Recruitment Warriors 2024/2025 Recruitment & Retention

Warriors 2024/2025 Recruitment & Retention Discussion
key: T = Team option, M = Mutual option, P = Player option, D = Development contract

Confirmed Top 30 2024: 28/30
Confirmed Development 2024: 5/6

Confirmed Top 30 2025: 25/30
Confirmed Development 2025: 1/6

2025 Gains: Nil
2025 Losses: Addin Fonua-Blake (Sharks)

Last edited:
Best 17 and full squad
1. Charnze Nicoll-Klokstad
2. Dallin Watene-Zelezniak
3. Roger Tuivasa-Sheck
4. Adam Pompey
5. Marcelo Montoya
6. Te Maire Martin
7. Shaun Johnson
8. Addin Fonua-Blake
9. Wayde Egan
10. Mitch Barnett
11. Josh Curran
12. Marata Niukore
13. Tohu Harris

14. Dylan Walker
15. Bunty Afoa
16. Jackson Ford
17. Jazz Tevaga

18. Chanel Harris-Tavita
19. Ronald Volkman
20. Freddy Lussick
21. Luke Metcalf
22. Tom Ale
23. Rocco Berry
24. Edward Kosi
25. Brayden Wiliame
26. Demitric Sifakula
27. Ali Leiataua
28. Valingi Kepu
29. No player signed
30. No player signed

Say Tuaupiki replaces Kepu at number 28 and Zyon Maiu’u is number 29, with Leiataua listed there at number 27 that would indicate there’s one spot left unless someone like Kalani Going or Paul Roache took number 30.

Best 17 at season end:
3. Roger Tuivasa-Sheck
4. Ali leiataua
5. Ed Kosi
6. Te Maire Martin
7. Shaun Johnson
8. Addin Fonua-Blake
9. Wayde Egan
10. Mitch Barnett
11. Josh Curran
12. Marata Niukore
13. Tohu Harris

14. Dylan Walker
15. Harris-Tavita
16. Ford
17. Silafula

Best 17 at season end:
3. Roger Tuivasa-Sheck
4. Ali leiataua
5. Ed Kosi
6. Te Maire Martin
7. Shaun Johnson
8. Addin Fonua-Blake
9. Wayde Egan
10. Mitch Barnett
11. Josh Curran
12. Marata Niukore
13. Tohu Harris

14. Dylan Walker
15. Harris-Tavita
16. Ford
17. Silafula
I like it provided Leiataua has sorted some of his defensive deficiencies that were there at times in nsw cup in the off season, certainly would start the season with that combo and know there’s a couple of good defensive centres waiting. Leiataua could be some of that X factor we’re lacking. Bench is too small for me, Sifakula or Ford at prop is like expecting Jazz to battle the big middles. They just give away too much size. Would ultimately need whoever to go into the backrow and Niukore to prop with Walker filling Tohu’s role off the bench so effectively.

With Leiataua on that list I posted and Spence’s mention on Tuaupiki, could there be one spot left with Zyon Maiu’u filling one of the spots you say with Leiataua?
I think signing Zyon Maiu’u late in the peice was an indication on how tight the salary cap was. His, Sifakula, Ale, Leiataua, Tuaupiki, Ale & Kepu's salaries all combined probably wouldn't equal Tohu's.
He could train the house down over the offseason & get a top 30 spot for 2024 but seeing as he already has a Development contract I don't think the club will rush into any decision just incase someone unexpected jumps into the market

I like it provided Leiataua has sorted some of his defensive deficiencies that were there at times in nsw cup in the off season, certainly would start the season with that combo and know there’s a couple of good defensive centres waiting. Leiataua could be some of that X factor we’re lacking. Bench is too small for me, Sifakula or Ford at prop is like expecting Jazz to battle the big middles. They just give away too much size. Would ultimately need whoever to go into the backrow and Niukore to prop with Walker filling Tohu’s role off the bench so effectively.
Yea, the bench is hard to work out. It could go so many ways.

I just feel by year end we need at least 2/3 juniors to step into being a regular and Kosi (due to Montoya being hot and cold), Ali (due to his talent) and Sikafusa (as the pick of the forwards - depending on ACL recovery) seem the most likely players.

I think signing Zyon Maiu’u late in the peice was an indication on how tight the salary cap was. He could train the house down over the offseason & get a top 30 spot for 2024 but seeing as he already has a Development contract I don't think the club will rush into any decision just incase someone unexpected jumps into the market
Certainly more than happy if Zyon Maiu’u can be an effective bench prop but really feels like we’re missing a starting prop and a bench prop. I think Barnett is perfect for a bench player who comes on with some power and can fill second row and lock effectively too. Would be great to see another starting prop with Barnett and Zyon Maiu’u off the bench.

That would be very close to my 17 to start next year. Certainly 1-7 is what I would go with. The only changes I might make is in the forwards/bench selections. If Bunty is in the 17 then he starts over Barnett for me. I would potentially look at Ale or Sifakula (if fit) instead of Bunty. I'd start Ford and have Niukore to come off the bench, probably as a middle foward. Also think Jazz would only be there if he is hooker cover - CHT may be a better utility option than him.

