Recruitment Warriors 2024/2025 Recruitment & Retention

Warriors 2024/2025 Recruitment & Retention Discussion
key: T = Team option, M = Mutual option, P = Player option, D = Development contract

Confirmed Top 30 2024: 28/30
Confirmed Development 2024: 5/6

Confirmed Top 30 2025: 25/30
Confirmed Development 2025: 1/6

2025 Gains: Nil
2025 Losses: Addin Fonua-Blake (Sharks)

Last edited:
I interpret it more as one of either SJ or Metcalf won’t be there in 2025.
If it’s between the two and an SJ wants to play on having a season like the last, I think it’s an easy decision. Personally not seeing a halfback replacement for SJ in Metcalf so we’d need to go to market potentially. A lot hinges on where they see CHT? If SJ retired next season and Metcalf stayed, we’d potentially have 3 five eighths and no tried halfback. As it stands we’ve got 1 halfback in SJ this season and 3 five eighths in TMM, Metcalf and CHT.

I would've thought it would be a straight forward deal, these are multi million dollar businesses and as such surely there processes in place when signing up new employees police vetting, cert of birth, references etc., etc. and seeing it's a physical oriented business one of the most important crucial parts of the employment contract would be having a rigorous physical check up to ensure the athlete doesn't have any major injuries etc. - really standard operating procedure (sop), so onus on the new employer, as someone posted "due diligence" would be on the new employer, not the previous one. On a different subject, I hope the Wahz go after a favorite Chiefs player of mine Saun Stevenson, a tall boy, has amazing x factor and he can kick for distance and crucially he can kick goals too, don't forget Daryl Halligan how he was so important to the doggies for a number of years winning a number of games for them with his goal kicking.

The guy asked for (and was granted) a release- he didn’t want to be here.
Agree with everything you said but this part has me wondering why we paid him (assuming that's accurate).

The only scenario that makes sense is that he was made aware that he wasn't going to get 1st grade time here and so it was kind of a joint agreement in that we get to free up a space and he gets to go somewhere that his prospects are better.

Edit: should of read past this, all discussed already.

Agree with everything you said but this part has me wondering why we paid him (assuming that's accurate).

The only scenario that makes sense is that he was made aware that he wasn't going to get 1st grade time here and so it was kind of a joint agreement in that we get to free up a space and he gets to go somewhere that his prospects are better.

I'm thinking it's probably a good faith settlement. To get him here I'd say whatever he was sold isn't going to materialise - shake hands and move on.

He also may have felt he couldn't take a one year deal and give up a 2 year deal - possibly prepared to stick it out, but we came to the party with compensation that allowed him to take the deal.

We also don't know the specifics of his contract. Presumably we put down a sweet deal to get him from the Roosters which could have included favorable release clauses for him

Unless I have missed something I am surprised that the club hasn't front footed this
Anyone seen or heard about it
With no way back for him to the Warriors as mentioned, and the potential of a loan for the season and return for 2025 floated at one stage that’s now off the table, is it possible we’re not interested because of the injury or because we’ve found a replacement for next season?

Also the article mentions Volkman being the 5th halve takes away a players spot in the top 30 that could be used for another position as part of the reasoning. I can only see potentially front row where we’re lacking and don’t see who could be promoted? Wouldn’t matter to promote a development player as they are free to play from round 1 under new rules.

Didn't actually realise Josh Papali was off contract at the end of this year.

Might be a good option for a year or two at 500k? Give those young bucks one more year before we need them to perform week in/week out. If we could, maybe even see if we could snag him for this year (and back pay nek year) to free up a bit of cap space for the Raiders...

Even with Papalii slowing down and getting injured last year, he still played 18 games and made nearly 130 meters a game...

Might be a good option for a year or two at 500k? Give those young bucks one more year before we need them to perform week in/week out. If we could, maybe even see if we could snag him for this year (and back pay nek year) to free up a bit of cap space for the Raiders...

