Recruitment Warriors 2024/2025 Recruitment & Retention

Warriors 2024/2025 Recruitment & Retention Discussion
key: T = Team option, M = Mutual option, P = Player option, D = Development contract

Confirmed Top 30 2024: 28/30
Confirmed Development 2024: 5/6

Confirmed Top 30 2025: 25/30
Confirmed Development 2025: 1/6

2025 Gains: Nil
2025 Losses: Addin Fonua-Blake (Sharks)

Last edited:
In my mind it's most likely what happens. All this talk of swaps /trades etc....And he decides to honour his contract with us. Meanwhile we had fun trying to figure out who we could get in return for him lol.
Thought it bodes well in the article that he doesn’t want to let the club down. If it’s genuine about the family, perhaps the club are doing all they can to appease him. Like parents brought over or something like that?

Thought it bodes well in the article that he doesn’t want to let the club down. If it’s genuine about the family, perhaps the club are doing all they can to appease him. Like parents brought over or something like that?
Yeah, I would hope the club are doing all they can do to meet his needs and make him feel more comfortable about staying. If not, You can only bend over so far before you've stopped kissing his ass & your lips deep in you're own ass.

I thought he was really ordinary last year, average metres 143 vs 157 in 2022, average post contact 56 metres vs 65 in 2022, 0.2 offloads a game vs 0.9, 1.9 tackle breaks vs 3.2 and his average minutes over the last 5 years have gone 64, 61, 59, 55 and then down to 49 in 2023. Total games have been 16 or less in 3 of the last 4 seasons. He’s not worth more than $600k a season.
Yep, the length and value of the contract they gave him was crazy

Just released in the courier mail brisbane newspaper.
Kurt Capewell set to join the Warriors effective immediately
The Broncos are preparing to lose the fourth player from this year’s grand final team, with a former Queensland Origin star on the verge of walking away from the club.

The Broncos are bracing for ex-Maroons forward Kurt Capewell to quit the club and join the Warriors immediately.

Just released in the courier mail brisbane newspaper.
Kurt Capewell set to join the Warriors effective immediately
The Broncos are preparing to lose the fourth player from this year’s grand final team, with a former Queensland Origin star on the verge of walking away from the club.

The Broncos are bracing for ex-Maroons forward Kurt Capewell to quit the club and join the Warriors immediately.

Interesting in that tohu Harris interview when he said Webby has given the leaders in the team specific players they want them to work with this season.
He’s obviously got capewell lined up to take our young edge forwards under his wing.

I find this really interesting that this is being reported as a possibility with where this is at. Interesting because I’m wondering if there’s a tactic the Warriors are employing? They’ve done all you could ask a player in AFB’s position wanting a release by granting it if a player presents itself that has upside and for 2025. The 4 players the club publicly stated would be who they would accept to gain in order to be a front runner in negotiations for AFB’s signature all came from lower teams that aren’t in a premiership window any time soon. The only club that is on the list of clubs potentially in a window that are interested in AFB are the sharks and no players were mentioned from there that the Warriors would accept. Surely AFB still has aspirations to win a title, the club could be saying the only options we are willing to release you is to go to a team that has limited chance of success anytime soon and we are the best option if you want to win a title in your career?

I find this really interesting that this is being reported as a possibility with where this is at. Interesting because I’m wondering if there’s a tactic the Warriors are employing? They’ve done all you could ask a player in AFB’s position wanting a release by granting it if a player presents itself that has upside and for 2025. The 4 players the club publicly stated would be who they would accept to gain in order to be a front runner in negotiations for AFB’s signature all came from lower teams that aren’t in a premiership window any time soon. The only club that is on the list of clubs potentially in a window that are interested in AFB are the sharks and no players were mentioned from there that the Warriors would accept. Surely AFB still has aspirations to win a title, the club could be saying the only options we are willing to release you is to go to a team that has limited chance of success anytime soon and we are the best option if you want to win a title in your career?

You've been sucked in by the media reports - The Warriors have not stated 4 players they would want for a AFB. That's all media speculation with no back up.

George is playing a straight bat, nothing has been confirmed, he hasn't been released yet, everything is still to be confirmed.

Great to get Capewell this season, adding RTS CHT and him to last seasons squad with the loss of a couple bench second rowers is pretty massive.

Not so sure. History says it's always the opposite of what CG says publicly:

"Phone's ringing hot" = 0 calls
"RTS is committed to the Warriors" = He's off to rugby.
"RTS is committed to the NZRFU" = He's coming back.
"I'm not confident" = Contract is imminent.

"he’s on the market for 2025 and that’s what we’re looking at" = set to join the Warriors effective immediately

🤣

Love to read this on Foxsports..

WWOS is reporting Capewell’s early exit has been with anger by a group of senior players who believe the former Panther was instrumental in their finals charge in 2023.​
Kevin Walters outfit came desperately close to lifting the trophy, before superstar halfback Nathan Cleary delivered a second half masterclass.​
Senior figures reportedly believe his cool head and experience played a big role in the Broncos success.​
Therefore, they were shocked that club powerbrokers were even considering cutting him loose for the 2024 season.​

There is a lot more to a player than just what they put out on the park, and he is a good player, but extremely highly rated off it.

Back