Yea, the bench is hard to work out. It could go so many ways.

I just feel by year end we need at least 2/3 juniors to step into being a regular and Kosi (due to Montoya being hot and cold), Ali (due to his talent) and Sikafusa (as the pick of the forwards - depending on ACL recovery) seem the most likely players.
I’d probably agree with the first two but probably see Zyon Maiu’u as the third most likely over Sifakula just because of what we lack in terms of front row size. Really unsure on where Bunty sits and Tevaga can’t add enough impact being used at prop.

That would be very close to my 17 to start next year. Certainly 1-7 is what I would go with. The only changes I might make is in the forwards/bench selections. If Bunty is in the 17 then he starts over Barnett for me. I would potentially look at Ale or Sifakula (if fit) instead of Bunty. I'd start Ford and have Niukore to come off the bench, probably as a middle foward. Also think Jazz would only be there if he is hooker cover - CHT may be a better utility option than him.
Certainly plenty of options with so many of the squad filling multiple positions so effectively.

Just a note that if anyone is looking for it at any point, I am keeping the first post in this thread updated with all of next year's confirmed signings, as well as a list of signings that are yet to be fully confirmed by the club

(e.g. Webster has said that Taine will be the backup fullback next year, but we are yet to have an actual announcement that his option has been activated)
Love your work, mind adding numbers for each squad spot taken to the post? 🙂

Anyone know anything about this guy? Could he be a low cost wing option?
I watched him quite a bit when he played for Northland a few years ago. I thought he would be the next big thing before he moved on.
Career kind of spluttered along as mentioned in the article.
Definitely has the skill and size for it. Just unsure if he could convert at this late stage.
NZ rugby is an absolute goldmine for wingers though. We should be recruiting from the guys who don't make it past Super Rugby level. Tevita Li was one of my favourites. He would have been a super star in league.

If Sifakula is not available for 8-10 rounds to start the season while recovering from surgery, surely we would put him on a development contract.
There's about 30k difference in the salary between being a development player & being near the bottom of the 30. The remaining Kepu stayed on a top 30 contract despite it being known in January that he had an injury ruling him out of the year. The CBA is in place to protect the income of players like Sifakula & Kepu

With the roster we’ve got I’d play Tohu and AFB as the starting and finishing ‘prop’ rotation. Jazz would start at 13 and swap for Walker at 30 mins.

Barnie and Ale/Bunty come on for the middle stint prop rotation.

Would be great to upgrade Bunty/Ale but hopefully they can upgrade themselves in the off season.

Would be great to upgrade Bunty/Ale but hopefully they can upgrade themselves in the off season.
What do you reckon about the pair finishing the season in nsw cup? Possibly put there to work on areas they perhaps need improvement? Bunty didn’t play much at all and Ale was predominantly lock.

With the roster we’ve got I’d play Tohu and AFB as the starting and finishing ‘prop’ rotation. Jazz would start at 13 and swap for Walker at 30 mins.

Barnie and Ale/Bunty come on for the middle stint prop rotation.

How do you feel our roster lines up against the competition with this setup? Feels worse than this year unless Jazz has an absolute blinder career best year. Bringing Jazz into our starting lineup is a pretty significant downgrade, especially in such a key position.

The failure to recruit a decent prop really limits our ceiling next year. Tohu is also taped together, we should be aiming to reduce his workload a bit surely.

Just feels really disappointing if we can't get something done, but maybe we get lucky and AFB stays fit all year and it doesn't matter so much.

How do you feel our roster lines up against the competition with this setup? Feels worse than this year unless Jazz has an absolute blinder career best year. Bringing Jazz into our starting lineup is a pretty significant downgrade, especially in such a key position.

The failure to recruit a decent prop really limits our ceiling next year. Tohu is also taped together, we should be aiming to reduce his workload a bit surely.

Just feels really disappointing if we can't get something done, but maybe we get lucky and AFB stays fit all year and it doesn't matter so much.
Part of the plan here would be to reduce Tohu and AFBs minutes to 55 (compared to 80 and 65+ this year) so they have more impact for longer

I think Jazz would add some defensive line speed and run ‘middle lines’ off Tohu quite well

Still not ideal

What do you reckon about the pair finishing the season in nsw cup? Possibly put there to work on areas they perhaps need improvement? Bunty didn’t play much at all and Ale was predominantly lock.
Both definitely sent back to Cup with ‘work-ons’

Part of the plan here would be to reduce Tohu and AFBs minutes to 55 (compared to 80 and 65+ this year) so they have more impact for longer

I think Jazz would add some defensive line speed and run ‘middle lines’ off Tohu quite well

Still not ideal
Thanks for the response. We've seen Webby work some miracles with the players form, I'm just hoping we can grab the right battler and turn them into a startable prop.

Back