93 kg
Position/s
  1. Five-Eighth
  2. Halfback
Warrior #
Warriors Debut Date
Jun 18, 2022
Warriors Debut Details
June 18 2022, Round 15 vs Penrith Panthers at Moreton Daily Stadium, Brisbane, Queensland, Australia
Warriors Years Active
  1. 2022
  2. 2023
Signed To
St George Dragons
Signed From
Sydney Roosters
Current Club
St George Dragons
Rep Honours
  1. Samoa
Status
Active
Wikipedia
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ronald_Volkman
Rugby League Project
https://www.rugbyleagueproject.org/players/ronald-volkman/summary.html
That's fantastic from the club. Not sure many other, if any, clubs would do the same in a similar situation
Under the CBA, the previous club of a player can still be deemed responsible for medical costs like surgery and rehabilitation.

That provision is one of many the RLPA secured during protracted negotiations last year to help ensure players like Volkman, still have a layer of protection while uncontracted.

is what is written in the shit rag the courier mail i think you were paying regardless

Under the CBA, the previous club of a player can still be deemed responsible for medical costs like surgery and rehabilitation.

That provision is one of many the RLPA secured during protracted negotiations last year to help ensure players like Volkman, still have a layer of protection while uncontracted.

is what is written in the shit rag the courier mail i think you were paying regardless
Any link to that?

its a paid site if that dont work this is the only bit with any relevance

View attachment 4954

feel free to delete if its against your forums rules ect to post images of paid sites/shrug
Interesting wording though. 'Can' still be deemed responsible. Different to 'will be' or 'is'

Seems like there is a bit more for the Dragons to answer for with Flanagan admitting Volkman was training with them.

i mean neither club comes out looking good from it imo they were arguing at the start who was responsible for the cost. As per the RLPA agreement the warriors would be the most likely to be responsible as the injury happened in pre season training with them.
id be saying the same thing if my club sent Karl oloapu to the bulldogs broken and he ended up in the same situation as volkman.

Glad that Volkman is being taken care of.

It makes sense for the Warriors to pay for it. The rules posted earlier would work the same way if the player retired. It also makes sense that the clubs statement about it makes them look good. Can understand them putting a statement out that they are doing the right thing instead of. We are paying for it cause we have to.

I will be interested to see how much work Volkman's management does to get him a new contract. Do they come back to him in 6 months to a year and say there isn't much out there as your out of sight out of mind. A lot of players move on to new management. if there was a strong case for the player being justified in moving on. This would be a good example.

I'm stoked were agreeing to do this, imo I don't think we're at fault. All of this could have been avoided if RVs manager and the Dragons did the right thing and follow the correct processes. If that happened RV would still be with us and we'd be forced to pay.

However, those 2 party's shit the bed and we let RV know we're here and happy to cover costs. It shows that we give a shit about player welfare and have done the right thing by 21 year old Ronnie (unless we found out we were liable behind the scenes and decided to cover our arse).

I think some players will take note that the Warriors are a team who actually give a shit....hope it helps us down the track

I'm stoked were agreeing to do this, imo I don't think we're at fault. All of this could have been avoided if RVs manager and the Dragons did the right thing and follow the correct processes. If that happened RV would still be with us and we'd be forced to pay.

However, those 2 party's shit the bed and we let RV know we're here and happy to cover costs. It shows that we give a shit about player welfare and have done the right thing by 21 year old Ronnie (unless we found out we were liable behind the scenes and decided to cover our arse).

I think some players will take note that the Warriors are a team who actually give a shit....hope it helps us down the track
Plus if reports are true that we got a transfer fee from the Sharks for AFB then we had a bit of discretionary budget for an expense such as this. Good timing for Ronald if that is true.

NRL 2024: Warriors to house Ronald Volkman, pay for surgery after Dragons axing | Daily Telegraph​

New Zealand Warriors CEO Cameron George has welcomed any further probing into the Ronald Volkman contract saga after the club agreed to pay for the youngster’s surgery.
Volkman will travel to New Zealand in the coming days where he will undergo surgery on the shoulder injury which scuttled his one-year deal with St George Illawarra in 2024.

George told this masthead that covering the costs of his treatment and rehabilitation was the ‘right thing to do.’

“I’m not here looking at the circumstances, the NRL, the RLPA are looking at that. Our front door is open for them to come and ask us questions at any time,” George said.

“But when I spoke to Andrew Webster and Andrew McFadden the other day, we all genuinely believed that Ronnie is part of our club.

“It broke my heart seeing (how it unfolded). So I spoke to our doctor and Webby and we agreed it’s the right thing to do.”

Volkman will stay in New Zealand after the surgery to recover and begin his rehabilitation, which the Warriors will also provide.

“This is someone’s son, he was part of our club. So we have offered the opportunity for him to come back and have the operation here, which we’ll cover,” George said.

“We just believe it’s the right thing to do. That’s our club, that’s what we do.

“We’ll move him into the club house for a few weeks, get him through it and back on his feet.

“We feel sorry for the unfortunate circumstance he’s in.”

Volkman was left in limbo, and without a club for 2024, when the Dragons walked away from the deal after it was discovered he required season ending shoulder surgery.

The Warriors granted Volkman a from the final two years of his deal on December 24 to link up with the Dragons.

“There was never a problem with him at the club, he was terrific. We just had too many halves at the moment and he got an opportunity to go elsewhere.” George said.

The Dragons announced the signing before the deal had been registered with the NRL.

Without a registered deal, Volkman was exposed to the risk of injury at training without the adequate health insurance protections.

When Volkman arrived in Wollongong, a medical revealed he had a shoulder injury that would sideline him long term.

It’s believed the Dragons received a medical report from the Warriors this month that said Volkman had sustained a contact injury in the middle of December.

Scans then ordered by the Dragons showed screws placed during the previous operation had been displaced.

Last week, Dragons coach Shane Flanagan conceded Volkman should have never trained until the results of their own full medical report had been received.

“We did the right thing, we got all the scans and found out he needs to have surgery. He injured himself at the Warriors,” Flanagan said.

“In all my time I’ve never had a player fail a medical.

“... The light training he did that exposed his injury should have been done behind closed doors.”

Despite the issue of Volkman’s surgery being resolved, the RLPA is likely to pursue further recourse with regards to the matter.

Gee thats old school nz attitude fixing and helping Mr Volkman
I really like the fact that George Robinson Webster enorsed this and made it happen.
Its a really human thing to do / big tick from me.
endorsed

Reactions: Ref