Politics NZ Politics

Who will get your vote in this years election?

• National

Votes: 17 26.2%
  • Labour

Votes: 13 20.0%
  • Act

Votes: 7 10.8%
  • Greens

Votes: 9 13.8%
  • NZ First

Votes: 5 7.7%
  • Māori Party

Votes: 3 4.6%
  • Other

Votes: 11 16.9%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
This is purely my opinion but I think Newshub and TVNZ failing is a lot due to the changing in the times, hardly anyone I know even watches TV anymore.
This coming from a 30 - 40 year old who works with a lot of <30 year olds as well as people fresh out of school.
We are in our 70's and the only news I consistently read is the Herald online.
We have given up on the Breakfast show.
They have 4 or 5 people fronting that show when 2 people would suffice.

If we ever watch the news, it was the 5.30 news on Prime (or whatever it's called now). Over in 30 minutes and with only one presenter doing the news, sports news and weather. TVNZ do that for their midday and late news and three do it for their late news.

The fact is it isn't a political reason the media companies are reducing their news services (despite what Willie Jackson says) but advertising revenue..... companies just don't have it within their budgets to spend as much on advertising as they did before and a large number have moved away from TV advertising to running ads on Social Media platforms.

Plus, FB, Insta and other platforms taking news content without paying for it has not helped either.

he fact is it isn't a political reason the media companies are reducing their news services (despite what Willie Jackson says) but advertising revenue..... companies just don't have it within their budgets to spend as much on advertising as they did before and a large number have moved away from TV advertising to running ads on Social Media platforms.

Plus, FB, Insta and other platforms taking news content without paying for it has not helped either.
This is the whole thing. As mike suggests it's not just TV newsrooms that are feeling the pinch. All major news outlets will be in similar boat.
They can get rid of all the tv news, I don't think the platform matters - what matters is the size of the news gathering pool(s), the journalists. These are shrinking because of a lack of funding.
The smaller the news production pool becomes the worse the news coverage will get.

When this was first announced this is one think Marcus Lush mentioned. The breakfast shows have a large staff, there was also no reduction in the number of presenters for that or the news.

The 6pm news for example could have gone down to one presenter or to half an hour.

I did laugh the other day when there was a headline that a media organisation had obtained a copy of the TVNZ email that went out to staff. It is from media people who rely on getting leaked information etc. So they probably don't care about passing it on.

During the pandemic, there was an article about how hard the pandemic would be for news media. At that point there was a lot of unknown for a lot of industries. The journalist had the advantage of a wide-reaching platform to plead his case. Something someone in the hospitality trade or tourism cannot dop easily.

1712900420845.png

Utterly corrupt.

Where’s your sources bro? Only 5% in 2061? Smoking is naturally dying out.

MOH: Daily smoking was 6.8% in 2022/23, down from 8.6% the previous year and 16.4% in 2011/12. Rapidly dropping. Probably under 5% now based on these MOH stats.

Your usual biased making up history. Utterly corrupt interpretation 🤣

I want smoking gone as well but it’s dying out on it’s own despite you going on like a broken record! Under National smoking will be gone within 10 years BASED on real life DATA and natural changes. The lefts gone insane over a non event.

85B71CD7-A229-4375-8DA6-B31E872FB436.png

i also think the presenters overplay their hand, thinking they each offer something special that is really critical in delivering news to us. I remember in the mid 2000s, Judy Bailey got paid $800k by TVNZ to present the news. And TVNZ argued "that's her market value". That was 20 years ago. On that salary, inflated to today would be $1.3m!!!!

But the reality is, I don't care who reads me the news. In fact, I don't like Andrew Saville, and John Campbell I have no opinion on people like Samantha Hayes.

They aren't reporters, or journalists. They are newsreaders. They read words off a teleprompt. Nothing special about that.

If you applied that reasoning, you'd probably be able to staff the newsroom on 40% of its current payroll cost

Still probably wouldnt watch it. Certainly wouldnt sit down for a full hour of it

What's up with the weather report? Who actually watches that 3 min presentation when you get more accurate weather on your phone? And why do I care what the weather is doing in some random city in the South Island, Raro, or Aussie? Yet this segment hasn't changed in my entire lifetime.

What's up with the weather report? Who actually watches that 3 min presentation when you get more accurate weather on your phone? And why do I care what the weather is doing in some random city in the South Island, Raro, or Aussie? Yet this segment hasn't changed in my entire lifetime.
The tv weather used be be one one of those shared sociatal rites that brought us all togethe as a country, seeing how the other guys are going, ooh looks wet in Auckland again, Christchurch is in for a hot one, still no rain for Bay of Plenty, that won't help the droubt, fuck Raro looks nice, wish I was there. But no one watches it anymore, kids are too busy on their phones talking to their friends and having lives.

The tv weather used be be one one of those shared sociatal rites that brought us all togethe as a country, seeing how the other guys are going, ooh looks wet in Auckland again, Christchurch is in for a hot one, still no rain for Bay of Plenty, that won't help the droubt, fuck Raro looks nice, wish I was there. But no one watches it anymore, kids are too busy on their phones talking to their friends and having lives.
My pet dislike is the tinpot presenters putting in their 2 bobs worth on subjects they are not qualified to talk about.
Subjects like Mental health etc

The tv weather used be be one one of those shared sociatal rites that brought us all togethe as a country, seeing how the other guys are going, ooh looks wet in Auckland again, Christchurch is in for a hot one, still no rain for Bay of Plenty, that won't help the droubt, fuck Raro looks nice, wish I was there.
Let's all watch how the drizzle in Christchurch will look like in 4 hourly snapshots throughout the day, just in case anyone is interested. Moving north, there will be some fog in Hamilton, which will improve through the day. It will be clear by noon.

Ooooh it will be 32 in Fremantle. That's hot! Have never been there, and probably never will

and so on and so forth

Let's all watch how the drizzle in Christchurch will look like in 4 hourly snapshots throughout the day, just in case anyone is interested. Moving north, there will be some fog in Hamilton, which will improve through the day. It will be clear by noon.

Ooooh it will be 32 in Fremantle. That's hot! Have never been there, and probably never will

and so on and so forth
It was like the most boring form of escapism ever invented, except for Lord of the Rings

Where’s your sources bro? Only 5% in 2061? Smoking is naturally dying out.

MOH: Daily smoking was 6.8% in 2022/23, down from 8.6% the previous year and 16.4% in 2011/12. Rapidly dropping. Probably under 5% now based on these MOH stats.

Your usual biased making up history. Utterly corrupt interpretation 🤣

I want smoking gone as well but it’s dying out on it’s own despite you going on like a broken record! Under National smoking will be gone within 10 years BASED on real life DATA and natural changes. The lefts gone insane over a non event.

View attachment 6637

Uhh you cant come in, rapidly change the variables and then project the same trajectory...

Back