Politics NZ Politics

Who will get your vote in this years election?

• National

Votes: 17 26.2%
  • Labour

Votes: 13 20.0%
  • Act

Votes: 7 10.8%
  • Greens

Votes: 9 13.8%
  • NZ First

Votes: 5 7.7%
  • Māori Party

Votes: 3 4.6%
  • Other

Votes: 11 16.9%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
One of the arguments I can’t stand that is repeatedly spouted out by some other landlords is that the government should be supporting private landlords because it doesn’t cost the government any money for people to rent from private landlords.

It’s a load of crap!!!! Around 39% of all those renting houses from private landlords and charities receive the accommodation allowance to help pay for their rent.

And, if you don’t have enough income to cover your mortgage, you can also apply for the accommodation supplement to help cover your mortgage repayments for the family house as over 36,000 mortgage holders have done.

Is that like Labour removing all the govt departments targets as soon as they came in and then wait lists blew out, education outcomes dropped, crime ballooned, emergency housing surged, etc?

Luxon announced today nine new targets: which included shorter stays in emergency departments, shorter wait times for (elective) treatment, reduced child and youth offending, reduced violent crime, fewer people on the Jobseeker Support Benefit, increased student attendance, more students at expected curriculum levels, fewer people in emergency housing and reduced net greenhouse gas emissions.

Key areas that have deteriorated under Labour which as you say, removed the targets to remove the problem.

Accountability. I like it. The failure to meet even minimum expectations in health and education systems has been diabolical.
But they're removing the data gathering so we can't measure their outcomes, it's the same trick as Labour's in reverse.

The government hasn’t removed it. Stats NZ don’t have the budget to do it. Questions should be asked over why the cost to do the census last year more than doubled the cost of the 2018 Census but the population only increased by 11%.
Was there an added cost in moving the system online for 2023

The government hasn’t removed it. Stats NZ don’t have the budget to do it. Questions should be asked over why the cost to do the census last year more than doubled the cost of the 2018 Census but the population only increased by 11%.
They're a pretty good nine targets, but it sounds like they going to measure them with the Warriors tape measure, which must be an elastic one.

I'm not saying it's an elite right wing conspiracy to launch the Nine New Targets just as Stats NZ is undergoing budget constraints and downsizing to be more "efficient" after 6 years of financial incompetence and unmet targets, it's merely a coincidence.

Last edited:
Was there an added cost in moving the system online for 2023
Think of it this way. If we had left it in paper form, the $180,000,000 spent in addition to the 2018 Census could have instead provided a $1,500 increase in social welfare payments to each child living in poverty. Personally, I’d rather we all filled out forms and helped lift kids out of poverty than had a new metric to measure the poverty.

Think of it this way. If we had left it in paper form, the $180,000,000 spent in addition to the 2018 Census could have instead provided a $1,500 increase in social welfare payments to each child living in poverty. Personally, I’d rather we all filled out forms and helped lift kids out of poverty than had a new metric to measure the poverty.
Yes if that is the reason it's a huge cost to justify, but I suppose you can't stop progress., we can't stay on paper forever when everyone else has gone digital.

What are peoples thoughts on MP’s getting a wage increase. Is it right that the PM and Ministers salaries should be based on the performance (or lack of) by the previous Government.

Let’s say that National and it’s partners win the next election but, in six years time, the majority of New Zealander’s are sick of austerity measures, so they vote for change because it’s felt NZ needs to move more on progressive issues. If the government books, in the mean time have returned into black, spending under control, inflation and unemployment down, greater tax take and better GDP to government debt figures, is it right that the new PM and Ministers get a large salary increase on what the previous government did.?

Is it right that, because the actions of a previous government or worldwide events have damaged the NZ economy, that the new PM and Ministers shouldn’t get a salary increase because of circumstances outside of their control?

TBH, I don’t think the Remuneration Authority should be adjusting the salaries so close to an election but should be instead doing it 18 months after one when the direction and success of the new government, and not the old one, sets the perimeters for the salary consideration.

What are peoples thoughts on MP’s getting a wage increase. Is it right that the PM and Ministers salaries should be based on the performance (or lack of) by the previous Government.

Let’s say that National and it’s partners win the next election but, in six years time, the majority of New Zealander’s are sick of austerity measures, so they vote for change because it’s felt NZ needs to move more on progressive issues. If the government books, in the mean time have returned into black, spending under control, inflation and unemployment down, greater tax take and better GDP to government debt figures, is it right that the new PM and Ministers get a large salary increase on what the previous government did.?

Is it right that, because the actions of a previous government or worldwide events have damaged the NZ economy, that the new PM and Ministers shouldn’t get a salary increase because of circumstances outside of their control?

TBH, I don’t think the Remuneration Authority should be adjusting the salaries so close to an election but should be instead doing it 18 months after one when the direction and success of the new government, and not the old one, sets the perimeters for the salary consideration.
I don't see a problem with any increase but would like to see a reduction in MPs numbers
Fuck off all the list MPs for a start

Maybe set their salaries the same as the previous govt but with bonuses for achieving their stated election promises and targets as measured by Stats NZ. Oh wait a minute, we can't afford Stats NZ. Just take a wild guess, like the guy who measures the Warriors.

Last edited:
Yes if that is the reason it's a huge cost to justify, but I suppose you can't stop progress., we can't stay on paper forever when everyone else has gone digital.
Isn’t digital supposed to be cheaper???

Going to every house to deliver and collect must have cost 100x more than an online form…

Sorry I’m thinking rationally and logically… this is the govt we’re talking about.

It’s the same reason public servants will get low pay rises the next year or two - because of the economy and economic conditions.

Robertson’s getting more than the PM just for running a university it that gives some context though.

Isn’t digital supposed to be cheaper???

Going to every house to deliver and collect must have cost 100x more than an online form…

Sorry I’m thinking rationally and logically… this is the govt we’re talking about.
Somehow it defied logic and reason and cost more, this is a Grant Robertson census we're talking about.

Somehow it defied logic and reason and cost more, this is a Grant Robertson census we're talking about.
The 2018 census was a disaster and the chief statistician resigned over it.

The next man up probably insisted on squillions to make sure there was no repeat to keep his job safe…

My recollection was that the last two censuses were online - like my old body is my memory also fu.ked?

My recollection was that the last two censuses were online - like my old body is my memory also fu.ked?
I don't know either, you lose track of censuses at our age. In a future census they'll just plug us all into the AI, and leave us there. I don't know what that's going to cost, but everyone knows you can't stop progress. We'll both be holograms by then though.

The 2018 census was a disaster and the chief statistician resigned over it.

The next man up probably insisted on squillions to make sure there was no repeat to keep his job safe…

Grant's budgets were more like Bernie Taupin songs than budgets, I saw more fiscal responsibility in the movie Rocket Man.

Last edited:
Back