General Jesbass vs LM Grammar and Spelling Derailment

Reaction score
Jesbass

Jesbass

NSW Cup Player
Reaction score
I think the most depressing thing about Fisiiahi was his support play. I always assumed it would be a given that he would get about 16 line breaks a game with his support play, especially with Mateo and Matulino around, however I think I can only remember one instance in the entire game when he was in a position to support, and even then he was just standing there. In his defence, I thought he looked dangerous with ball in hand, but he's definitely not the full package at the moment.

Incidently is it defense or defence. I always thought we spelt it defence, but I would definitely judge your spelling over mine. Unless your iPhone has been meddling?
Well I'm glad to hear he did offer something...seeing him jogging back while the opposition makes a line break really does my head in.

And on defence/defense...it's personal preference. I use defense because I think it has a more uniform fit with defensive. I also prefer license over licence. It's one of the very few times I'll prefer American spelling over British.

Reaction score
Lego_Man

Lego_Man

Illuminatus
Reaction score
Well I'm glad to hear he did offer something...seeing him jogging back while the opposition makes a line break really does my head in.

And on defence/defense...it's personal preference. I use defense because I think it has a more uniform fit with defensive. I also prefer license over licence. It's one of the very few times I'll prefer American spelling over British.

License and licence are 2 different words though (the first is a verb and the second is a noun). Other than that i hate American spelling - especially their Z's in realise etc.

Incidentally, i thought we were using UK English here but it's saying my spelling of "realise" is wrong...

Reaction score
Jesbass

Jesbass

NSW Cup Player
Reaction score
License and licence are 2 different words though (the first is a verb and the second is a noun). Other than that i hate American spelling - especially their Z's in realise etc.

Incidentally, i thought we were using UK English here but it's saying my spelling of "realise" is wrong...
Actually, they're both verbs, and they're both nouns.

They're like your example: realise and realize.

I can't stand the American overuse of the letter Z and underuse of the letter U.

By the way, what is "it" that is saying your spelling is wrong? Is there a spell check on the forum?

Reaction score
Lego_Man

Lego_Man

Illuminatus
Reaction score
Underlined squiggles in my post (ignored).

And im pretty sure "Licence" is purely a noun - there is no such word as "Licenced" in (correct) English.

Reaction score
Lego_Man

Lego_Man

Illuminatus
Reaction score
It's like practise/practice...

Reaction score
Jesbass

Jesbass

NSW Cup Player
Reaction score
Underlined squiggles in my post (ignored).

And im pretty sure "Licence" is purely a noun - there is no such word as "Licenced" in (correct) English.
Is that a browser feature, maybe? I don't see any squiggles.

https://dictionary.reference.com/browse/licenced?s=t

I'm not sure what you mean by "correct English". Do you mean "English English"? Because licence is English. License is American.

Reaction score
Lego_Man

Lego_Man

Illuminatus
Reaction score
I am a licensed dog owner, but also have a Driver's Licence.

No such word as "Licenced" in correct British English. Just as it would also be incorrect for me to refer to a "Driver's License".

People get mixed up and used "Licenced" because they go off the noun spelling.

Reaction score
Jesbass

Jesbass

NSW Cup Player
Reaction score
I am a licensed dog owner, but also have a Driver's Licence.

No such word as "Licenced" in correct British English. Just as it would also be incorrect for me to refer to a "Driver's License".

People get mixed up and used "Licenced" because they go off the noun spelling.
Licenced and licencing both exist, and they're both British. (As a side note, you can even use them in Scrabble, which is impressive, given it's an American game.)

The American equivalents are licensed and licensing, which I personally prefer.

Reaction score
Lego_Man

Lego_Man

Illuminatus
Reaction score
Licenced and licencing both exist, and they're both British. (As a side note, you can even use them in Scrabble, which is impressive, given it's an American game.)

The American equivalents are licensed and licensing, which I personally prefer.

You're wrong - "Licencing" simply doesnt exist except as a (potentially widespread) error. The correct way, in British English, is to refer to someone as "Licensed", not "Licenced".

