Social Movies

Side note - isn’t it a bit of a myth that Napoleon was short and he was in reality the average height for the time in his part of the world?
Another side note, read a book called The Unquiet Mind years ago about manic depression, the author traced his conquest of Europe by his diary records of his moods, when he was elevated or manic his army were unstoppable, then they had long periods of inactivity while he wallowed in gloom and dark depression it sounded like.

Anybody ever seen a doco the invisible pilot? Crazy story of this guy faked his death and hypnotised his mrs to make it believable that he jumped off a bridge. He went on to be one of the biggest drug traffickers ever.

Offbeat miscellany: Seven Psychopaths, In Bruges, Promising Young Woman, Three Billboards Outside Ebbing, The Unbearable Weight of Massive Talent, Requiem for a Dream, Fargo
Nolan: Memento and Interstellar
Tarantino: any of them, but Basterds for the characters and Jackie Brown for the plot

Offbeat miscellany: Seven Psychopaths, In Bruges, Promising Young Woman, Three Billboards Outside Ebbing, The Unbearable Weight of Massive Talent, Requiem for a Dream, Fargo
Tarantino: any of them, but Basterds for the characters and Jackie Brown for the plot
Martin McDonagh has done some excellent stuff, loved In Bruges.

Will look up Unbearable Weight, cheers bro

Really enjoyed Seven Psychopaths, saw it at my local suburban cinema back whenever it first came out knowing absolutely nothing, and loved it.

Have been meaning to watch it again, had on my Netflix watchlist for years before eventually dropping the sub, but spotted it on TVNZ on demand recently so that may have to be one of my summer re-viewings before it drops away again.

Speaking of Sam Rockwell, I quite enjoyed that film he was in where he played a life guard at a small town swimming pool (The Way Way Back, thanks Google), came out similar time as 7P, still kinda quirky but in a more wholesome way than his usual slightly unhinged roles.

Favourite directors:
- Coen brothers
- Safdie brothers
- Martin McDonagh
- Tarantino
- Guy Richie

A few random movies I've enjoyed recently
- La haine (1995)
- Palm Springs (2020)
- Another round (2020)
- Locke (2013)
- Untold, Rise and fall of And1, netflix doco
- This place rules (2022) doco
- Last stop Larrimah (2022) doco

Last edited:
Watched Oppenheimer. I enjoyed it.
I watched it over two nights, which I think helped - it's fucking long.

Has Christopher Nolan made a bad film?
I just can’t get into Interstellar, the prestige is one of my all time favourites though.
The last of his Batman trilogy was easily the weakest and a bit all over the place

Back