NRL NRL Expansion

When's the last time the NRL played a game in Perth? Was it well attended? How much of an appetite do Perthonians (Perthites?) have for league?

At least in NZ it gets a lot of interest
Perth usually gets a game most years their next one is in Aug, plus they the get regular origin games that sell out.
Reds still have a nostalgic fondness similar to the Bears and although it’s true WA favours AFL there’s still a healthy appetite for league, it’d be the next strongest state in league they had a team in sg ball pre covid.

Once they get their 20 teams,
Will it be ten games each weekend or 9 games and two teams have a bye.
Or will it ten games and they have a rest week once or twice

Might end up with two conferences with three bye rounds for every team and an expanded finals series..
I would hate being in Melbourme's conference and that is what will happen
All the sydney teams in one conference and the rest in another

I would hate being in Melbourme's conference and that is what will happen
All the sydney teams in one conference and the rest in another
I despise when conferences are brought up, especially when ‘Sydney conference’ comes up. Clubs that barely travel want to go to zero travel? Imagine how much of an unfair advantage that’d be for recruiting players?
I’d prefer (at 20 teams) everyone plays everyone once alternating home & away, 3 x 2 week rep weeks (origin one week, internationals (-Aus) the next). 10 team finals teams 1-6 get the first week off, 7 plays 10/ 8 plays 9 winners get into the semis

I despise when conferences are brought up, especially when ‘Sydney conference’ comes up. Clubs that barely travel want to go to zero travel? Imagine how much of an unfair advantage that’d be for recruiting players?
I’d prefer (at 20 teams) everyone plays everyone once alternating home & away, 3 x 2 week rep weeks (origin one week, internationals (-Aus) the next). 10 team finals teams 1-6 get the first week off, 7 plays 10/ 8 plays 9 winners get into the semis
I feel the same way. Gould keeps bringing up conferences as the Sydney clubs can't compete with the one town clubs. His view not mine. The Sydney clubs can recruit without having the players to adjust the life as much as they do having to move to Auckland, Canberra, Melbourne etc.

There is still a lot of sponsorship dollars available in Sydney.

There would be some disadvantages of being in Sydney. Some players it might not suit lifestyle wise. For the club maybe harder for junior numbers. But again that would be offset by less travel and the costs associated with all of the Harold Mathews, SG Ball etc. Any disadvantages the Sydney clubs have they need to live with, the game tried hard rationalise the number of Sydney clubs and all they did is kick their heels in.

Nah go the Super Rugby route, 20 teams top 16 teams qualify for a round of 16 play off, 1 plays 16, 2 plays 15….

🤣

Nah go the Super Rugby route, 20 teams top 16 teams qualify for a round of 16 play off, 1 plays 16, 2 plays 15….
Isn't their current set up a top 8 in a 12 team competition?
When the NRL had a system like that with 14 or 15 sides our journalists used to like to point out that was silly.

I prefer each conference being composed of teams drawn "from a hat" so they are spread out not according to location

I prefer each conference being composed of teams drawn "from a hat" so they are spread out not according to location
I fancy the idea of local derbies such as:
Rabbitohs vs Roosters
Bulldogs vs Eels
Broncos vs Titans
Warriors vs Keas..

NRL expansion: ARL Commission backs Bears joint venture with Perth, Perth bid team prefer solo licence over merger with Bears or Jets

The ARL Commission wants the Bears back in the big league as part of a push for North Sydney to join forces with Perth, despite the WA bid team’s preference to set up a stand-alone club. WA bid boss Peter Cumins said they are willing to compromise to get a team approved, but made clear the mixed marriage of Perth and a foundation club raised concerns. “We are very parochial in Western Australia and, with due respect, the history of the Newtown Jets or North Sydney Bears doesn’t carry a lot of weight in Perth,” Cumins said. The Perth Bears are the preferred candidate for an NRL licence, with North Sydney just 10 days away from learning their fate as part of the ARL Commission’s expansion masterplan. WA bid powerbrokers will hold talks with North Sydney and Newtown Jets chiefs in the next two weeks to satisfy any ARLC demands.

North Sydney was axed from the premiership in 1999, but if ARLC chair Peter V’landys gets support, the Bears will be back as an NRL force in 2027 or 2028. V’landys will preside over a board meeting on Wednesday week – the day of Origin II – that shapes as one of the most historic conventions in the code’s 116-year history. At that meeting, the ARLC board will mull over an expansion document which is likely to result in a call for three new franchises. Following the meeting, the Commission is expected to call for expressions of interest from consortiums bidding to be part of a 20-team league, with their introduction to be staggered in the lead up to the 2032 Brisbane Olympics. The existing 17 clubs will be included in the expansion process – and rewarded with extra grants totalling at least $60 million. Western Australia is now the frontrunner to oust Papua New Guinea and be the NRL’s 18th team by 2027.

