Politics NZ Politics

Who will get your vote in this years election?

• National

Votes: 17 26.2%
  • Labour

Votes: 13 20.0%
  • Act

Votes: 7 10.8%
  • Greens

Votes: 9 13.8%
  • NZ First

Votes: 5 7.7%
  • Māori Party

Votes: 3 4.6%
  • Other

Votes: 11 16.9%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Plot thickening

https://badnewsletter.substack.com/p/a-simple-nullity

The Atlas network influence in Australia and New Zealand

I guess we have to be careful in case in looks like a conspiracy theory.

But it is actually - more of a conspiracy to concentrate wealth, promote neoliberalism as the only way, use tobacco industry tactics to deny climate change, deny indigenous rights and ensure the right retain power.

Their mission in part is to limit democratic action

Seymour himself references his old friends the atlas network:

1703619005818.png

They will be funding Act, National and probably Nz First

https://badnewsletter.substack.com/p/a-simple-nullity

The Atlas network influence in Australia and New Zealand

I guess we have to be careful in case in looks like a conspiracy theory.

But it is actually - more of a conspiracy to concentrate wealth, promote neoliberalism as the only way, use tobacco industry tactics to deny climate change, deny indigenous rights and ensure the right retain power.

Their mission in part is to limit democratic action

Seymour himself references his old friends the atlas network:

View attachment 4805

They will be funding Act, National and probably Nz First
Sound like a lobby group. They are on the left and right.

How do we stop lobby groups? And why is spending money from one special interest group different to any other? Is it just because you don’t agree with their policies?

I would argue unions, cycle lobby groups, PETA, Greenpeace, iwi, etc have a lot bigger influence with a more public profile.

As an Example, I don’t agree with smoking lobby groups or unions being involved in politics but how do you stop them without unintended consequences and weakening democracy?

Technically if we’re paying the top 39% tax rate in NZ and then paying 15% GST when we spend it, we’re paying 54% tax on our high income here.

And if we’re buying petrol which is about half tax it’s actually about 70% tax on that dollar earned and spent!
Lol, again we have progressive tax system - No one is paying the full 39% tax rate.
Someone on $120,000 is paying an effective tax rate of 26.9%
on $150,000 it's 28.37%
on $200,000 it's 30.13%
on $500,000 it's 35%.
on $1,000,000 it's 37.23%

I hope you don't touch payroll.

How do we stop lobby groups? And why is spending money from one special interest group different to any other? Is it just because you don’t agree with their policies?

I would argue unions, cycle lobby groups, PETA, Greenpeace, iwi, etc have a lot bigger influence with a more public profile.

As an Example, I don’t agree with smoking lobby groups or unions being involved in politics but how do you stop them without unintended consequences and weakening democracy?
All those lobby groups mentioned have specific public outcomes as their driver. What is the Atlas groups driver?

What do you believe Labour's end game of this Taxation Principles Reporting Act would have been and what would likely happen as a result of it??
Admittedly I haven't read it and only seen articles about it but from my little knowledge it seems to bring more data about the way we are taxed or the "fairness" of it into the public eye, surely that is a good thing unless you have something to hide or want to obscure the impact of what you are doing.

Much much more than a lobby group. And they themselves have huge amounts of dark funding flowing in.

And enough with the equal left and right kaka wiz - complete false equivalence.

Admittedly I haven't read it and only seen articles about it but from my little knowledge it seems to bring more data about the way we are taxed or the "fairness" of it into the public eye, surely that is a good thing unless you have something to hide or want to obscure the impact of what you are doing.
Lord, it's only "fair" if he's driving a Beamer I should have a Merc..

Much much more than a lobby group. And they themselves have huge amounts of dark funding flowing in.

And enough with the equal left and right kaka wiz - complete false equivalence.

Wonder why the freedom cookers in the antivaxx brigade aren't all over this conspiracy. The Koch brothers must be up there as cartoon villains with Klaus Schwab, surely.

Wonder why the freedom cookers in the antivaxx brigade aren't all over this conspiracy. The Koch brothers must be up there as cartoon villains with Klaus Schwab, surely.
A long term plan with a very long game, huge amounts of money pouring in from the right, corrupting and disrupting democracies everywhere all based on right and far right values OR utter fiction about climate change being fake, the UN taking over our lives by microchip injected in the vaccines and Hilary Clinton hiding groups of paedophiles.

It's a hard choice.

A long term plan with a very long game, huge amounts of money pouring in from the right, corrupting and disrupting democracies everywhere all based on right and far right values OR utter fiction about climate change being fake, the UN taking over our lives by microchip injected in the vaccines and Hilary Clinton hiding groups of paedophiles.

It's a hard choice.
Almost as if the latter are useful idiots of the former, wake up sheeple.

Are we fucked?

Atlas: *shrugs* Sure are buddy.
I’ve come to the conclusion that I feel privileged to be alive in what I believe is going to be the most defining time in human history and our future. Can’t fight it unfortunately, but go with the majority. There is no clear majority at present and left and right looks like it’s the battle presented?

I’ve come to the conclusion that I feel privileged to be alive in what I believe is going to be the most defining time in human history and our future. Can’t fight it unfortunately, but go with the majority. There is no clear majority at present and left and right looks like it’s the battle presented?
I'm sure our grandchildren/grandWhatevers will say the same thing. After complaining about the lack of progess made in COP 48.

