Recruitment Warriors 2024/2025 Recruitment & Retention

Warriors 2024/2025 Recruitment & Retention Discussion
key: T = Team option, M = Mutual option, P = Player option, D = Development contract

Confirmed Top 30 2024: 28/30
Confirmed Development 2024: 5/6

Confirmed Top 30 2025: 25/30
Confirmed Development 2025: 1/6

2025 Gains: Nil
2025 Losses: Addin Fonua-Blake (Sharks)

Last edited:
Yeah just seems kinda strange.

Young player with big wraps comes over here on a big contract for an unproven teen (300-500k) for 3 years.

Not allowed to negotiate with other teams, however asks for a release from his longer, higher wage contract with a good, upcoming team to then sign with a rabble team for probably far less money, and a one year contract?

Unless he's home sick as fuck, or he's been told he has no chance with us but who the heck is advising Volkman? He's now signed as a back up half where he will be lucky to get game time this year, and if he does, the Dragons look pretty poor so he'll be extremely lucky if he gets enough quality game time to earn a contract for 2025 worth as much as he had here....just seems baffling

He might be giving up a year in 2025, but he will get a whole lot more FG play time with them- the Dragons have got Turner, Hunt who is wanting out and will miss time with Origin, and not a whole lot else in the halves. Lomax might switch to 6, but we'll see how long that lasts, and Kyle Flanagan is going to keep transitioning to Hooker apparently.

If Hunt finally gets cut loose there is a good opportunity for him to get a trial year as the first-choice 7 in '25. If not he is back in Sydney and will have a bunch of teams at his doorstep that might take a flier on a then-23 year-old with a two 1/2 years apprenticeship under SJ and Hunt

Add homesickness, and the fact that we have added Luke Hanson for him to compete with at NSW Cup, on top of Metcalf, Chanel, Te Maire, and SJ all ahead of him in the FG pecking order, and it starts to make a bit more sense, still a bit risky, but the game's the game.

Add homesickness, and the fact that we have added Luke Hanson for him to compete with at NSW Cup, on top of Metcalf, Chanel, Te Maire, and SJ all ahead of him in the FG pecking order, and it starts to make a bit more sense, still a bit risky, but the game's the game.
Would he be ahead of CHT? Perhaps it’s CHT’s arrival back that has changed their idea. CHT been away and Volkman one of the better nsw cup prospects?

Would he be ahead of CHT? Perhaps it’s CHT’s arrival back that has changed their idea. CHT been away and Volkman one of the better nsw cup prospects?
Even before CHT arrived back at the club it was pretty obvious that Volkman wasn’t rated highly as a first grader by Webster. Despite how well we did last year, the facts are that Webster inherited a squad that wasn’t his and he’s now moving the players on that don’t fit his plans the first opportunity he gets.

I'm probably in the minority in here who's disappointed with Volkman leaving but I can understand it from his perspective of trying to find a regular gig sooner rather than later.
By all accounts he was more of a prospect in Rugby Union but the Waratahs didn't offer him anything out of school so he chose League & made an immediate impression by scoring twice & leading the Roosters to a preseason win in 2021 as an 18 year old. He couldn't nail a NSW Cup spot initially but from Round 11 wore the #7 for 4 consecutive games before the season was cancelled. 2022 rolls around & he gets another go in preseason, kicks a 40/20 & 2/2 at goal but only gets 3 NSW Cup appearances, all at #6, in the first 2 months. Then he signed for the Warriors for 2023 so the Roosters wash their hands & no longer even pick him for U21's. Just over a month later he's playing in the Warriors homecoming at Mt Smart. A little over a year later he makes his Test debut vs NZ at Eden Park.
Obviously he hasn't shown a lot in first grade but I'm in two minds as to whether it's all happened too fast for him or the past 3 seasons have set him up for a successful career.
Time will tell.

Last edited:
Even before CHT arrived back at the club it was pretty obvious that Volkman wasn’t rated highly as a first grader by Webster. Despite how well we did last year, the facts are that Webster inherited a squad that wasn’t his and he’s now moving the players on that don’t fit his plans the first opportunity he gets.
I personally think it’s CHT’s arrival back that has changed their plan, none of the halves we have look like halfbacks and solid kicking options like Volkman until CHT announced his return. on the Warriors site on the list in the squad it’s obviously not updated but still has Volkman listed as halfback but the only remaining two listed halfbacks are SJ and CHT.

I'm probably in the minority in here who's disappointed with Volkman leaving but I can understand it from his perspective of trying to find a regular gig sooner rather than later.
By all accounts he was more of a prospect in Rugby Union but the Waratahs didn't offer him anything out of school so he chose League & made an immediate impression by scoring twice & leading the Roosters to a preseason win in 2021 as an 18 year old. He couldn't nail a NSW Cup spot initially but from Round 11 wore the #7 for 4 consecutive weeks before the season was cancelled. 2022 rolls around & he gets another go in preseason, kicks a 40/20 & 2/2 at goal but only gets 3 NSW Cup appearances, all at #6, in the first 2 months. Then signs for the Warriors for 2023 so the Roosters wash their hands & no longer even pick him for U21's. Just over a month later he's playing in the Warriors homecoming at Mt Smart. A little over a year later he makes his Test debut vs NZ at Eden Park.
Obviously he hasn't shown a lot in first grade but I'm in two minds as to whether it's all happened too fast for him or the past 3 seasons has set him up for a successful career.
Time will tell.
He looks like an out and out game managing halfback that needs to brush up on his defence, but that can be said for the majority in his position.

