Sports Black Caps

There is panic about finding replacements for Southee and Boult and rightly so. However guys like Henry, Milne, Ferguson, O'Rourke and Sears are bowling fast and accurate. All teams seem to having 'nasty fasties' available. To me there seems a lack of quality incisive spinners
Whaaaaaatttt????

Ashok.

Well we are NZ we have never had more than one quality spinner in a generation. Our pitches encourage people to bowl seam up.
Jeetan was the back up to Dan and Jeetan wasn't very good.
I do not think that is totally correct. Boock and Bracewell, the Alabasters

I do not think that is totally correct. Boock and Bracewell, the Alabasters
OOh who were the Alabasters = tell me more if you would be so kind. what era?

How do you think John Bracewell would have gone inT20? I wonder if his abrasiveness would have been an asset or a liability.
I am trying to think who are the good off spin T20 players. The problem is with off spin you are coming into the arc of the right handers wanting to slog you to cow corner. The Englishman Graeme Swann helped England win the T20 world championship circa 2010 so they can be successful but I think all other factors being equal he might have struggled while Boock being a left arm orthodox would fair better.
Bracewell's all rounder nature would have helped as his batting would have been well suited to hit and giggle cricket.

On the 1980s
Obviously Lance Cairns would have eaten up T20
Hadlee's batting could have gotten him a promotion all the way up to number 4 in the line up

Probably a 1980s early 90s T20 batting line up would look like this

1 Richard Reid
2 Martin Crowe
3 Greatbatch
4 Hadlee (I would put him there as he could really bat quickly)
5 Lance Cairns why hide him down the order
6 Coney
7 Rod Latham
8 Ian Smith
9 Gary Troup
10 Sneddon
11 Boock

I wouldn't pick Chatfield for T20 as Gavascar cleaned him up one day and Chats had no answer to people slogging him

I am trying to think who are the good off spin T20 players. The problem is with off spin you are coming into the arc of the right handers wanting to slog you to cow corner. The Englishman Graeme Swann helped England win the T20 world championship circa 2010 so they can be successful but I think all other factors being equal he might have struggled while Boock being a left arm orthodox would fair better.
Bracewell's all rounder nature would have helped as his batting would have been well suited to hit and giggle cricket.

On the 1980s
Hadlee's batting could have gotten him a promotion all the way up to number 4 in the line up

1 Richard Reid
2 Martin Crowe
3 Greatbatch
6 Coney
7 Rod Latham
8 Ian Smith
9 Gary Troup
10 Sneddon
11 Boock

I wouldn't pick Chatfield for T20 as Gavascar cleaned him up one day and Chats had no answer to people slogging him
As a youngster Bob Cunis (Ak ) was one of my favorite players .Would battle into the wind all day .Old time Wagener.

I don't care about his religion. He is bowling well - I'd have picked him ahead of Sodhi in the black caps squad
Off topic but we seem to be going through the worlds main religions as tenants in the rental…. the first were Christians (part of Brain Tamaki’s mob), the next Hindus and the ones shifting in this week are Muslims. When they go, we’ll probably then get Jews and then Buddhists. Or all we need is atheists and we’ll have had all the bases covered.

On the 1980s

1 Richard Reid
2 Martin Crowe
3 Greatbatch
6 Coney
7 Rod Latham
8 Ian Smithndrew Jones for Reid wit Greatbatch opening
9 Gary Troup
10 Sneddon
11 Boock

Jones all day at 3. Bracewell Boock, far better with bat. Latham, Troup and Sneddon a bit ordinary, Chats for me.

Back