. Running over opposition forwards. Just a real mature player for his age. Tons of effort.

And i backed up that praise this year when everyone was talking about all these other kids bar Laban. Was hella confused. There was one or 2 of us at the start. Now he has a solid fanbase. Deservedly so.

I guess making NZ A & debuting for our club this year I'm not the only one who sees his potential.

I also rate Halasima, Sifakula, Eddie Ieremia-Toeava, Sio Kali as much as i do Laban.

I'm not sold on Zyon Maiu’u. I haven't put him in favs young buck pack yet. I need a little more convincing lol.
"I agree somewhat with Sup in regards to Laban. Maybe our expectations of our young brigade are different."

that's me with expectations on Ali Leiataua 😂

Funny I thought this thread was about Jacob Laban. Looks more like a thread about people stroking their own ego's as to who can spot the best talent in the NSW Cup. mt.wellington mt.wellington any chance to clean some of the shit out of this thread?
And then this happens 👇👇 smh.... 😅
To add to this debate interestingly Monty just said Halasima is "arguably the most talented" out of the previously discussed Juniors.

View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NXEWptXT2LI&ab_channel=OneNZWarriors

Back