Recruitment Warriors 2024/2025 Recruitment & Retention

Warriors 2024/2025 Recruitment & Retention Discussion
key: T = Team option, M = Mutual option, P = Player option, D = Development contract

Confirmed Top 30 2024: 28/30
Confirmed Development 2024: 5/6

Confirmed Top 30 2025: 25/30
Confirmed Development 2025: 1/6

2025 Gains: Nil
2025 Losses: Addin Fonua-Blake (Sharks)

Last edited:
Anyone else think Martin’s behind Metcalf and CHT for the 6 role next year
Nope, I don't. TMM's a classy player with great defence that has had a very serious injury for most of the season. Looking at how he was going very early on in the year after a good pre-season he's got first dibs on 6 alongside SJ. We're so much more creative on the LHS with him around.
Metcalf a long way behind in reading the game and defence. So far he's only got speed and a lot to learn about setting others up and creating.

Nope, I don't. TMM's a classy player with great defence that has had a very serious injury for most of the season. Looking at how he was going very early on in the year after a good pre-season he's got first dibs on 6 alongside SJ. We're so much more creative on the LHS with him around.
Metcalf a long way behind in reading the game and defence. So far he's only got speed and a lot to learn about setting others up and creating.
CHT offers better defense than TMM, better kicking game and is better at those block plays that set up the outside which CNK/DWZ has scored a million tries off this season. CHT is just an all round better player than TMM.

Honestly the key is Volkman, if he delivers on his potential then he could be one of our most important players.

After a fantastic season which was a joy to ride the wave , 2 outtakes from our loses against the Panthers and the Broncos which would ultimately determine our Grand Final credentials , - the need for another punishing forward - ideally with silky off-loading skills, and added speed and game breaking ability in the backs - namely Centre.
Questions to consider over the off season for next year,
1.Can Zion Zyon Maiu’u become that damaging forward, or will that be Tom Ale?
2.Will Leiataua and RTS be our centre pairing?

.. anyone else already looking forward to next season! 🤩

1.Can Zion Zyon Maiu’u become that damaging forward, or will that be Tom Ale?
2.Will Leiataua and RTS be our centre pairing?
1. I think both still have a lot to work on defensively. But high ceilings still. I personally think Ale has lost a step of athleticism. Ale looked unstoppable in 2021 playing QLD cup for Redcliffe in the second row. I had him pegged as potentially the cornerstone of this clubs forward pack. But since the ACL injury and then being moved to prop/middle, he hasn't looked the same. But that level is still good enough to get him 19 appearances off the bench, such is his talent level. Hopefully he continues to progress.
2. Probably to end the year. But Berry has earned the right at first crack next to RTS.

1. I think both still have a lot to work on defensively. But high ceilings still. I personally think Ale has lost a step of athleticism. Ale looked unstoppable in 2021 playing QLD cup for Redcliffe in the second row. I had him pegged as potentially the cornerstone of this clubs forward pack. But since the ACL injury and then being moved to prop/middle, he hasn't looked the same. But that level is still good enough to get him 19 appearances off the bench, such is his talent level. Hopefully he continues to progress.
2. Probably to end the year. But Berry has earned the right at first crack next to RTS.

I think Ale is just one of those players. Too good for reserves but just can't quite replicate it at the higher speed and intensity of NRL.

I think Ale is just one of those players. Too good for reserves but just can't quite replicate it at the higher speed and intensity of NRL.
I don't think thats it. He looked a level above contracted NRL players in QLD cup that year and was only 22.

Its more likely the injuries and not being as lean (so he can play minutes at prop)

I'm more talking about his movements and explosiveness, rather than how good he was against certain standards of competition

Had seen in the knights forum recently that Leo Thompson’s brother who plays rugby for Wellington, Tyrone Thompson apparently wants to give league a crack. With Leo doing so well, would love to see the Warriors throw a development contract his way.

Definitely open to Metcalf or CHT starting over Martin. But keeping Martin as first drop half reserve is an ideal scenario. He's experienced and won't be on a huge contract.
There was an interview with him at the start of the year where he said something to the effect of he came back to league to get money so that he can buy some land down south and go pig hunting etc. So i think he would be content to be a squad member and help the team where he can.

