Recruitment Warriors 2024/2025 Recruitment & Retention

Warriors 2024/2025 Recruitment & Retention Discussion
key: T = Team option, M = Mutual option, P = Player option, D = Development contract

Confirmed Top 30 2024: 28/30
Confirmed Development 2024: 5/6

Confirmed Top 30 2025: 26/30
Confirmed Development 2025: 1/6

2025 Gains: James Fisher-Harris (Panthers), Jett Cleary (Panthers)
2025 Losses: Addin Fonua-Blake (Sharks)
2025 Off Contract: Shaun Johnson, Jazz Tevaga

Last edited:
Isnt SJ on a substantially lower contract than he could be elsewhere? Broncos did it for years as do many clubs whose players want to stay together for longer. I know there is a rule, not sure exactly how limiting it is though.
It's on a par with the Bulldogs offer though.

I know the auditor does take into account personal circumstances though - but halving a contract amount in JFH is ludicrous.

I think there are a couple of possibilities if the figure of $675k is correct.

1. As reported, JFH has asked for a release to move home to NZ due to family issues, wanting to raise his family at home, wanting to rep nz league and the warriors etc and agreed to take less money than currently on. Agreed that this may raise the eyebrows of the integrity unit.

2. As above, but when he contacted the warriors, they informed him of another imminent signing and said that $675k is the best they could do.

3. He is on $675k but has 3rd party deals signed as he is the current kiwis captain and there is a groundswell of support for league in nz currently.
Who is the other imminent signing?

what names are being thrown around as potential targets
Neither these 2 been thrown around but Leo Thompson signed til ‘25 would be a great foil for JFH. Were Kiwi room mates last year.
Mu other ruffy….. Josh Shuster. Sounds like no one wants him so it’s a buyers market. He’s getting a ‘buy out’ from his Manly deal, so that’ll bring his price back to the field or even below. Something like 2yrs at $300-$350k and the sales pitch being to learn and play with the best.
- play him in the 15 jersey like we do with Walker/Jazz. Just 30 mins per game to bring some flare
- learn how to train with the benchmarks like RTS, JFH, Tohu, Capewell
- play under Webbys systems away from Sydney where it would seem he’s got a bit comfortable

Now I never would’ve said Shuster before JFH came on board but the current environment is probably nearly set up perfect for a 2yr Shuster deal. He’s just 22yrs and when he came into grade, had the potential to be nearly anything. Just can’t play him at 6 tho

I was legit done after that titans game. Barely kept up with Warriors news that offseason. Didn’t really care about the Webby signing, just another hopeless fool chasing a dream that’ll never come true.

Something looked different in the 2023 trials though. Then the 2023 season rolled on.

None of us could’ve imagined the turnaround that’s happened. But we all dreamt it.

And right now it’s coming true, finally.
I was the same, that Titans game killed something deep inside of me, losing to them is the lowest you can sink as a Warriors fan, they're the only club we've got a hoodoo on. Now it feels like it was the entry to a portal where all of our wildest dreams start coming true, does losing to the Titans open up a portal of some kind? I've been drinking since I heard the news at 4 o'clock.

Last edited:
Neither these 2 been thrown around but Leo Thompson signed til ‘25 would be a great foil for JFH. Were Kiwi room mates last year.
Mu other ruffy….. Josh Shuster. Sounds like no one wants him so it’s a buyers market. He’s getting a ‘buy out’ from his Manly deal, so that’ll bring his price back to the field or even below. Something like 2yrs at $300-$350k and the sales pitch being to learn and play with the best.
- play him in the 15 jersey like we do with Walker/Jazz. Just 30 mins per game to bring some flare
- learn how to train with the benchmarks like RTS, JFH, Tohu, Capewell
- play under Webbys systems away from Sydney where it would seem he’s got a bit comfortable

Now I never would’ve said Shuster before JFH came on board but the current environment is probably nearly set up perfect for a 2yr Shuster deal. He’s just 22yrs and when he came into grade, had the potential to be nearly anything. Just can’t play him at 6 tho

I would 100% back this, but it is a risk.

