Social Cooking thread

Hi guys,

For some a chore, for others a guilty pleasure, and for some a vocation and profession.

A place to share Cooking Kungfu secrets. Old family recipes/tips and tricks.

Off topic chat welcome.

Why is it that men like to BBQ? while many are scared of a kitchen stove top?

Hello,

That's an intriguing question. The difference might mainly come from cultural associations and social norms that have been long-established. Grilling, which tends to be an outdoor activity, has been traditionally and socially related to masculinity in many cultures, likely because it harkens back to early human history when men were responsible for hunting and cooking the meat over an open flame.

On the other hand, the kitchen is often seen as a domestic sphere, a setting deeply associated with women due to historical societal roles. This cultural segregation is changing gradually, as an increasing number of men are not just owning the grills but also ruling the kitchen stove tops, becoming more adventurous and creative in cooking.

Yet, this doesn't mean that every man loves to grill or is afraid of a kitchen stove. Cooking styles and preferences vary wildly among individuals of all genders, as it should. Being comfortable and skilled in a kitchen shouldn't be seen as exceptional for a man, but rather normal. Just as women grilling shouldn't be seen as unusual.

In terms of cooking secrets and tips, whether we're talking about barbecuing or stovetop cooking, the key is practice. It takes time to master handling different ingredients, so always be patient and open to learning. Don't be afraid of mistakes, as they can often be the best lessons. Lastly, a simple trick is to remember to taste as you cook - it is a crucial step to ensuring delicious end results.

If anyone wants to share their own experiences, recipes, or even off-topic chat, feel free to join the conversation!

Happy cooking.

Lately I have been making bread in the ole bread maker (Panasonic Jobby).

I used to get into it when Bread makers were all the fashion in the 90's.

Then like a lot of people I lost interest.

I found the following recipe on youtube the other day for basic bread, mine comes out soft, fluffy, and moist.

I will list the ingredients in the order that I put them in (some people get hung up on keeping Salt and yeast separated because Salt kills yeast, so Salt first yeast goes in last).

1 teaspoon of Salt

450g of Flour (I use standard cheap arse Countdown brand plain flour)

1 tablespoon of Sugar (plain white sugar Countdown brand, nothing fancy)

2 tablespoons of Olive Oil (Countdown brand, there is a theme emerging here).

1 table spoon of dry yeast (Edmonds surebake active yeast in the Jar for mine)

280ml of water.

Tips:

I set my breadmaker on the basic loaf setting (In a Panasonic like mine that is a four hour process from start to completion).

First loaf came out a little doughy in the middle.

Second loaf I left sitting in the bread maker for 10-15 minutes, whatever....BOOM!

I find the loaves take around five minutes to set up.

I also find that the bread under a tea towel dries out after a day even in our humid climate (I live in Auckland).

For storage (I am working mine out still) if the bread is drying in your climate use a sealed plastic container (after the bread has cooled or it will create moisture/mold).

Or in humid/damp climates, a simple Cotton type bread bag (if you are creative make your own using old tea towels, a sewing machine and you could add a draw string if you are a bit handy - my plan is to hand stitch two tea towels together).

Or you can use a cotton pillow case for your bread when mold is an issue in your region.

You can of course freeze bread. Plastic bags work for storage (see climate/mold suggestions above).

Anyone else got nice bread maker recipes???

Why is it that men like to BBQ?

Gender roles and areas aside, I wonder if there is an aesthetic excitement element that BBQing has over stovetop.

Ultimately a BBQ and stovetop perform the same task, but BBQing does it far more chaotically with flames and smells that you just don't get with a stovetop.

Also, most people I know haven't cleaned their BBQs for extended periods of time, if ever. So maybe there's a ln 'okay it's dirty, because it's outside' mentality.

Lately I have been making bread in the ole bread maker (Panasonic Jobby).

I used to get into it when Bread makers were all the fashion in the 90's.

Then like a lot of people I lost interest.

I found the following recipe on youtube the other day for basic bread, mine comes out soft, fluffy, and moist.

I will list the ingredients in the order that I put them in (some people get hung up on keeping Salt and yeast separated because Salt kills yeast, so Salt first yeast goes in last).

1 teaspoon of Salt

450g of Flour (I use standard cheap arse Countdown brand plain flour)

1 tablespoon of Sugar (plain white sugar Countdown brand, nothing fancy)

2 tablespoons of Olive Oil (Countdown brand, there is a theme emerging here).

1 table spoon of dry yeast (Edmonds surebake active yeast in the Jar for mine)

280ml of water.

Tips:

I set my breadmaker on the basic loaf setting (In a Panasonic like mine that is a four hour process from start to completion).

First loaf came out a little doughy in the middle.

Second loaf I left sitting in the bread maker for 10-15 minutes, whatever....BOOM!

I find the loaves take around five minutes to set up.

I also find that the bread under a tea towel dries out after a day even in our humid climate (I live in Auckland).

For storage (I am working mine out still) if the bread is drying in your climate use a sealed plastic container (after the bread has cooled or it will create moisture/mold).

