General Jesbass vs LM Grammar and Spelling Derailment

HD

HD

There is no defence for preferring defense. We need to put a stop to this Yankery.

wallacenz

wallacenz

dragging up this spelling and grammar thread.

Reading a few people using are instead of our lately.. 'this is are team' is not correct, the word used should be our, 'this is our team'

¿N. ig-mah¿

¿N. ig-mah¿

dragging up this spelling and grammar thread.

Reading a few people using are instead of our lately.. 'this is are team' is not correct, the word used should be our, 'this is our team'

I can't recall exactly which user in particular is doing this, but he has done so through multiple forums, so my guess is a touch of dyslexia?

On the spelling issues, I was tought at school that the different spellings of "licence" and "license" were dictated by context, not preference, as are "practice" and "practise", but I was never aware that "defense" was even an accepted spelling option. I thought it was always "defence".

On the whole "ize" issue, I have addressed this in the past, but have not been able to shut it down on my computer. Every time I end a word with "ise" my computer changes it to "ize". I have been told it is a setting, but have been unable to find it to change. I also notice this site underlines "defence" every time I type it.

¿N. ig-mah¿

¿N. ig-mah¿

It's your browser not the site.

yeah, I meant that, but it only ever shows up on this site. And I haven't figured out how to change it. Funny thing is that I have recently changed from Explorer to Chrome and it still happens. I thought I had selected NZ English in the set up.

mrblonde

mrblonde

Don't go and change the gramma on this sight, if you arks me.

My favourite gripe with spellcheck/grammercheck/formatcheck is when Word or Excel feels it has to remind you about everything (ie all the checkmarks appear to be on by default, not off) and a little symbol pops up on the screen just as you're in the middle of typing.

It's like the constant reminder when you're entering a password - "Your Caps Lock is on! Your Caps Lock being on may cause you to enter your password incorrectly!"

Um, no, you're stupid effing reminder may cause me to enter my password incorrectly because it's just gone and made me second-guess myself about whether it was a uppercase T or lowercase t and oh shit I've run out of my three attempts!!

And of course the day your muscle memory and brain memory combine to finally remember your password, what ever system you're using the password for will pop up: "Your password has expired! Please pick a new one!"