He might be giving up a year in 2025, but he will get a whole lot more FG play time with them- the Dragons have got Turner, Hunt who is wanting out and will miss time with Origin, and not a whole lot else in the halves. Lomax might switch to 6, but we'll see how long that lasts, and Kyle Flanagan is going to keep transitioning to Hooker apparently.

That's my big what if - is he going to play enough games this year to get him a better contract that what he was on with us for 2025. Unless the Dragons are devastated with injuries I would say no way. My guess is he'll play a few games off the interchange and start less than 6 games as a half this year, which results in him signing with another Sydney club for buggar all in 2025 and all of a sudden he's a 22 year old half who has about 14 games of first grade and 4 different clubs already.

Just feel for the bloke a little, he might be missing home but if that was me I would have stayed here and tried to crack the starting team while dominating for the NSW club and earning a pretty penny. He'll look like damaged goods by the time 2025 rolls around.

From the Warriors perspective we've won huge, freed up a spot and his 3-500k while having CHT come back and be a more ready replacement at a similar/lesser price.

Volkman couldn't execute his skills under the faster line speed and subsequent time pressure of first grade.
He might come good if he can learn to do his skills at pace and learn to execute with some of the best athletes in the world sprinting at him to tackle him.

That said he did himself no favours in the final game against the dolphins and at times, I am afraid to say, did cowardly things during the 80 minutes.

While all of CHT, Metcalf, and TMM back down from no man. CHT and TMM especially so.

You can't teach attitude, you can't train it, you can't get it from experience. CHT had it at 19 for the Warriors.

CHT, TMM will both bleed for the warriors. Metcalf kind of. There was that runaway try last year where Metcalf gave up chasing and we all noticed and talked about it here afterwards. I would like to see Metcalf get a broken nose in a match and keep playing.

Volkman couldn't execute his skills under the faster line speed and subsequent time pressure of first grade.
He might come good if he can learn to do his skills at pace and learn to execute with some of the best athletes in the world sprinting at him to tackle him.

That said he did himself no favours in the final game against the dolphins and at times, I am afraid to say, did cowardly things during the 80 minutes.

While all of CHT, Metcalf, and TMM back down from no man. CHT and TMM especially so.

You can't teach attitude, you can't train it, you can't get it from experience. CHT had it at 19 for the Warriors.

CHT, TMM will both bleed for the warriors. Metcalf kind of. There was that runaway try last year where Metcalf gave up chasing and we all noticed and talked about it here afterwards. I would like to see Metcalf get a broken nose in a match and keep playing.
Thought Volkman’s try against the sharks was a gutsy one with a busted finger and ball ricocheting, although his defence was shown up in that game also. Metcalf has also shown his defence to put pressure on the side he plays on too.

My thoughts are that I like Metcalf. He has the x factor and could be a force with SJ slowing down

Nothing personal, but I think you're a poor judge of talent.

My thoughts are that I like Metcalf. He has the x factor and could be a force with SJ slowing down
12 games last year
6 tries
But only 3 try assists
His distribution skills are unacceptable for a half. Out of CHT/TMM and metcalf, Luke is the worst passer

12 games last year
6 tries
But only 3 try assists
His distribution skills are unacceptable for a half. Out of CHT/TMM and metcalf, Luke is the worst passer
What Riz said.
To explain further. He has only played a handful of FG games and is still learning his craft.
Not many halves play first grade and take control.
Experience can only be found in FG.

What Riz said.
To explain further. He has only played a handful of FG games and is still learning his craft.
Not many halves play first grade and take control.
Experience can only be found in FG.
I looked up his career NSW cup stats. My hypothesis I wanted to test was if he piled on try assists in NSW cup but not in First Grade then in time he will learn to distribute well in First grade too given time and once he is accustomed to the speed of the game in first grade.

Here are his Stats

Sea Eagles 4 games Tries 2 Try Assists 0
Jets 22 games Tries 21 Try Assists 11
Warriors NSW cup team 1 game Tries 1 Try Assists 0
Total 27 games Tries 24 Try Assists 11

24 Tries in 27 games is outrageous and you can see his strength is running
11 Try assists in 27 games is decent

So yes i agree with you, for what that is worth, that his distribution should pick up with more first grade time. I don't ever think it will become his strength though.

I looked up his career NSW cup stats. My hypothesis I wanted to test was if he piled on try assists in NSW cup but not in First Grade then in time he will learn to distribute well in First grade too given time and once he is accustomed to the speed of the game in first grade.

Here are his Stats

Sea Eagles 4 games Tries 2 Try Assists 0
Jets 22 games Tries 21 Try Assists 11
Warriors NSW cup team 1 game Tries 1 Try Assists 0
Total 27 games Tries 24 Try Assists 11

24 Tries in 27 games is outrageous and you can see his strength is running
11 Try assists in 27 games is decent

So yes i agree with you, for what that is worth, that his distribution should pick up with more first grade time. I don't ever think it will become his strength though.
Yeah mate I can see something I like with the guy.
Hopefully he can make the grade.
No guarantees in the top grade

Back