Recruitment Warriors 2024/2025 Recruitment & Retention

Warriors 2024/2025 Recruitment & Retention Discussion
key: T = Team option, M = Mutual option, P = Player option, D = Development contract

Confirmed Top 30 2024: 28/30
Confirmed Development 2024: 5/6

Confirmed Top 30 2025: 25/30
Confirmed Development 2025: 1/6

2025 Gains: Nil
2025 Losses: Addin Fonua-Blake (Sharks)

Last edited:
RTS didn't want to come here in 2024 either!

change is awkward and stressful. Weighing up life's next steps are big decisions with many layers of knock on effects/opportunity costs. I think we can afford players a little bit of leeway when it comes to expressing themselves during these periods.
Absolutely, and furthermore probably a huge factor in trying to attract aussie players for the Warriors. Listening to RTS on Betham’s show, fortunately he seemed fairly enthusiastic after meeting with Webster and watching the boys preseason games.

All hail the Webbysiah.
IMG_0446.jpeg

Heart says keep Curren but head says were stacked in his position. Ford will only get better with another Webster preseason and Niukore is a level above Curren when he clicks.

If Curren leaving allows us to snap up a prop, we have Barnett to cover prop/ second row and it provides opportunities for the youngsters as well.

I hope Curren has a blinder without the trial hanging over him next season and I suggest he gets Browny in as a mentor, as he was able to get the best out of him.
Niukore has higher ceiling but also has a criminal record like Barnett at the judiciary. I'd keep Curran just for the weeks Niukore Barnett and Ford are suspended.

RTS was set on going overseas. Webby changed his mind.

All hail the Webbysiah.
mgt the best at HO, love the all the coaches and everyone at the warriors organisation. dam getting RTS back again, been watching him play NPC the last few games at fullback, his kicking at the back is almost perfect, his reading of play is on point, his attack ditto, running good line into holes, tackling still got it, however his passing game needs to worked on some more i.e. passing unable to setup his supporting runner, that's always been his problem from day one, he's so gifted in his strong running game, he's never had to use his pass to beat a defender or draw in a defender, I'll still take that any day of the week, just loving life and the Wahz, life is good!!!!

mgt the best at HO, love the all the coaches and everyone at the warriors organisation. dam getting RTS back again, been watching him play NPC the last few games at fullback, his kicking at the back is almost perfect, his reading of play is on point, his attack ditto, running good line into holes, tackling still got it, however his passing game needs to worked on some more i.e. passing unable to setup his supporting runner, that's always been his problem from day one, he's so gifted in his strong running game, he's never had to use his pass to beat a defender or draw in a defender, I'll still take that any day of the week, just loving life and the Wahz, life is good!!!!

He can kick? 😂

How’s his tackling? Looking like he played under Leon McDonald one of the best fullbacks in the 2000s?

If he can’t pass probably stick with Monty on the left edge and either runs or be a decoy for Monty to crush through, would be so much fun watching him and Metcalf sniping around Barnett and Egan lol, I can see Egan getting a quick PTB and no look passes to RTS who steps then cut the line open lol, if he runs out of gas for long range give it to Luke

I thought he was signed when we were paying overs for everyone.

Considering the cap was just under 10M in 2021, while now it is just over 12M, maybe that is overs for the time? also considering he wouldn't have had much more than 20 games at that point.

Though, 480k doesn't seem particularly cheap for a bench backrower nowadays, but I really don't know. There are sure to be a few "salary cap gurus" around here that could say though lol

Find it weird how all this re Josh Cuzzan is coming out now, whilst he is on holiday overseas.

Warriors would not have had these talks with him over the phone / messenger or whatever. Obviously these talks could have been done prior.

But also, with 3 spots to fill in the top 30, Tohu potentially retiring end of year etc, I wouldn't think we'd have salary cap issues bringing our Rookies in on a starting minimum whilst they grow and prove their worth in first grade as there are candidates there that can play, we don't need a big name signing.

More so this could be either it's Cuzzans manager spreading the rumour so he can look elsewhere and return home, or more hopefully (so can be settled), there's a club/figure spreading the rumour, so they can try upset the relationship and get attempt to their hands on him.

I thought he was signed when we were paying overs for everyone.

