Recruitment Warriors 2024/2025 Recruitment & Retention

Warriors 2024/2025 Recruitment & Retention Discussion
key: T = Team option, M = Mutual option, P = Player option, D = Development contract

Confirmed Top 30 2024: 28/30
Confirmed Development 2024: 5/6

Confirmed Top 30 2025: 26/30
Confirmed Development 2025: 1/6

2025 Gains: James Fisher-Harris (Panthers), Jett Cleary (Panthers)
2025 Losses: Addin Fonua-Blake (Sharks)
2025 Off Contract: Shaun Johnson, Jazz Tevaga

Last edited:
I still think we're still short one more middle, a big bodied one at that.

Even before the JFH signing most felt we were rolling the dice somewhat not having back up if Addin went down, JFH signing hasnt changed that. Someone like a Tof Sipley in the rotation wouldve been ideal.

Then again (even tho i havent seen anything in his lower grade performances to suggest it) if Zyon Maiu’u has a stormer and can kick on to a Moses Leota type that'd be handy.......big ask tho.
Yes I kinda agree. But not Vete or schuster. Maybe Liu if there was no one else on the market.
I’m also happy to promote from within.
Let’s hope Zyon Maiu’u is that guy. Ale has shown glimpses. Bunty is just an average first grader who plays minimal minutes.

Liu is pretty ploddy these days, and he never was much of a noticeable player in his prime. He's a guy you would take for a near minimum contract, 1 year deal. But I don't see that he would want to be in NZ for naf all money anyway.

We certainly need another middle next year, our junior depth is still 2 years away from being NRL standard. Really hoping Sifakula is an answer, but his ACL has put him behind a year.

We have an old pack, we need to look at the future and some energy. If that is poaching a Willison/Greig. Or going for a top reserve grade guy looking for a shot like Peter Hola, Trey Mooney, Thomas Mikaele etc to give us a little depth with potential upside. That's what I would like to see, rather than getting a washed up guy on a retirement contract.

Broncos fans are worried about Xavier Willison requesting an early release from his contract after the signing of forward Jack Gosiewski from the cowboys and impending signing of Luke Garner from the Panthers. He seems to have finally cracked the bench, but may be on the lookout for a larger role somewhere else.

Walters is known for overlooking young talent, to only then attempt to re-sign them later on in their career.

I feel like we could definitely afford pickup his current contract from next season and then upgrade it at the end of the 25 season.

Broncos fans are worried about Xavier Willison requesting an early release from his contract after the signing of forward Jack Gosiewski from the cowboys and impending signing of Luke Garner from the Panthers. He seems to have finally cracked the bench, but may be on the lookout for a larger role somewhere else.

Walters is known for overlooking young talent, to only then attempt to re-sign them later on in their career.

I feel like we could definitely afford pickup his current contract from next season and then upgrade it at the end of the 25 season.
Be great if we could pick up Xavier! For a young prop he is putting out some good numbers. Isn't also from Taharoa where TMM is from?

I’m not sure where he’s from but he played Juniors for Whatawhata (just outside of the tron).
Found the article

"Whatawhata is a small town west of Hamilton and Willison appears to hail from Taharoa, while spending time at Hamilton Boys High School before moving to Palm Beach Currumbin High School on the Gold Coast."

Found the article

"Whatawhata is a small town west of Hamilton and Willison appears to hail from Taharoa, while spending time at Hamilton Boys High School before moving to Palm Beach Currumbin High School on the Gold Coast."
Palm Beach Currumbin has a good history of players in NRL.
Ikin, Dearden, Kevin Proctor, Ryan James, Darius Boyd, Fogarty,Jerome Hughes.Etc.

Last edited:
He is listed as 1CM taller but 1KG lighter than Moses Leota. Moeaki Fotuaika is 2CM taller, Francis Molo is the same height and Hame Sele is 1CM shorter. Can probably find more but the NRL isn't done with the 6 foot prop yet.
I agree he was initially surging through half gaps, had big impact if you did tackle him. He seems to have lost his sting and a little drive. His hit ups aren’t the same quality in the game or in the stats. He has lost a bit of aggression. I hope he proves me wrong because last year when he was paired with Gavet he was a bit of a terror. Real aggressive but seems to have lost a little sting.

I agree he was initially surging through half gaps, had big impact if you did tackle him. He seems to have lost his sting and a little drive. His hit ups aren’t the same quality in the game or in the stats. He has lost a bit of aggression. I hope he proves me wrong because last year when he was paired with Gavet he was a bit of a terror. Real aggressive but seems to have lost a little sting.
Hopefully if he gets paired up with JFH he gets that sting back. In all seriousness though props seem to take longer than other positions to get NRL ready. You have exceptions like Haas but the norm is guys like Toa Sipley. Sipley at 29 looks to be in career best form compared to how he started. Hoping it doesn't take that long for Zyon Maiu’u. We in this forum tend to bag young players if they start bad but is hardly unusual for young props to struggle initially.

IMG_8277.jpeg

Multi year, multi million dollar deal!

Source: https://www.dailytelegraph.com.au/s...k=c0657768583f3a4e43688d7aa41fb121-1713921478

Probably best for the kids to get away from sydney and out of his father and brothers spotlight. Getting out of a comfort zone is always a positive

gonna temper my expectations a bit and give out a conservative prediction but ill say he will probably be Kiwis 7 and maybe captain, Along with winning multiple Dally M's, golden boots, clive churchill medals

Still need someone who can vouch for how good he is or rather, how much potential he has shown. His last name is doing a lot of heavy lifting until then

Though little brothers are better at sports than their older siblings because they have to compete with the older ones in the backyard, isn't that what they say? 🤣

Could very well be the second biggest signing we've ever made after Webby when it is all said and done, but just trying to temper (my own) anticipation, he is 17 after all

Can someone please make Wayde's younger brother and the new Cleary be best friends.

Then when they both get brought in to the team in a few years we hopefully have the new Nathan/Jahrome combo.

It looks to be this will be a great signing for us in about 4 years after he's played NSW cup for a few years, but we'll still need him to get those first 2 years of first grade under his belt before we start seeing the the superstar there.