Pick Your Team Roosters v Warriors - Round 10, 2024 PICK YOUR TEAM

Anybody tuning in for this one?
Of course
IMG_8278.jpeg

Considering our player stocks I am praying that Taine to 6 happens, and is a revelation. We need some good luck.
Wow we are actually talking about putting our number two fullback at standoff becoming our number four standoff. Now I'm not against it but wow.

And because my fullback to 6 comments were obviously mis-timed re RTS on old forum. Wow we are here.

Considering our player stocks I am praying that Taine to 6 happens, and is a revelation. We need some good luck.
Tbf TMM looked great in NSW cup that one week and has been horrendous in first grade since. It’s a different level all together.

We’ve never seen any signs of ball playing from Taine in first grade when he’s played fullback so who knows if it’s legit.

Who makes the call to go left, TMM, Egan or SJ? Even if TMM makes a call, does he get over called?

As was mentioned above, his last game in reggies, he was excellent and ran the show.

I think he's capable of better
As much as TMM is copping plenty on here, and SJ having his critics too, I think Egan hasn’t been as effective since the early rounds too. With Lussick available again, I think he needs to be on the bench in case Egan is playing within himself to last the full 80 minutes

Geez there’s some bizarre teams in this lot. I understand the frustrations, I too am gutted with the drop off, but dropping an individual will not fix our defence or attack.

The reality too that we’re facing is, who comes in? We actually don’t have that much depth. People calling for Kosi over Montoya? 2 weeks ago, people were saying Kosi will never see first grade again. On Ali, people are acting like he’s gods gift but I’ve seen a number of defensive deficiencies in his game at cup level, and you want to throw him against one of the best centres in the nrl?

The squad we have been playing is the best we have, and I think chopping and changing personal will actually be more detrimental to the group. Through all the injuries we’ve sustained, we’ve been unable to build consistency and continuity in the attack/defence, and there’s a real lack of trust in the group. Throwing another rookie against the two best teams in the comp is a disaster waiting to happen, to both the team & the individual. We’ve got to persist because the team we are rolling out were showing they were up there with the best in the comp, and I trust that they’ll get back there.

One thing I agree on is our bench selections have been horrendous. You can’t predict for the injuries we’ve had, but you can plan for them. Zyon Maiu’u or laben would’ve been extremely helpful on the weekend, and to double down on that, Pompey got 0 minutes. I love webby, and I think he’s a brilliant coach, but these late switches to put an outside back on the bench, and swapping ford and Capewell has been just stupid. This is webbys first litmus test, I’m curious how he responds.

Apparently the group have set up camp in Australia for the week. This gives us 2 extra training days & connection within the group. These are badly needed, and I’m hopeful we will put out a performance we as the fans can be proud of this weekend. Tbh I don’t care if we lose, I care that we’re executing our game plan, we’re putting in effort & we defend our asses off with intent.

The blueprint to success is still there within the group, but we need to find it again, and fast. I’m hopeful, and trust this group/management that they’ll find it.

Geez there’s some bizarre teams in this lot. I understand the frustrations, I too am gutted with the drop off, but dropping an individual will not fix our defence or attack.

The reality too that we’re facing is, who comes in? We actually don’t have that much depth. People calling for Kosi over Montoya? 2 weeks ago, people were saying Kosi will never see first grade again. On Ali, people are acting like he’s gods gift but I’ve seen a number of defensive deficiencies in his game at cup level, and you want to throw him against one of the best centres in the nrl?

The squad we have been playing is the best we have, and I think chopping and changing personal will actually be more detrimental to the group. Through all the injuries we’ve sustained, we’ve been unable to build consistency and continuity in the attack/defence, and there’s a real lack of trust in the group. Throwing another rookie against the two best teams in the comp is a disaster waiting to happen, to both the team & the individual. We’ve got to persist because the team we are rolling out were showing they were up there with the best in the comp, and I trust that they’ll get back there.

One thing I agree on is our bench selections have been horrendous. You can’t predict for the injuries we’ve had, but you can plan for them. Zyon Maiu’u or laben would’ve been extremely helpful on the weekend, and to double down on that, Pompey got 0 minutes. I love webby, and I think he’s a brilliant coach, but these late switches to put an outside back on the bench, and swapping ford and Capewell has been just stupid. This is webbys first litmus test, I’m curious how he responds.

Apparently the group have set up camp in Australia for the week. This gives us 2 extra training days & connection within the group. These are badly needed, and I’m hopeful we will put out a performance we as the fans can be proud of this weekend. Tbh I don’t care if we lose, I care that we’re executing our game plan, we’re putting in effort & we defend our asses off with intent.

The blueprint to success is still there within the group, but we need to find it again, and fast. I’m hopeful, and trust this group/management that they’ll find it.
I m impressed that they are staying in Aus the whole week. I feel this is a really good thing to do.

We need to try something different, can’t win if you can’t score points!!!

Would love CHT back, pitty that’s been pushed back.

Honestly though, aside from the Capwell injury I expect the same 17 as last week - yay bench Pompey!!! Webby has given them enough chances, his extreme loyalty to players is commendable and gives them confidence but there comes a time when change is needed.