Only players I could imagine them upgrading would be Metcalf as he can negotiate another contract past November, not sure what money he’s on but personally would want to see more before throwing too much money. Berry, who can also negotiate past November and could receive a money boost if seen as the other starting centre with RTS and Ford who also can negotiate and probably came over for a fairly cheap price and could get a bump in pay if extended.

He doesn't provide 480k of value. If that's his price, happy for him to move on.

Hate to say it, but you're right, especially as he is not seen as a starting player and likely not to be offered a contract in 2025 (I would assume the club has trust in the juniors coming through).

An early release to give us a good chance at a decent 2024/mid 2024 signing in a more suitable position. I think we all agree AFB needs some help, and Curran to a $500k prop gives us a more balanced roster.

Feel like he provides a lot more value at this stage than Jazz. Plays with a lot of energy and heart and covered centre well in an emergency. With Jazz unable to cover hooker, Curran offers more across the board.

It really seems odd we're under such salary cap pressure considering our roster and having SJ at basically half price. Our spine must be one of the cheapest in the NRL, apart from RTS our back should be dirt cheap too. Even with AFB and Tohu on big money, how are we so constrained? As far as I can see we have no albatross contracts, unless we're seriously paying 800k for DWZ which is absurd.

Feel like he provides a lot more value at this stage than Jazz. Plays with a lot of energy and heart and covered centre well in an emergency. With Jazz unable to cover hooker, Curran offers more across the board.

It really seems odd we're under such salary cap pressure considering our roster and having SJ at basically half price. Our spine must be one of the cheapest in the NRL, apart from RTS our back should be dirt cheap too. Even with AFB and Tohu on big money, how are we so constrained? As far as I can see we have no albatross contracts, unless we're seriously paying 800k for DWZ which is absurd.

I don't think it's 2024 salary cap pressure. Teams plan out their salary cap 2-3 years in advance.

With Nov 1 coming up his agent probably had a chat with us and it became apparent that there wouldn't be a 2025 contract coming to him.

You see it all the time, players leaving a year early because they can get a longer deal elsewhere.

We've got key guys to keep and upgrade for 2025 and Curran is probably on too much to fill a roll that a junior could for half the price.

The difference between Curran and Jazz is the latter is hardcore kiwi/warrior through and through.

So he'll bring something different off field. I like that he has the mongrel to give teammates a spray like he did with Ford but he needs to be on his own A game before he does that.

Curran at half a mill is way too much. $250-300k and he can stay.

I don't think it's 2024 salary cap pressure. Teams plan out their salary cap 2-3 years in advance.

With Nov 1 coming up his agent probably had a chat with us and it became apparent that there wouldn't be a 2025 contract coming to him.

You see it all the time, players leaving a year early because they can get a longer deal elsewhere.

We've got key guys to keep and upgrade for 2025 and Curran is probably on too much to fill a roll that a junior could for half the price.
With Bunty told he’s free to look around also and contracted until the end of 2025 would imagine he’s told he’s fallen down the order and if he can a better deal he’s also free to walk.

is it just me or has Bunty been told every other year he's free to look around but always stays?
Totally think he’ll stay and fight for his spot but the club not playing him in the back end of the season speaks volumes about where he sits I thought. He’s obviously been told what he needs to work on but this late in his career I’m not confident he can get there since he’s also been challenged in the past as you mention. I think if Bunty stays he might be nsw cup prop and prop injury cover unless he can get to where the club wants him.

Bunty being asked to move on is weird, considering he was extended for 2 more years not even 9 months ago now.. I get that things can change quickly, but I figured anyone who was signed or extended under Webby and/or Cappy's watch would be safe until at least the start of next season -

Te Maire Martin, August 22
Jackson Ford, September 22
Brayden Wiliame, November 22
Jazz Tevaga, November 22
Tom Ale, January
Bunty Afoa, January
Taine Tuaupiki, February
Demitric Sifakula, February
Roger Tuivasa-Sheck, April
Marcelo Montoya, May
Chanel Harris-Tavita, May
Wayde Egan, July
Ali Leiataua, July
Shaun Johnson, July
Adam Pompey, July
(Gotta say I didn't really click as to just how many signings Webby had his hands in until putting that list together)

Bunty doesn't appear to cause any issues, he is a stalwart of the club, and looks to be a good mentor for the younger boys. I don't see how him leaving would move the needle.

I don't think he will leave though to be honest, I think he would chain himself to the doors of Mount Smart before leaving NZ lol

Back