Even with Papalii slowing down and getting injured last year, he still played 18 games and made nearly 130 meters a game...
Great suggestion. How old is he? Google says he turns 32 in May 2024

not really-father time has caught up with JP

I don't think I saw much of him last year, care to elaborate?

A 32/33 year old for a one year contract would be decent if he's making over 100m a game. Lots of knowledge for Zyon Maiu’u and Laban to soak up before they're consistent week in/week out props

Reactions: kos
I don't think I saw much of him last year, care to elaborate?

A 32/33 year old for a one year contract would be decent if he's making over 100m a game. Lots of knowledge for Zyon Maiu’u and Laban to soak up before they're consistent week in/week out props
I watched JP in a game back at Suncorp a long time ago maybe his first 1 st grade game there and was impressed.
A couple of years ago maybe three at C Bus Stadium v Titams he chased down a Titans back on a runaway try certainty caught him and stopped him

But last year I noticed the cberra coach used him for much smaller minutes and correct me if I.m wrong had a few injuries.
He is certainly not the player of even two years ago.

Raiders in extension negotiations at the moment he’s said publicly, reckons he’s good for another couple of years.

Very interesting read here. Looks as though it was floated that Volkman was a loan to dragons at one stage and to come back in 2025, where it’s mentioned it’s unlikely SJ and Metcalf will be with us. Would say Metcalf is definitely gone after this season for which there could have been scope to bring Volkman back as the replacement 4th halve. Now sounds as though he is finished at the Warriors and won’t be offered to come back with his shoulder now an ongoing concern. Sounds like this isn’t going to settle quickly with dragons accusing Warriors of dirty tactics
Rich that the Drags are accusing us of dirty tactics. But I would not expect anything less from Flanno Snr. The wanker should not have been allowed to return to the game after his shit with the Sharks.

Rich that the Drags are accusing us of dirty tactics. But I would not expect anything less from Flanno Snr. The wanker should not have been allowed to return to the game after his shit with the Sharks.
Wouldn’t be surprised if this is a bit of a fuck you to Flanagan, reckon he might have been agitating for AFB to leave early? In saying that, the Warriors couldn’t have known the dragons were going to be so half arsed.

It’s all over there forum if you have read through it. Crazy that they’re trying to defend flanno knowing what’s he’s done in the past.

A bit more on the Volkman situation. Written by Andrew Webster. No not that one the one that is pretty irrelevant now everyone got on the Warriors train. That was funny last year when he commented every time the Warriors won his Twitter would get flooded.

The start of the article makes it sound like the Warriors knew of an issue. They provided a report he had a bit of a complaint. Has some quotes from Cameron George that the Warriors contributed financially.

Later on it mentions the RLPA got added to the CBA uncontracted players cannot train with teams. Also after you announce a signing you have 5 days to register the player. Also lists some examples of players being announced and the signing not going ahead. Says how the smart clubs operate.

A few interesting parts.
RLPA chief executive Clint Newton urged the NRL to look into the Dragons’ actions.
“One of the many obligations of a club is that no player is to train without a registered contract,” he said. “We know that training still carries significant risk, none more so than what we saw with Corey.”

The NRL’s response? “The NRL will liaise with the relevant parties to understand the circumstances,” a spokesman said.
Head office might want to ask how Volkman’s management signed a “deed of termination” on December 24 before the contract had been registered with the NRL.
Again, several clubs spoken to said the accepted practice is to lodge the deed of release and the new contract within minutes of each other. As one head of football said: “If you were joining another company, would you not make sure you’d signed the contract before you resigned?”

Several clubs to whom I spoke made it clear the buck stops with the club that’s signing the player. The medical report from his previous club is a guide, not a rule, to be followed. Buyer beware, in other words.

The only people who should be protected are the club from sheer incompetence from RV, his manager, Flanno and the Dragons.

Back