V’landys is keen for North Sydney to form a strategic alliance to launch the Perth Bears. The ARL Commission’s June 26 meeting could see an 18th NRL team named for 2027, followed by a 19th franchise 12 months later. Cumins believes the code’s most aggressive expansion drive since Super League is imminent. “I do get a sense that there will be an announcement in June and it will be expansion (is going ahead),” Cumins said. “I think Perth will be included, whether we’re the 18th, 19th or 20th team, for us it doesn’t matter, as long as we know we will be back in the game. “They are talking 2027 (for the 18th team), so that’s not far away and we’ll have to get cracking.

“There has been a lot of talk about a marriage with the North Sydney Bears and the Jets has popped up as another option for us. “We think we can do it on our own.” It is understood there are concerns over Perth’s grassroots, supporter base and development pathways. The WA bid consortium will be advised to join forces with the Bears, a foundation Sydney club with a latent supporter base, plus established junior and senior structures, to secure NRL admission. Under the plan, there is scope for the Newtown Jets to broker a feeder-club arrangement, giving the Bluebags second-tier links to a Perth Bears NRL franchise. The Newtown Jets and North Sydney Bears squared off in the 💙 Mighty NSW Cup at Henson Park on Saturday ahead of their respective meetings with Perth bid bosses. Cumins said he has not received a formal directive from the ARL Commission to merge with the Bears, but Perth will do so if it means entering the NRL. “We’re led to believe at the moment it won’t be a condition (to secure an NRL licence), but that’s not set in stone,” he said. “If it was a condition, well we are desperate to have a team in Perth and we would make the Perth Bears a success. “If it’s not a condition, we would have to consider what the Bears or the Jets would bring to an NRL franchise in Perth. “It’s got to be more than just a logo and a name that has no relevance in Perth. “I will meet with both clubs at the end of June and hopefully they put a compelling case forward to satisfy everybody.”

North Sydney chairman Daniel Dickson believes the Perth Bears can be a smash hit as the NRL’s 18th or 19th club. “This is by no means a takeover plan from us,” he said. “This can be a two-city team. “The game has been speaking favourably about the Bears and its history and we think this is a wonderful marriage to bring a state like Western Australia into the game, combining it with the rich history of the Bears.

“If the NRL desires a team to be housed in Perth, that’s fine by us – we took the name ‘North Sydney’ out two years ago in order for the game to position the Bears in the right place. “The Perth Bears is the perfect marriage.”

I hope Perth can go it alone, otherwise it will be a team with an identity crisis from day dot. Especially with the Bears trying to force several home games at North Sydney Oval.

Plus, Pirates is a waayyy cooler name/brand than the other two lol

Last edited:

NRL expansion: ARL Commission backs Bears joint venture with Perth, Perth bid team prefer solo licence over merger with Bears or Jets

The ARL Commission wants the Bears back in the big league as part of a push for North Sydney to join forces with Perth, despite the WA bid team’s preference to set up a stand-alone club. WA bid boss Peter Cumins said they are willing to compromise to get a team approved, but made clear the mixed marriage of Perth and a foundation club raised concerns. “We are very parochial in Western Australia and, with due respect, the history of the Newtown Jets or North Sydney Bears doesn’t carry a lot of weight in Perth,” Cumins said. The Perth Bears are the preferred candidate for an NRL licence, with North Sydney just 10 days away from learning their fate as part of the ARL Commission’s expansion masterplan. WA bid powerbrokers will hold talks with North Sydney and Newtown Jets chiefs in the next two weeks to satisfy any ARLC demands.

North Sydney was axed from the premiership in 1999, but if ARLC chair Peter V’landys gets support, the Bears will be back as an NRL force in 2027 or 2028. V’landys will preside over a board meeting on Wednesday week – the day of Origin II – that shapes as one of the most historic conventions in the code’s 116-year history. At that meeting, the ARLC board will mull over an expansion document which is likely to result in a call for three new franchises. Following the meeting, the Commission is expected to call for expressions of interest from consortiums bidding to be part of a 20-team league, with their introduction to be staggered in the lead up to the 2032 Brisbane Olympics. The existing 17 clubs will be included in the expansion process – and rewarded with extra grants totalling at least $60 million. Western Australia is now the frontrunner to oust Papua New Guinea and be the NRL’s 18th team by 2027.

