1. Centre
  2. Winger
Nickname
Wets
Warrior #
Warriors Debut Date
Jul 19, 2019
Warriors Debut Details
July 19 2019, Round 18 vs Cronulla-Sutherland Sharks at Westpac Stadium, Wellington, New Zealand
Warriors Years Active
  1. 2019
  2. 2020
  3. 2021
  4. 2022
  5. 2023
  6. 2024
Signed From
Wyong Roos
Rep Honours
  1. NZ Maori
Wikipedia
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Adam_Pompey
Rugby League Project
https://www.rugbyleagueproject.org/players/adam-pompey/summary.html
I expect if he wins best preseason trainer in 23 and 24 that the coaches will be forced to find him a spot.
Management 101...you cannot drop the best trainer...it sends the wrong message...but...although RTS will be the best trainer next season I think the way Pompey has developed this season he will have a place, if for nothing else as a backup goal kicker

He has too little off the mark speed to defend at center where you have cover too much space laterally. They could switch him and Montoya around but I don't know that he has enough top end speed to play wing long term either although we never get to see him get to full stride. He could surprise us. He'd need to put some size on for second row but would have the same problem at 13 that he does at center now with lateral defence. He has better football instincts than most players I reckon, he's just not an out and out athlete. He's an octopus on defence when he gets his man.

Not to be a dick but this is a myth. You can teach it.
The adage is you either have it your you don't, what they can do is train you to maximise what you have.

In England in the old days they used to have cinder tracks out the back for the players to sprint on.

Gary Freeman for one put a lot of effort into sprint training, and he was very quick.

I understand what WF92 is saying - you can be helped to make the most of what you've got - but if you ain't got it you'll never get it.
I help coach sprinting for athletics and what you say is true but it's not as simple as just being fast in general, it's how useful that speed is across an 80 minute game and what sacrifices you need to make to get that speed advantage. The biggest sacrifice is usually playing weight.

Noah Lyles won the 100 and 200 at the latest world champs but he's 5'11 and 70kgs. He's the fastest because of his power to weight ratio. It doesn't matter how fast a player is if they're not durable as is seen with all the lightweight NRL speedsters spending big chunks of the season sitting on the sideline like Pap's etc.

I always see Bolt thrown up for an excuse for not trying to improve speed if you are not genetically gifted but the public don't realise how hard that man trained to get to the top and stay there and the sacrifices he had to make. They also don't get that he could only generate that speed once a day and only after progressively building up to top speed over 10 or so 40m sprints across two hours before the actual race. He hated racing more than once in a day for that reason. That sort of speed is useless in league, Bolt would've been a poor man's Saab if he'd played the game.

If Pompey wanted to get faster to stay at centre, he'd need to drop 5kgs which in turn would make him less durable. League pre-season programmes are the killers of speed too, lots of grind and long endurance running that turns fast twitch fibres into slow twitch. Endurance training is a sprinters curse. In saying all that, long sprinters (200\400) to short middle distance runners (800\1500) and jumpers transition their speed better to league in my experience. Power sprinters not so much.

Last edited:
I help coach sprinting for athletics and what you say is true but it's not as simple as just being fast in general, it's how useful that speed is across an 80 minute game and what sacrifices you need to make to get that speed advantage. The biggest sacrifice is usually playing weight.

Noah Lyles won the 100 and 200 at the latest world champs but he's 5'11 and 70kgs. He's the fastest because of his power to weight ratio. It doesn't matter how fast a player is if they're not durable as is seen all the lightweight NRL speedsters spending big chunks of the season sitting on the sideline like Pap's etc.

I always see Bolt thrown up for an excuse for not trying to improve speed if your not genetically gifted but the public don't realise how hard that man trained to get to the top and stay there and the sacrifices he had to make. They also don't get that he could only generate that speed once a day and only after progressively building up to top speed over 10 or so 40m sprints across two hours prior before the actual race. He hated racing more than once in a day for that reason. That sort of speed is useless in league, Bolt would've been a poor man's Saab if he'd played the game.

If Pompey wanted to get faster to stay at centre, he'd need to drop 5kgs which in turn would make him less durable. League pre-season programmes are the killers of speed too, lots of grind and long endurance running that turns fast twitch fibres into slow twitch. Endurance training is a sprinters curse. In saying all that, long sprinters (200\400) to short middle distance runners (800\1500) and jumpers transition their speed better to league in my experience. Power sprinters not so much.
I learn something every day and this was my full today.

Noah Lyles won the 100 and 200 at the latest world champs but he's 5'11 and 70kgs. He's the fastest because of his power to weight ratio. It doesn't matter how fast a player is if they're not durable as is seen all the lightweight NRL speedsters spending big chunks of the season sitting on the sideline like Pap's etc.