From someone who grew up with "The World's Going To End Because Of Brezhnev and Reagan!" Which became "The World's Going To End Because A Flock Of Geese Will Be Mistaken For Nuclear Missles And Nuclear Annihilation Will Happen BY ACCIDENT!" to "Climate Change Will Kill Off Civilization in 40 Years!"

A simpler version of the above: All the talk about sportswashing ie Qatar having the 2022 World Cup etc etc. It ain't nuffin' newfangled. Mr Hitler did The Sportswash in 1936 and they reckon even one of the Ancient Greek or Egyptian Kings held a games tournament so people could get to see his evil, slaughtering ways as "just those hard choices a good man has to make sometimes."

I'm sure our grandchildren/grandWhatevers will say the same thing. After complaining about the lack of progess made in COP 48.

From someone who grew up with "The World's Going To End Because Of Brezhnev and Reagan!" Which became "The World's Going To End Because A Flock Of Geese Will Be Mistaken For Nuclear Missles And Nuclear Annihilation Will Happen BY ACCIDENT!" to "Climate Change Will Kill Off Civilization in 40 Years!"

A simpler version of the above: All the talk about sportswashing ie Qatar having the 2022 World Cup etc etc. It ain't nuffin' newfangled. Mr Hitler did The Sportswash in 1936 and they reckon even one of the Ancient Greek or Egyptian Kings held a games tournament so people could get to see his evil, slaughtering ways as "just those hard choices a good man has to make sometimes."
Probably right, I just mean in the sense of so many issues that perhaps weren’t there in previous generations with the world much more intertwined than ever before. Before my eyes though I recognise inequality, social divide, climate challenges, simmering worldwide fallout, infrastructure collapse though lack of funding, misinformation easily accessible, technology advancement at speed, AI potential for negative effects. There are plenty, but you’re probably right, so we advance as do the problems to face. Not to say we haven’t progressed but at times it feels a decline.

Lord, it's only "fair" if he's driving a Beamer I should have a Merc..
I am not saying implement anything new or different, just that any subjective analysis on how we could better structure taxes shouldn't be something anybody should be afraid of. Although to be fair we probably already know what the problems are but I haven't heard a politician say it and link it back to their policies to fix it - if they did that then problem solved

Lol, again we have progressive tax system - No one is paying the full 39% tax rate.
Someone on $120,000 is paying an effective tax rate of 26.9%
on $150,000 it's 28.37%
on $200,000 it's 30.13%
on $500,000 it's 35%.
on $1,000,000 it's 37.23%

I hope you don't touch payroll.
Once you pass the threshold then every extra dollar you earn is taxed at that the highest rate in the band which is normally your disposable income.

Example - if you earn $55k and your basic expenses (mortgage, food, rates, etc) cost $48k then that $7k disposable income that you actually live on IS taxed at the full 30%. This is where inflation and indexation is hammering that are not rich and really struggling.

Example two: you are just on minimum wage $48k per year. Every hour of overtime does get taxed at 30%. So people don’t do it. A poverty trap… this is very common thinking in the real world - it’s not worth it to work extra because you get less in the hand per hour for working more…

To all my right leaning friends: Merry Christmas and a prosperous New Year!!

To all my left leaning friends: Please accept with no obligation, implied or implicit, my best wishes for a celebration of the summer solstice holiday, practiced within the traditions of the religious persuasion of your choice, whatever they may be, with respect for the religious and/or secular persuasion and/or traditions of others, or their choice not to practice religious or secular traditions at all.

I also wish you recognition of the onset of the generally accepted calendar year 2024, but not without due respect for the calendars of choice of other cultures whose contributions to society have helped make Aotearoa great. Not to imply that New Zealand is necessarily greater than any other country.

Also, this wish is made without regard to the race, creed, colour, age, physical ability, religious faith or sexual orientation of the wishee.

Once you pass the threshold then every extra dollar you earn is taxed at that the highest rate in the band which is normally your disposable income.

Example - if you earn $55k and your basic expenses (mortgage, food, rates, etc) cost $48k then that $7k disposable income that you actually live on IS taxed at the full 30%. This is where inflation and indexation is hammering that are not rich and really struggling.

Example two: you are just on minimum wage $48k per year. Every hour of overtime does get taxed at 30%. So people don’t do it. A poverty trap… this is very common thinking in the real world - it’s not worth it to work extra because you get less in the hand per hour for working more…
Rest from numbers until Jan 2

What is it with you Wiz

Did you lust to be an accountant but never got there

And yes I use to do heaps of overtime on 30 per cent tax
10 hours at 39. Is $390
Less 30 per cent is still nett $273

If my maths is right that’s still an extra $273 in my yes my pocket

Rest from numbers until Jan 2

What is it with you Wiz

Did you lust to be an accountant but never got there

And yes I use to do heaps of overtime on 30 per cent tax
10 hours at 39. Is $390
Less 30 per cent is still nett $273

If my maths is right that’s still an extra $273 in my yes my pocket
This is someone on $23 per hour. They go in for an extra half day on a Saturday. $92. Less tax = $61. Car costs, parking, childcare costs, student loan repayments, etc. End up with maybe enough to buy KFC on the way home.

The view is you end up with more in your hand in the dole per hour after work expenses.

This was the sort of conversations I have had with people in minimum wage jobs over the years 🤷‍♂️

Back