I get the feeling we might be in for a bombshell or two this off season- possibly tohu retiring, jazz to super league or Curran back to Sydney.
Just a hunch.
Could also see a couple of kiwi boys getting “homesick” after the season they have missed out on- who wouldn’t want to be part of that.
Will be interesting to watch it all unfold but wouldn't be surprised if there was a bit of movement yet.

I get the feeling we might be in for a bombshell or two this off season- possibly tohu retiring, jazz to super league or Curran back to Sydney.
Just a hunch.
Could also see a couple of kiwi boys getting “homesick” after the season they have missed out on- who wouldn’t want to be part of that.
Will be interesting to watch it all unfold but wouldn't be surprised if there was a bit of movement yet.
Tohu isn’t retiring
Jazz isn’t going to England

Tohu isn’t retiring
Jazz isn’t going to England
Agreed. Tohu is only 31 and still contracted for next year. Only potential change I can see is a permanent move into the front row and reducing his minutes to around 50 a game.

100% mate, could not agree more. As harsh as it sounds, ICE is a pea heart who does the bare minimum (sometimes not even that) and is exactly the kind of player the Warriors need to avoid going forward. We've had far too many players of that ilk over the years.
💯

Ice goes to Parra, to find inspiration and a spot on the ladder.

Then sells that for money at the tigers

The club shouldn’t need to motivate the player, and we moved on from those sorts of players a few years ago

He could be amazing at the warriors. But at the same time he could just prove to be the type of player that takes the easy option and turns up for a paycheque. I think we’d end up getting the latter

Agreed. Tohu is only 31 and still contracted for next year. Only potential change I can see is a permanent move into the front row and reducing his minutes to around 50 a game.
Tohu might be only 31. But that body of his is 67 years old right now lol. Tohu might want to play on. But at the end of the day, His body will have the last say. The guy is a true warrior to play on like he has with all his injuries. And not just to make up the numbers. Left everything on the feild.

He has Knee, Back , Hand and elbow injuries to recover from. If he decides to call it a day. Then so be it. If he plays on. It's a bonus for us.

Tohu might be only 31. But that body of his is 67 years old right now lol. Tohu might want to play on. But at the end of the day, His body will have the last say. The guy is a true warrior to play on like he has with all his injuries. And not just to make up the numbers. Left everything on the feild.

He has Knee, Back , Hand and elbow injuries to recover from. If he decides to call it a day. Then so be it. If he plays on. It's a bonus for us.
He has played at a high level with those injuries all year. What would indicate that he is not capable of doing so next year? Also those injuries have not been serious enough to keep him off the field so there is no way that he would be eligible for a medical retirement. This means that he would be walking away from the reported $950k that he is on next year

He has played at a high level with those injuries all year. What would indicate that he is not capable of doing so next year? Also those injuries have not been serious enough to keep him off the field so there is no way that he would be eligible for a medical retirement. This means that he would be walking away from the reported $950k that he is on next year
I said there's a possibility he retires. And not to discount it. And his injuries are not serious enough to keep him off the feild? Are you his body and know this as fact? Lol. He broke his hand and still played. He put his back out during one game. And soldiered on. The pain on his face and the struggle to get back to his feet says alot. He just has a high pain tolerance.

All I'm saying is, He has given so much to this club. If he decides to retire(which i hope he doesn't) Because his body is not coping. I wouldn't begrudge him of that. But hope he plays on.

I said the injuries have not been serious enough to keep him from taking the field because …….. I’m pretty sure I’ve seen him out on the field lately. Could have been Cam George though. They do look similar

I said the injuries have not been serious enough to keep him from taking the field because …….. I’m pretty sure I’ve seen him out on the field lately. Could have been Cam George though. They do look similar
Might of been Cam George in a thong and lube all over his body. Whatever you fantasize about.
Of cause Tohu played. He's the captain and lead by example. Doesn't mean his injuries were minor. Just mean his two giant balls could handle it.

Back