Recruitment Warriors 2024/2025 Recruitment & Retention

Warriors 2024/2025 Recruitment & Retention Discussion
key: T = Team option, M = Mutual option, P = Player option, D = Development contract

Confirmed Top 30 2024: 28/30
Confirmed Development 2024: 5/6

Confirmed Top 30 2025: 25/30
Confirmed Development 2025: 1/6

2025 Gains: Nil
2025 Losses: Addin Fonua-Blake (Sharks)

Last edited:
Capewell gives me massive Hoffmann vibes. Best years are behind him and the game demands youth and speed just slightly over experience these days. I’d rather go with RTS and the guys whose name runes with ferry in centres and Ali “let’s eat” leiutua and ford as edges and move Marata to the middle.

I think you have to consider the environment. Could you imagine the culture shock for Hoffman to go from Storm to 2017 SK Warriors!

I would love to see that same Ryan Hoffman turn up today into an actual Warriors system.

I really like this signing if it comes off. Ironically an important part of a youth / development policy is ensuring there is adequate experience and leadership for the young guys.

Capewell brings what Curran doesn't.

At the end of 2024 they're OK with it, but are very worried about letting him go immediately for a number of reasons.

Maybe just need to pull the IOU card and remind them of how exactly they got their origin fullback without having to fight with the Dolphins over him lol

Capewell is way better than Hoffman. Good pickup if we get him, guys a winner and will instil good habits on the youngsters.

I too like the signing if it comes to pass.

People too readily forget that even players like Hoffman were not bad players, the inconsistent no resilience, no clear game plan Warriors ruined the end of Hoffman's career.

Hoffman was the leading forward try scorer in the NRL when he came to us. That died right away because we were the wrong fit for structured players.

If Hoffman's Warriors were the 2023 side which is well coached with a clear game plan, lots of structure, lots of resilience, he would slot straight in.

If Capwell joins us, the key is the present, this current side, under this current coach it is a good fit.

I am sure Capwell has no end of options in the game outside the Warriors, and therefore if he comes here it will be a vote of confidence for the Warriors and Websters credibility.

I know Capwell is mature and not an explosive super star, nor is he a massive work rate guy, but he is comparable to Curran and can at least dig in when the game gets hard and handle the pace...unlike the younger guy who needs more time to age.

Last edited:
I don't know if Hoffman's a great example. Yes, very good player who did all the one percenters, put in his total effort game after game, and was a smart follower of a game plan.

However, he really did slow down to a crawl. In his last season he was trying to lead from the front, while dropping off tackles and getting beaten often. Father time well and truly got him, which was exacerbated by the fact he was never really an 'athlete' to begin with. His captain talks behind the goal posts were a hard watch after he'd been personally beaten. We wasted him in 2015 though.

He’s versatile, tough and vastly experienced. He’d definitely add something to the team. Especially if we could get him for 2024.

My only concern is that we got absolutely blitzed on the edges against the Broncos something Capewell is unlikely to change and our general lack of speed could be exposed by pace on the edges and out wide.

Still more pro’s than cons for me though.

Seems to be moving quite fast

I'd say the highest probability is here immediately

If I were the Broncos I wouldn't be paying any freight whatsoever in that scenario

I don't like the idea of signing him for 2025 but an immediate get I would consider as a Curran upgrade
I was thinking due to the time year it will likely happen quickly. He'd want to get his life organised to move across and get stuck into pre-season with a new team.

If it was in the middle of the season for the following year he could sit on it for a bit longer before making a decision.

I was thinking due to the time year it will likely happen quickly. He'd want to get his life organised to move across and get stuck into pre-season with a new team.

If it was in the middle of the season for the following year he could sit on it for a bit longer before making a decision.
Still requires the broncos to release him to get him early, there’s also this cooling period but would imagine the broncos will do it considering they’ve still got Walsh and Mam yet to commit.

New instagram footage on the Warriors site looks like TSS training and put up 15 hours ago. Is he still with the club?
nzwarriorsfaithful posted he was off to Sydney but sounded like a rumour as he was also in CHCH at the time. Haven't seen anything confirmed that he's leaving and he's on a development contract + players for Kiwis A so seemed a bit weird.

Back