I always see Bolt thrown up for an excuse for not trying to improve speed if your not genetically gifted but the public don't realise how hard that man trained to get to the top and stay there and the sacrifices he had to make. They also don't get that he could only generate that speed once a day and only after progressively building up to top speed over 10 or so 40m sprints across two hours prior before the actual race. He hated racing more than once in a day for that reason. That sort of speed is useless in league, Bolt would've been a poor man's Saab if he'd played the game.

This. 100%. Speed is a trainable skill, but there is obviously a ceiling. You make sacrifices to other aspects of your physical in the process. Want to get faster instantly? Drop body fat. Want to improve acceleration? Spend your time training that skill set.

This. 100%. Speed is a trainable skill, but there is obviously a ceiling. You make sacrifices to other aspects of your physical in the process. Want to get faster instantly? Drop body fat. Want to improve acceleration? Spend your time training that skill set.
And it's not as simple as just training speed to get faster for a pro athlete. Adding sprint or dedicated plyo sessions to a busy schedule usually means replacing sessions that they still need like a mobility or a strength session. I was taught that sprint and plyo sessions should always be done in isolation for maximum benefit and not mixed in with other types of training so the off season is where you have the most time to get the work done. I'm starting to rethink that as I know a nationally ranked sprinter that's training out of NZIS and they get him to lift straight after a sprint session. I'll see how this seasons results go for him before I buy into that method of training.

League club trainers subscribe to a long to short pre season program which builds an endurance base with longer, slower runs to prepare for the faster stuff whereas sprint coaches can often use a short to long method that starts at top speed on short sprints then extends the range with speed maintenance sessions leading into race season. They don't have to worry about an endurance base so why train slow. I'm a short to long coach, I hate seeing sprinters run slow. Watching them jog pisses me off completely.

Last edited:
And it's not as simple as just training speed to get faster for a pro athlete. Adding sprint or dedicated plyo sessions to a busy schedule usually means replacing sessions that they still need like a mobility or a strength session. I was taught that sprint and plyo sessions should always be done in isolation for maximum benefit and not mixed in with other types of training so the off season is where you have the most time to get the work done. I'm starting to rethink that as I know a nationally ranked sprinter that's training out of NZIS and they get him to lift straight after a sprint session. I'll see how this seasons results go for him before I buy into that method of training.

League club trainers subscribe to a long to short pre season program which builds an endurance base with longer, slower runs to prepare for the faster stuff whereas sprint coaches can often use a short to long method that starts at top speed on short sprints then extends the range with speed endurance sessions leading into race season. They don't have to worry about an endurance base so why train slow. I'm a short to long coach, I hate seeing sprinters run slow. Watching them jog pisses me off completely.
Exactly bro. It’s a thought process of, if I train this, x will get better but at the sacrifice of y. Pompey will lose his effectiveness of his Carry and physicality if he shifts his focus to pure speed. Will just need to accept that he’s not a speed machine, and he goes in on what his strengths are. Pompey is similar, doesn’t have outright speed but is strong defensively & an accurate passer of the ball.

Exactly bro. It’s a thought process of, if I train this, x will get better but at the sacrifice of y. Pompey will lose his effectiveness of his Carry and physicality if he shifts his focus to pure speed. Will just need to accept that he’s not a speed machine, and he goes in on what his strengths are. Pompey is similar, doesn’t have outright speed but is strong defensively & an accurate passer of the ball.
He'll never be a power sprinter, his body type won't allow it. Bolt never led a race out of the blocks, Saab would be lucky to get up to top speed twice in a game.

They can sharpen Adam's off the mark speed a little bit but they might get more joy out of improving his reaction times and anticipation. IMO it's his combo with Montoya that was shown up by the big guns rather than their individual deficiencies. Montoya isn't agile enough to compensate for Pompey's lack of agility. They got away with it for most the season though. Charnze's anticipation on defence stopped Cobbo when he burnt Montoya at least. It could've been a lot uglier otherwise.

He'll never be a power sprinter, his body type won't allow it. Bolt never led a race out of the blocks, Saab would be lucky to get up to top speed twice in a game.

They can sharpen Adam's off the mark speed a little bit but they might get more joy out of improving his reaction times and anticipation. IMO it's his combo with Montoya that was shown up by the big guns rather than their individual deficiencies. Montoya isn't agile enough to compensate for Pompey's lack of agility. They got away with it for most the season though. Charnze's anticipation on defence stopped Cobbo when he burnt Montoya at least. It could've been a lot uglier otherwise.
I think there's some unexplored value in analyzing your edges speed, acceleration, reaction, and agility in relation to each other.

Back