It would be a good option to have if this mysterious second prop doesn't materialise.

I'm still interested in the pic of George in the ear of one of the Saifiti's post match.

Newcastle isn't Sydney but it's not far off..

On the day SJ re-signed with us I had family in town and took them to Australia Zoo for the day. It was on the way up from the Gold Coast that I received the Warriors website notification on my phone with the news.

On Saturday just gone I had different family in town and again I took them to Australia Zoo. On the way up I made the joke that I now expect a huge signing every time I head up there. To my dismay there was no signing news (and I was forced to watch the Manly game on delay once I got back home).

Fast forward ⏩ 4 days.
Better late than never.

Already buying tickets to the zoo again for this weekend to test the theory 🤞

NRL market watch: Penrith Panthers rocked as James Fisher-Harris quits club to join New Zealand Warriors​

The Panthers’ rivalry with the Tigers has taken a turn, with a Wests star emerging as the top candidate to replace James Fisher-Harris following his shock decision to join the Warriors.
Michael CarayannisMichael Carayannis
Follow

@mcarayannis

5 min read
April 17, 2024 - 5:12PM
News Corp Australia Sports Newsroom

55 comments

FOXSPORTS00:47

Another week on the sidelines for Nathan Cleary​

UP NEXT

NRL: Panthers coach Ivan Cleary says star playmaker Nathan Cleary won't be available for this weekend's clash with the Wests Tigers.

NRL

Don't miss out on the headlines from NRL. Followed categories will be added to My News.
Follow
Penrith are preparing to reignite their rivalry with the Wests Tigers as Stefano Utoikamanu emerges as their top candidate to replace James Fisher-Harris following his shock decision to quit Penrith to join the New Zealand Warriors on a four-year deal.
In a major coup for the Warriors, the Panthers have agreed to release Fisher-Harris from the final two years of his contract on compassionate grounds.
It will be a significant blow for Penrith, who will lose both Fisher-Harris and Wests Tigers-bound five-eighth Jarome Luai at season’s end.
However, the Panthers are preparing to shake up the player market with their interest of Tigers prop Utoikamanu.
James Fisher-Harris (L) signed a four-year deal with the Warriors. Picture: Jonathan Ng

James Fisher-Harris (L) signed a four-year deal with the Warriors. Picture: Jonathan Ng
Former Tigers mentor turned Blues coach Michael Maguire could hold the fate of Utoikamanu in his hands, given the unique clause in the boom front-rower’s contract.
If the Tigers make the top eight, or Utoikamanu plays two Origin matches in this year’s series, it will trigger an automatic contract extension and he will remain at the Tigers for 2025. Otherwise, he will become a marquee free agent which will prompt a bidding war for the 23-year-old’s services.
St George Illawarra, Canterbury and potentially Manly would be the teams keen to sign Utoikamanu, should he become available. Even if a contract clause is triggered that extends his stay at the Tigers for a further 12 months, from November 1 Utoikamanu will be free to talk to rivals about joining them for the 2026 season.
However, Penrith’s could now blow the market wide open with the NRL’s best club on the lookout for an elite middle forward.
Stefano Utoikamanu’s future is complex. Picture: Matt King/Getty Images

Stefano Utoikamanu’s future is complex. Picture: Matt King/Getty Images
It’s understood Melbourne’s Nelson Asofa-Solomona could also emerge on their radar.
The Tigers and the Panthers already have a bitter past given the way coach Ivan Cleary defected to Penrith, and Luai’s joining the Tigers from next year.
Fisher-Harris, 28, asked for a release earlier this week, and a deal with the Warriors, which will average out to about $1 million a season over the four years, was done within days.
It will free up around $950,000 a season in salary cap space for Penrith, which may allow them some wiggle room to improve any potential offer to off-contract winger Sunia Turuva, who has been heavily courted by St George Illawarra.

