Rep Honours
  1. Queensland (SOO)
Status
Active
Wikipedia
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Kurt_Capewell
Rugby League Project
https://www.rugbyleagueproject.org/players/kurt-capewell/summary.html

NRL 2024: Kurt Capewell quits Brisbane Broncos, joins Warriors effective immediately​

Kurt Capewell insists he has no bad blood with the Broncos after quitting the club immediately to join the Warriors.
Capewell has been released from his 2024 contract with the Broncos to sign a three-year deal with the New Zealand franchise.

The swift switch was finalised on Thursday following a fortnight of negotiations after the Broncos indicated they were not in a position to offer Capewell an extension beyond next season.

Capewell, 30, joined the Broncos from Penrith following the Panthers’ 2021 NRL premiership, helping Brisbane rebound from the 2020 wooden spoon to this year’s grand final.

And the former Queensland Origin forward said he would depart Brisbane on good terms.

“Definitely not,” he said when asked if there was any bad blood.

“I love the club and have had a great time since I’ve been here.

“I still love everyone here as well. Luckily I’ve got the opportunity to go to the Warriors for the next three years.

“It was an opportunity too good to pass up. I’m just grateful for the time I’ve spent here and for the Warriors and the offer they’ve made me.”

Kurt Capewell has played his last game for the Broncos. Picture: Supplied

Kurt Capewell has played his last game for the Broncos. Picture: Supplied
Capewell joined the Broncos on the back of Brisbane’s 14th placed finish in 2021 along with skipper Adam Reynolds and the vice-captain has played a key role in the club’s resurrection.

He believes Brisbane has a bright future, but so do the Warriors following this year’s preliminary finals appearance under rookie coach Andrew Webster.

“I’m very proud (of the Broncos rise) and they’ve got a lot left in the tank too,” he said.

“They’re going to be a powerhouse for the next few years

“The Warriors are a powerhouse also with the team they’re putting together. I definitely think we’ll be giving the competition a shake next year.

“(Webster) is a massive reason (I’m going there). He’s a great bloke and I really get on with him, on a personal level as well.

“It’s tough to be leaving but exciting as well.”

Who is the biggest winner from Kurt Capewell's defection to the Warriors?​

Kurt Capewell
Brisbane Broncos
Warriors
Cast your vote

Capewell is the fourth Broncos player to depart the club since losing last season’s grand final, joining Dolphins duo Tom Flegler and Herbie Farnworth along with Titans recruit Keenan Palasia.

Broncos coach Kevin Walters said he was disappointed to lose the 139-game veteran, but glad Capewell could secure his long-term NRL future.

“Capes has played an important role for us over the past couple of seasons, both on and off the field as we laid down the foundations to turn things around as a club,” Walters said.

“He is a great bloke and a wonderful servant of our game, and he has made a big impact at our club in a short period of time since joining us in 2021.

“You won’t find many people who have a bad word to say about Capes.

“On behalf of everyone at the Broncos, I’d like to thank Kurt for all his efforts at the club and we wish him well.”

Kurt Capewell. Picture: Steve Pohlner

Kurt Capewell. Picture: Steve Pohlner
Capewell met with Warriors coach Webster in Auckland recently and the two have a relationship from their time together at Penrith, where Webster was an assistant to triple-premiership coach Ivan Cleary.

The Warriors rose from the NRL’s cellar to preliminary finals this year and the New Zealand club believes an experienced campaigner in Capewell can help them take another step forward.

Capewell’s departure opens the door for Piakura to be given first crack at the left back row berth next season following 13 NRL games this year.

Another player pushing for an opportunity under Broncos coach Kevin Walters is Dragons recruit Jaiyden Hunt.

Warriors CEO Cameron George last week confirmed the club’s interest in Capewell and said New Zealand was an attractive proposition for Australian players due to government financial incentives.

Brendan Piakura will be gunning for Capewell’s starting spot. Picture: Liam Kidston

Brendan Piakura will be gunning for Capewell’s starting spot. Picture: Liam Kidston
“Kurt is interested in what his future may look like and at this point in time, he is weighing things up,” he said.

“If we can be a part of that, we would love to talk with him further. That’s where we are at. We are waiting to understand what his thoughts are and we’ll go from there.

“A key attribute is Kurt’s leadership and experience. He is a quality footy player, he has won a premiership.

“We haven’t got to the point yet of any deals. The first thing we need to do is understand whether a player wants to relocate and if they are, then we move forward.

“Being in New Zealand has its challenges (for signing Australian players), but there’s also a lot of upside too.

“We have a much better taxation system here, we don’t pay stamp duty for houses, it’s a great lifestyle and a great opportunity to raise a young family in such a great country.

“The footy world in New Zealand is a lot of fun, we have a lot of unique things to offer and hopefully Kurt wants to be a part of that.”

BroncosHQ fans are saying KCs speed diminished in the last three months of the season and they are ok with replacing him.

Hopefully he just got fatigued and our sand dune training can get him back in top gear.

My forward pack and bench 2024

8 AFB
9 Egan
10 Afoa
11 Niukore
12 Capewell
13 Harris

14 Lussick
15 Tevaga
16 Barnett
17 Walker

BroncosHQ fans are saying KCs speed diminished in the last three months of the season and they are ok with replacing him.

Hopefully he just got fatigued and our sand dune training can get him back in top gear.

8 AFB
9 Egan
10 Afoa
11 Niukore
12 Capewell
13 Harris

14 Lussick
15 Tevaga
16 Barnett
17 Walker
If I remember rightly he was fantastic in that warriors semi

8 AFB
9 Egan
10 Afoa
11 Niukore
12 Capewell
13 Harris

14 Lussick
15 Tevaga
16 Barnett
17 Walker
Isn't he another one who has been injured and therefore Broncos fans and Nostradamus have no idea where his full recovery ceiling is.

Sounds like Jazz.

And I will laugh my arse off if Tohu comes out firing next year too.

Back