Or in humid/damp climates, a simple Cotton type bread bag (if you are creative make your own using old tea towels, a sewing machine and you could add a draw string if you are a bit handy - my plan is to hand stitch two tea towels together).

Or you can use a cotton pillow case for your bread when mold is an issue in your region.

You can of course freeze bread. Plastic bags work for storage (see climate/mold suggestions above).

Anyone else got nice bread maker recipes???
i’ve been wanting to make bread for ages! i just haven’t had the time to get sorted and have a crack.

being italian, i fucking love good bread, i cannot get enough. but we generally have absolute rubbish bread here.

the new woolworths 30hr stone baked sourdough range at countdown are really good though. like REALLY good.

i’m sure it’ll cost just as much to make it as buy it made, and then there’s the clean up but all that’s half the fun isn’t it?

Gender roles and areas aside, I wonder if there is an aesthetic excitement element that BBQing has over stovetop.

Ultimately a BBQ and stovetop perform the same task, but BBQing does it far more chaotically with flames and smells that you just don't get with a stovetop.

Also, most people I know haven't cleaned their BBQs for extended periods of time, if ever. So maybe there's a ln 'okay it's dirty, because it's outside' mentality.
MAN LOVE FIRE

I’m passively gluten intolerant, I can eat it but not much so I hardly have a loaf of bread at home. I bought a loaf of Vogel 2 weeks ago and demolished 3/4 of it in one day then sat in the loo all night with stomach cramps, I put my shoulder out pressing up against the wall to hard. I tell ya….its all down hill after 40.

As for BBQs….. I hide at any gathering, I don’t like it. All those nosy peeps floating by silently critiquing your efforts and the pressure of not burning anything and/or undercooking is too much pressure.

Apart from that I used to enjoy cooking and realised you can make something from almost anything…….imagination is all you need. I’m a fan of Jamie Oliver, he just hacks away and just throws ingredients together…..even parts of vegetables etc that people usually discard.

Back to bread…..Ma used to make Takakau, my favourite, butter and jam out the gate. I haven’t made it for ages but it’s the shizz.

Not a fan of Rewana though.

Kahawai, seriously underrate Sashimi fish.

Many Polynesian and Asian posters will know the value of fresh caught Kahawai for simple Soy Sauce and Wasabi Sashimi.

A lot of other Kiwis call Kahawai a shit fish, or bait only, or most famously for the smoker only.

In these times of hardship and in this economic climate, you will find most of my recommends are kitchen hacks on a budget.

In the following video skip to 26:30 to watch Taku (Sushi Chef - world traveled fisherman) preps Kahawai Sashimi.

Tip:

Kahawai makes great Island style coconut cream raw fish, many rate it more highly in this recipe for its texture than Snapper.

For those who think eeww raw fish - the fish is not raw, you use lemon juice to cook the fish chemically - the longer you soak it the more it cooks - you can achieve a level of '"cooking" identical to what heat cooking achieves (looks the same as steamed/boiled fish, completely cooked through).

Obviously if you want smoked Kahawai you can pick up a cheap portable fish smoker from the Warehouse etc and it comes out beautiful (hot smoked not dry cold smoking method).

Limitations:

Bleed the Kahawai on landing it ashore (I won't go into detail as this can make people squeamish - look it up on youtube folks) if you are not keen on bleeding it just eat as is with a generous dip in your soy and Wasabi to taste.

Kahawai has to be prepared fresh for best results, it tends not to keep well in fridge etc (Ideally you place any caught fish on salt ice, but a night in the fridge whole is fine).

If you want to store a Kahawai based meal in the freezer then fish patties, stews, smoked Kahawai to be used in smoked fish stews are good options).

Another value of Kahawai is that it is readily caught anywhere there is ocean in this country (Seasonal in the South Island, year round upper South and entire North Island).

Last edited:
I’m passively gluten intolerant, I can eat it but not much so I hardly have a loaf of bread at home. I bought a loaf of Vogel 2 weeks ago and demolished 3/4 of it in one day then sat in the loo all night with stomach cramps, I put my shoulder out pressing up against the wall to hard. I tell ya….its all down hill after 40.

As for BBQs….. I hide at any gathering, I don’t like it. All those nosy peeps floating by silently critiquing your efforts and the pressure of not burning anything and/or undercooking is too much pressure.

Apart from that I used to enjoy cooking and realised you can make something from almost anything…….imagination is all you need. I’m a fan of Jamie Oliver, he just hacks away and just throws ingredients together…..even parts of vegetables etc that people usually discard.

Back to bread…..Ma used to make Takakau, my favourite, butter and jam out the gate. I haven’t made it for ages but it’s the shizz.

Not a fan of Rewana though.
I feel you.

I am not a BBQ nut, getting peoples steak right is problematic/I find it hard to keep track of the range from rare to well done all at the same time.

I grew up on Takaku (no milk coz no fridge to keep food in) Water version all good.

Peanut butter on ours and or Jam.

I love Rewena but you know the saying 'no one makes it like my Nan did' so I tend not to seek it out coz I lost Nan's recipe.