Who makes the call to go left, TMM, Egan or SJ? Even if TMM makes a call, does he get over called?

As was mentioned above, his last game in reggies, he was excellent and ran the show.

I think he's capable of better
You're 100% right, Rick.

The problem with the team is they're too one-dimensional with playing to the right. Everyone is criticizing TMM but he's never given quality ball to work with. They legitmately have the most imbalanced attack in the comp and they need to address it, pronto. They signed RTS only for him to sit on the other side of the field to where they run all the traffic down - make it make sense.

You're 100% right, Rick.

The problem with the team is they're too one-dimensional with playing to the right. Everyone is criticizing TMM but he's never given quality ball to work with. They legitmately have the most imbalanced attack in the comp and they need to address it, pronto. They signed RTS only for him to sit on the other side of the field to where they run all the traffic down - make it make sense.
It’s this high level stuff is all on Webby.

So Pompey played every game last year starting at centre, but with Roger's return this year, he's been in limbo.

Pompey started two games at centre this year: Round 4, 20-12 win v Knights with RTS at fullback, and Round 5, 34-4 win v Rabbitohs when Roger played wing in place of DWZ. (*Also named on the bench twice, but not worth mentioning...)

That's a small sample size for this year, but he has to be the most experienced player that could be brought in, and I think RTS would do more for the team in either of those positions he played above his current centre experiment.

Anyway I'd be shocked if the team sees any major changes not including injury cover. Seems like we're being pretty stubborn with "the process"es this year... 😰

Pompey got 0 minutes.
I suspect bringing Pompey (and some of our other weird bench selections) onto the bench is more to do with keeping players happy through opportunity (even though he didn’t end up getting on) and doing what’s best for them rather than what’s best for the team.

Keeping players motivated and engaged has its merits but you need results first and foremost.

Also some of the weird 18th man sections is probably more a rotation basis as it’s better to have game time in NSW cup than sit out the weekend not playing as 18th man.

I suspect bringing Pompey (and some of our other weird bench selections) onto the bench is more to do with keeping players happy through opportunity (even though he didn’t end up getting on) and doing what’s best for them rather than what’s best for the team.

Keeping players motivated and engaged has its merits but you need results first and foremost.

Also some of the weird 18th man sections is probably more a rotation basis as it’s better to have game time in NSW cup than sit out the weekend not playing as 18th man.
Pompey was only there in case of injury to an outside back, our middles do big minutes (rightly or wrongly) so the 4th substitute wasn't necessarily seen as being needed (rightly or wrongly).

Reactions: CWC
We need to try something different, can’t win if you can’t score points!!!

Would love CHT back, pitty that’s been pushed back.

Honestly though, aside from the Capwell injury I expect the same 17 as last week - yay bench Pompey!!! Webby has given them enough chances, his extreme loyalty to players is commendable and gives them confidence but there comes a time when change is needed.
If we admit that we are too predictable, we need to change that to being unpredictable. I remember back in the old days of the Kiwis playing the Kangaroos, that they regularly beat us by they using a structured approach. The infrequent times, we beat them was by putting them "off their stride " by use of different tactics. This reduced the effectiveness of their plan A and showed up their absence of a plan B. Could we try the unstructured approach against the Roosters (little chips and grubbers, changes of direction, double arounds, passes across the ruck etc). We need to try something different that will upset their well-practised plans. I am certain we will not beat them playing the way we are so let's play a more enterprising and entertaining style of rugby league. We have nothing to lose and all to gain.

So how many more games do we keep on losing till the individual/Individual's - fix their defensive/attacking issues? We're 10 games into the season. Another 10 more games? We have a reserve grade fpr this reason. Injury replacement & form replacement. No one should be safe from getting a wake up call.

I’ve got an idea:

So our 13 is too slow for ball playing lock, he’s good in the short middle passes but when we try go wide, tohu is off the pace. We’re also lacking punch out on the edge with our lead runners not sucking in defenders as they’re not strong enough carriers to be feared. This is where Walker & Barnett come in.

AFB
Egan
Tohu
Ford
Barnett
Walker

Zyon Maiu’u
Laben
Ale
Capewell

Capes spend time in the middle tidying up shit, keeping his game simple & can cover edge if need and move Barnett to middle

Barnett can be that damaging back rower, who offers intimidating line running, and work rate, like a Liam Martin style and can protect SJ. Tohu does what Tohu does best, tough stuff in the middle, plenty of tackles and yardage. And Walker plays that Connor Watson role, energiser, high work rate, tackles anything & a link role (like his former #6 days).

Our bench is a four forward bench (suits our game plan of up the middle), with 2 middles, 2 edges, with both edges capable of spending time in the middle. It offers versatility, minutes in the middle & takes us back to what we’re good at, beating up teams through the middle with our gun forward pack.

I think it’s genius.

So how many more games do we keep on losing till the individual/Individual's - fix their defensive/attacking issues? We're 10 games into the season. Another 10 more games? We have a reserve grade fpr this reason. Injury replacement & form replacement. No one should be safe from getting a wake up call.
Who would you replace, and for whom?

Back