“Fish has been exceptional for the Panthers, both on and off the field,” Panthers coach Ivan Cleary said.
“The leadership and cultural impact he has displayed since coming into first grade has been outstanding. He’s evolved into one of the game’s elite players, and coaching him has been a pleasure.
“While we would have loved him to stay at the Panthers, we wish him, his partner Natalie, and children Tahira and Deon all the best for their next chapter.”
The Panthers front-row stocks have taken a hit in recent seasons with Spencer Leniu and now Fisher-Harris leaving the club. Moses Leota is contracted until the end of 2027 while rising star Lindsay Smith and Blayney Bears junior Liam Henry are locked in at the club until the end of 2026.
Andrew Webster will reunite with Fisher-Harris. Picture: Hannah Peters/Getty Images

Andrew Webster will reunite with Fisher-Harris. Picture: Hannah Peters/Getty Images
Fisher-Harris will reunite with Andrew Webster, who spent two seasons at the Panthers as an assistant coach before taking the Warriors’ top job last year, while New Zealand Test coach Stacey Jones is also on the Warriors’ staff.
Fisher-Harris replaces Cronulla-bound Addin Fonua-Blake, who cut short at his time at New Zealand for his own personal reasons.
Webster said Fisher-Harris was a marquee signing.
“It’s going to be fantastic having James with us,” Webster said. “He’s one of the game’s elite players, a super tough forward who sets and demands the highest standards.
“I loved working with him at the Panthers and we really look forward to bringing him into our system from next season. He’ll add terrific value to our roster, to the club overall and he’ll also be invaluable as a mentor for our young players coming through.”
Alongside Fonua-Blake, Fisher-Harris is largely considered the best prop in the game. Warriors boss Cameron George described it as one of the biggest signings in the club’s history.
“To be able to add a player of his calibre and standing to our squad is a tremendous boost for 2025 and beyond,” George said. “He’s such a highly-respected player and leader.”
The Kohukohu-born Fisher-Harris has played 183 top-grade games and was named Kiwis skipper last year, leading New Zealand to their Pacific Championship win against Australia.
WHY TIGERS PROP HAS BECOME NRL’S HOTTEST TOPIC
—Pamela Whaley
Penrith’s interest in Stefano Utoikamanu comes as no surprise to Wests Tigers teammate David Klemmer after the young prop became a target replacement for Warriors-bound James Fisher-Harris.
The 23-year-old Tigers gun and his unique contract clauses have suddenly become the hottest topic on the NRL market after premiership star Fisher-Harris was released from the remainder of his deal with the Panthers.
Attention quickly turned to Utoikamanu on Wednesday, who has a get-out clause in his contract if the Tigers fail to make the top eight this season, unless he plays two Origin games for NSW.
Penrith’s interest in Stefano Utoikamanu comes as no surprise to Wests Tigers teammates. Picture: Getty Images

Penrith’s interest in Stefano Utoikamanu comes as no surprise to Wests Tigers teammates. Picture: Getty Images
“(Other clubs) have to look at him. He’s a good footy player but he’s a good person as well. He’s the kind of person you want around footy clubs,” Klemmer said ahead of Saturday’s well-timed clash with the Panthers in Bathurst.
“There’s no s**t about him. He loves coming in, training hard, looking after himself physically and being a professional. He’s a good role model for guys around here too.
“He’s come into this season with a great mentality, he’s trained really hard in the pre-season and he’s reaping the benefits in this footy. He’s really stepped up this year.
“He’s got a fire in his belly and he’s a big part of this group and a big part of this club moving forward.”
Utoikamanu has long been considered a player of huge potential, but in his fourth season at the Tigers he’s showing it consistently.
He’s amassed 24 tackle breaks and 112 metres per game in five appearances so far this season.
Based on his form, Origin selection is likely this season after playing just one game for the Blues in 2023 and then overlooked for a Blues camp earlier this year.

Apparently the deal was only done this morning to bring JFH to the Warriors.

Cam George went over there, met him for a coffee, signed the papers and was on his way home.

But JFH asked the Panthers for a release on the weekend.

That's just crazy the way it worked out.

(The above was from the reporter on NRL 360.)