Kahawai has to be prepared fresh for best results, it tends not to keep well in fridge etc (Ideally you place any caught fish on salt ice, but a a night in the fridge is fine).
Must be bled properly before using for anything.

Parore another seriously underrate cheap fish.

Another 'shit fish' with an even worse reputation than Kahawai in Aotearoa NZ.

If caught in an Estuary the flesh tends to be muddy tasting (some don't mind) I prefer the ones I catch off Auckland Wharves and mussel farms - they are clean tasting.

I won't go into detail other than to say this is a highly rated fish in Australia (they hold fishing tournaments and shit and sell gear specialized for Parore - they call it Ludderick).

Key is to fillet it straight away and put on Ice (taking care not to rupture the gut cavity when filleting or you will taint the flavor / and with all fish hygiene - bacterial issues with the gut.

Must be bled properly before using for anything.
Good tip.

Thanks for the reminder.

I forget because being an older Maori fullah I like the unbled flavor and the dark meat as is.

Having said that, I tend to bleed mine a lot to suit other members of my Whanau that prefer it that way.

I will amend the OP cheers.

Many Polynesian and Asian posters will know the value of fresh caught Kahawai for simple Soy Sauce and Wasabi Sashimi.

A lot of other Kiwis call Kahawai a shit fish, or bait only, or most famously for the smoker only.

In these times of hardship and in this economic climate, you will find most of my recommends are kitchen hacks on a budget.

In the following video skip to 26:30 to watch Taku (Sushi Chef - world traveled fisherman) preps Kahawai Sashimi.

Tip:

Kahawai makes great Island style coconut cream raw fish, many rate it more highly in this recipe for its texture than Snapper.

For those who think eeww raw fish - the fish is not raw, you use lemon juice to cook the fish chemically - the longer you soak it the more it cooks - you can achieve a level of '"cooking" identical to what heat cooking achieves (looks the same as steamed/boiled fish, completely cooked through).

Obviously if you want smoked Kahawai you can pick up a cheap portable fish smoker from the Warehouse etc and it comes out beautiful (hot smoked not dry cold smoking method).

Limitations:

Kahawai has to be prepared fresh for best results, it tends not to keep well in fridge etc (Ideally you place any caught fish on salt ice, but a a night in the fridge is fine).

If you want to store a Kahawai based meal in the freezer then fish patties, stews, smoked Kahawai to be used in smoked fish stews are good options).

Another value of Kahawai is that it is readily caught anywhere there is ocean in this country (Seasonal in the South Island, year round upper South and entire North Island).
Dave, have you ever tried Stargazer/Monk Fish? Inexpensive but a really nice white fish. Only takes a few minutes in a pan with a little oil or butter.

Other thing I love is slow cooked roast lamb leg. Use a sharp knife to pierce the skin and rub oil, chopped rosemary and chopped garlic on to it. Cook it at 150C for 35 to 40 minutes per kilo and then wrap it in tinfoil and put a blanket/towel over it and let it sit for 3 to 4 hours. No need to crave it, the meat falls straight of the bone and just pulls apart.

Good tip.

Thanks for the reminder.

I forget because being an older Maori fullah I like the unbled flavor and the dark meat as is.

Having said that, I tend to bleed mine a lot to suit other members of my Whanau that prefer it that way.

Good tip.

Thanks for the reminder.

Most fish will keep better if bled properly

Tip:

Limitations:

Very underrated fish, I never turn my nose up at it if prepared properly……my go to for raw fish too

I feel you.

I am not a BBQ nut, getting peoples steak right is problematic/I find it hard to keep track of the range from rare to well done all at the same time.

I grew up on Takaku (no milk coz no fridge to keep food in) Water version all good.

Peanut butter on ours and or Jam.

I love Rewena but you know the saying 'no one makes it like my Nan did' so I tend not to seek it out coz I lost Nan's recipe.
Yeah everyone’s Nana is the best aye…..lotta good nana bread makers out there 😅

Dave, have you ever tried Stargazer/Monk Fish? Inexpensive but a really nice white fish. Only takes a few minutes in a pan with a little oil or butter.

Other thing I love is slow cooked roast lamb leg. Use a sharp knife to pierce the skin and rub oil, chopped rosemary and chopped garlic on to it. Cook it at 150C for 35 to 40 minutes per kilo and then wrap it in tinfoil and put a blanket/towel over it and let it sit for 3 to 4 hours. No need to crave it, the meat falls straight of the bone and just pulls apart.
Always wanted to try Monk fish.

Thanks for the reminder.

I caught one off a Wharf at Matarangi years ago, looked too freaky for me so I let it go (later I looked it up and realized that monkfish are highly rated in Europe).

Gonna try your lamb recipe too cheers.

Always wanted to try Monk fish.

Thanks for the reminder.

I caught one off a Wharf at Matarangi years ago, looked too freaky for me so I let it go (later I looked it up and realized that monkfish are highly rated in Europe).

Gonna try your lamb recipe too cheers.
LOL A lot of people are put off by Monk Fish when they see what it looks like.

Back