Recruitment Warriors 2024/2025 Recruitment & Retention

Warriors 2024/2025 Recruitment & Retention Discussion
key: T = Team option, M = Mutual option, P = Player option, D = Development contract

Confirmed Top 30 2024: 28/30
Confirmed Development 2024: 5/6

Confirmed Top 30 2025: 25/30
Confirmed Development 2025: 1/6

2025 Gains: Nil
2025 Losses: Addin Fonua-Blake (Sharks)

Last edited:
Given we are on a roll, we shouldn’t be signing big names. We should be transitioning talent from within

If we are to bring anyone in, they should be better than average players with high upside that we can plug into our system and unlock potential

The value of a player should increase when they come into the fold, rather than increase when we approach them

Likewise, when players get too expensive, the club should be identifying them and looking to swap with others that could be on the up
While I agree, this is when you can pick up the 1-2 real talent signings a year because they actually want to come here and will for cheaper. The real x-factor players.

If Webster can bring out the best in average talent players, you look to upgrade for slightly taller, stronger, faster, bigger motor, etc. Imagine what Webster can do with the physical outliers!

Look at the Storm and they primarily develop the young raw talent - but they always also snap up a few Katoa’s and Coates every year.

That’s how we move from a top 4 team to champions.

The last player there was a rumour around regarding the Warriors was Micheal Chee Kam, sounds like the rabbitohs are going to re sign him. I agree with you that if anyone comes it’ll likely be a second rower. Not sure if we’d go for a player in later stages of their career in order not to block young guys coming through but I think a player like Laban is a couple of years away but also great prospects like Maia Sands etc coming up. I think we’d take a middle if the right person became available but I’m watching with interest how the broncos can keep Jordan Riki.
Rikki has shades of SBW about him. The whole web site wants him.

As you mentioned about Fords crash plays, he’s been admirable but I think a player like Riki sends us to another level with the threat he poses.
As you mentioned about Fords crash plays, he’s been admirable but I think a player like Riki sends us to another level with the threat he poses.
Riki is the broncos forward that could give them the edge on Saturday not Haas or Carrigan
Riki hurt us in ths Napier match as well he stuck some dagger blows into us

Ford has 8 line breaks this year to Rikis 4. Riki is a very good player but Ford is doing a fantastic job whilst not being overly flashy. Find it hard to believe that people have been death riding him and Niukore all year

Ford has 8 line breaks this year to Rikis 4. Riki is a very good player but Ford is doing a fantastic job whilst not being overly flashy. Find it hard to believe that people have been death riding him and Niukore all year
SBW I mean Riki is a proud Kiwi :)

I'm happy for him to stay a d see how he develops over the next 3 or 4 seasons. Great work ethic can't be coached, we just need some X factor in other areas.

For years we have wanted defensive back rowers who could tighten the edges and the Warriors have that in Niukore and Ford.

Sifakula looks to be the confrontational type, Ale has a skill set more suited to lock with his body shape, and Halasima looks athletic.

None of these guys would break the bank like Riki would do but also I see the mana in having a guy like Riki, who could be a leader?

Ford was everything we could want in the Newcastle game. He is not on huge money and is a different animal in our pack, complementary to the others. He is also improving (discipline around penalties). It will be interesting to see how he goes against the vaunted Broncos pack this saturday, but I think he has earned his spot and he fits well in our team system.

Imagine if he had 10kgs more muscle
He’s not that mobile as it is. 10kg would impact his ability to have a high work rate. It’s not size that’s the issue. It’s always handy having a worker edge and an impact edge. His deficiencies are his missed tackles & line running/mobility. This should come with time. But he’s a grafter, a battler & will do the tough hit ups. He’s also got a motor, and goes and goes. His work rate & ethic has landed him a starting spot in a top 4 team in the nrl, from being a reserve grader for a bottom 4 side. His progress & trajectory is outstanding & im keen to see where he’ll get to over the next year or two under webby.

He’s not that mobile as it is. 10kg would impact his ability to have a high work rate. It’s not size that’s the issue. It’s always handy having a worker edge and an impact edge. His deficiencies are his missed tackles & line running/mobility. This should come with time. But he’s a grafter, a battler & will do the tough hit ups. He’s also got a motor, and goes and goes. His work rate & ethic has landed him a starting spot in a top 4 team in the nrl, from being a reserve grader for a bottom 4 side. His progress & trajectory is outstanding & im keen to see where he’ll get to over the next year or two under webby.
I’d put Ford in the Propping rotation for next year with Curran and Marata in the back row. And then bringing Demetric onto the bench.

2024 Team,

Nicoll-Klokstad
Kosi/Tuivasa-Scheck
Leiataua
Tuivasa-Scheck/Berry
Watene-Zelezniak
Metcalf
Johnson
Barnett
Egan
Fonua-Blake
Curran
Niukore
Harris

Walker
Ale
Ford
Sifakula

When at the Warriors Ice was a defensive warhorse with little to no offence. A great work ethic and excellent tackle percentage

Strange to consider that this has flipped around.
He wanted out of his Tigers contract tho eh and it shows, just watch ICE at marker, he hides where he does not have to work and then he goes out by the wing for rests.

He has become a terrible player.

We have a center for next year RTS. So there is no need for more centers, Pompey, Berry and Ali can fight it out for the other spot.

I don't think we need a Winger either, because RTS can go left Wing to Ali's left center if they choose to replace Montoya, Ali and RTS would make a great combo.

As for Prop, they are too expensive, we need to steadily bring on the boys from the Cup and grow a Prop, they are far more promising than the average prop we could afford if the club can be patient and work through them to see who breaks out next year.

I do not think we need to sign anyone to be honest. CHT is coming in probably for Siro, and can replace a half if they go down mid game allowing Walker to stay in his role.

I believe we have the talent in house to find one dynamic forward, even another Winger, and we have plenty of Centers.

While I agree, this is when you can pick up the 1-2 real talent signings a year because they actually want to come here and will for cheaper. The real x-factor players.

If Webster can bring out the best in average talent players, you look to upgrade for slightly taller, stronger, faster, bigger motor, etc. Imagine what Webster can do with the physical outliers!

Look at the Storm and they primarily develop the young raw talent - but they always also snap up a few Katoa’s and Coates every year.

That’s how we move from a top 4 team to champions.

Yup develop large and recruit gaps or upgrades

I don't mind Ford. Gutsy player. Quite good speed. Good enigne.

But he has hands like Manu. Loves the dropsies.
Also his discipline is quite bad. Loves to give a penalty away at the worst times. Usually at the end of our sets. Work in progress. Has the physical attributes. Just his mental application needs work.

Back