V’landys is keen for North Sydney to form a strategic alliance to launch the Perth Bears. The ARL Commission’s June 26 meeting could see an 18th NRL team named for 2027, followed by a 19th franchise 12 months later. Cumins believes the code’s most aggressive expansion drive since Super League is imminent. “I do get a sense that there will be an announcement in June and it will be expansion (is going ahead),” Cumins said. “I think Perth will be included, whether we’re the 18th, 19th or 20th team, for us it doesn’t matter, as long as we know we will be back in the game. “They are talking 2027 (for the 18th team), so that’s not far away and we’ll have to get cracking.

“There has been a lot of talk about a marriage with the North Sydney Bears and the Jets has popped up as another option for us. “We think we can do it on our own.” It is understood there are concerns over Perth’s grassroots, supporter base and development pathways. The WA bid consortium will be advised to join forces with the Bears, a foundation Sydney club with a latent supporter base, plus established junior and senior structures, to secure NRL admission. Under the plan, there is scope for the Newtown Jets to broker a feeder-club arrangement, giving the Bluebags second-tier links to a Perth Bears NRL franchise. The Newtown Jets and North Sydney Bears squared off in the 💙 Mighty NSW Cup at Henson Park on Saturday ahead of their respective meetings with Perth bid bosses. Cumins said he has not received a formal directive from the ARL Commission to merge with the Bears, but Perth will do so if it means entering the NRL. “We’re led to believe at the moment it won’t be a condition (to secure an NRL licence), but that’s not set in stone,” he said. “If it was a condition, well we are desperate to have a team in Perth and we would make the Perth Bears a success. “If it’s not a condition, we would have to consider what the Bears or the Jets would bring to an NRL franchise in Perth. “It’s got to be more than just a logo and a name that has no relevance in Perth. “I will meet with both clubs at the end of June and hopefully they put a compelling case forward to satisfy everybody.”

North Sydney chairman Daniel Dickson believes the Perth Bears can be a smash hit as the NRL’s 18th or 19th club. “This is by no means a takeover plan from us,” he said. “This can be a two-city team. “The game has been speaking favourably about the Bears and its history and we think this is a wonderful marriage to bring a state like Western Australia into the game, combining it with the rich history of the Bears.

“If the NRL desires a team to be housed in Perth, that’s fine by us – we took the name ‘North Sydney’ out two years ago in order for the game to position the Bears in the right place. “The Perth Bears is the perfect marriage.”

I hope Perth can go it alone, otherwise it will be a team with an identity crisis from day dot. Especially with the Bears trying to force several home games at North Sydney Oval.

Plus, Pirates is a waayyy cooler name/brand than the other two lol
I hope so too, although a joint venture between Perth and North Sydney is still a far less risky proposition than a club based exclusively in Port Moresby.

The NRL changes it's opinion on the favourite for the 18th team more than most people change their socks.

If one of the NZ franchises went over to talk to the NRL and present their case. We would likely see articles on NZ being the favoured location.

The second NZ franchise would help filling out the first Friday time slot.

I would be more hopeful of the economic viability of the Southern Keas if they rebranded to "Southern and Central Keas" and gave 3 homes games to Wellington each year.
I live in Wellington which has some league hot spots like Wainuimata etc and we can't fill a stadium for a full season. I could see us selling out Westpac for three games if that was all we were going to get. But give us our own team and 12 home games and the weekly attendance would dwindle down to maybe 8000 our 6000 on a wet and windy night. With just three matches we would pack it out as a novelty as we are starved of live league and get at least 20K in each game.
I still remember when the Warriors came here at the start of last season the crowd loved every second of it,
I think the people doing the Southern Keas Christchurch forecast should not to do optomistic forecasts but very realistic ones for what is achievable not in the first year when it is new and exciting but 5 years later and the novelty worn off.

I would be more hopeful of the economic viability of the Southern Keas if they rebranded to "Southern and Central Keas" and gave 3 homes games to Wellington each year.
I live in Wellington which has some league hot spots like Wainuimata etc and we can't fill a stadium for a full season. I could see us selling out Westpac for three games if that was all we were going to get. But give us our own team and 12 home games and the weekly attendance would dwindle down to maybe 8000 our 6000 on a wet and windy night. With just three matches we would pack it out as a novelty as we are starved of live league and get at least 20K in each game.
I still remember when the Warriors came here at the start of last season the crowd loved every second of it,
I think the people doing the Southern Keas Christchurch forecast should not to do optomistic forecasts but very realistic ones for what is achievable not in the first year when it is new and exciting but 5 years later and the novelty worn off.
Southern Keas - 3 games Welly, 6 games ChCh and 3 games Dunners?