I'm not going to use an online dictionary as theyre frequently incorrect and/or reinforce common corruptions/ coloquialisms, but at the risk of hypocrisy here's what Grammar Monster has to say.

https://www.grammar-monster.com/easily_confused/licence_license.htm

Reaction score
Jesbass

Jesbass

NSW Cup Player
Reaction score
You're wrong - "Licencing" simply doesnt exist except as a (potentially widespread) error. The correct way, in British English, is to refer to someone as "Licensed", not "Licenced".

I'm not going to use an online dictionary as theyre frequently incorrect and/or reinforce common corruptions/ coloquialisms, but at the risk of hypocrisy here's what Grammar Monster has to say.

https://www.grammar-monster.com/easily_confused/licence_license.htm
Lol...okay, if that's the approach you're going to take, I don't see much point.

I was referring to physical dictionaries, but anyhoo.

Government agencies use licencing, probably because we're part of the Commonwealth, and are therefore supposed to use British English. I don't like the word, so I use licensing.

At most, one could say there is discussion around it, but I can't really be bothered with absolutes. But that's just me, I guess.

I'm happy to be proven wrong if there's an authority on such things, but we've both got conflicting sources. Meh.

Actually, I'll happily concede that the dictionaries I'm using are wrong if the OED says otherwise. I don't have one nearby and the online one requires a paid subscription. Do you have one nearby?

Reaction score
Spence

Spence

Sgt. Pepper
Reaction score
This is better than a death match.

I always remember practICE is a noun because ice is a noun, so practise is the verb.

Reaction score
Jesbass

Jesbass

NSW Cup Player
Reaction score
Yes, government agencies. A quick Google search will bring up government agencies that use licencing.

I'm guessing you don't have an OED handy then? No dramas. This is the epitome of an internet argument, anyway. We're like two retarded kids trying to play dodgeball.

And Spence is our gay cheerleader.

Reaction score
Lego_Man

Lego_Man

Illuminatus
Reaction score
Yes, government agencies. A quick Google search will bring up government agencies that use licencing.

I'm guessing you don't have an OED handy then? No dramas. This is the epitome of an internet argument, anyway. We're like two retarded kids trying to play dodgeball.

And Spence is our gay cheerleader.

There's only a couple of official websites that i can find that are in NZ, and 2 of them are knuckle-dragging imbecilic sheepshagging local body organisations (South Wairarapa and "Palmy" Councils).

The other one is the Environment Risk Management Authority Hazardous Substances Page, which has inspired me to try and get an Explosives Licence.

I put those down to error.

But at least you are using the correct form. And yeah, i'm a total pedant.

Reaction score
ToiletDuck

ToiletDuck

Dr Faggot
Contributor
Reaction score
Haha this thread is so appropriately placed. NEEERRRDDDSSS!

Reaction score
Spence

Spence

Sgt. Pepper
Reaction score
Reaction score
Spence

Spence

Sgt. Pepper
Reaction score
Wow. You don't have to do any formatting, just copy and paste a youtube url into your message and it's done. Amazing.

Reaction score
Jesbass

Jesbass

NSW Cup Player
Reaction score
Haha this thread is so appropriately placed. NEEERRRDDDSSS!
Haha, I think it's LM's fight moreso than mine. It does prove that we want the forum to be elitest, though. ;)

Reaction score
Lego_Man

Lego_Man

Illuminatus
Reaction score
I'm already loving this forum 10x more than the other one, and there's only 4 people posting here.

Reaction score
PolarBob

PolarBob

Reaction score
Courtesy of the Bill Bryson Dictionary for Writers and Editors.

licence, license.

The first is a noun (fishing licence, licence to sell alcohol), the second a verb (licensed premises, licensed driver). In the US, license is used for all forms.
Collins Concise Dictionary has entries for the below.

licence or license (n)

license, -censes, -censing, - censed (vb), licensable (adj), and licenser or licensor (n).

licensee (n)

licentiate (n)

Top Bottom