Recruitment Warriors 2024/2025 Recruitment & Retention

Warriors 2024/2025 Recruitment & Retention Discussion
key: T = Team option, M = Mutual option, P = Player option, D = Development contract

Confirmed Top 30 2024: 28/30
Confirmed Development 2024: 5/6

Confirmed Top 30 2025: 26/30
Confirmed Development 2025: 1/6

2025 Gains: James Fucking Fisher-Harris baby! (Panthers)
2025 Losses: Addin Fonua-Blake (Sharks)
2025 Off Contract: Shaun Johnson, Jazz Tevaga

Last edited:
I get what you’re saying but fords on peanuts- better to keep him and offload Curran (even though I prefer Curran).
Tbh out of the three niukore is the over payed one and would free up the most cap- but I don’t think anyone would take on his contract.
I agree. You need value in your team and those players to ideally over perform.
This offers up the ability to spend $$ marquees or X factor players.

As of November 1 Berry, Curran, Ford, Tohu, SJ, Metcalf, Tevaga, DWZ, Williame can all be approached. Wonder who will be left to negotiate with other teams and if any others might be shopped?
Sign NowEarn ExtensionLet Go
Tohu
DWZ
Berry
Curran
Metcalf
Jazz
Ford
Williame
SJ

Sign NowEarn ExtensionLet Go
Tohu
DWZ
Berry
Curran
Metcalf
Jazz
Ford
Williame
SJ

There's not much more Berry, Ford and Curran could do really, they've been great in their roles they've played for the team this year.

I do worry about Curran tho, he's now at the level where he could command a bit more money and a starting spot somewhere else. He's going to have to really believe in Webby's dream if he's going to continue to stay on as a bench player, likely on unders as to what he'd get somewhere else.

IF we're going to lose him (and I hope we don't). I'd like us to try a swap deal, and release him a year early so that we can get something out of situation.

I wouldn’t be in a rush to re-sign any of them guys tbh.
Tohu and Sj will either retire or hang round one more year- they won’t change clubs at this stage of their careers and tbh both are one decent injury away from being done.
Berry, Curran, Jazz and Ford are all easily replaceable and no one’s gonna be trying to sign them up a year in advance.
Metcalf is the one most likely to garner interest from other clubs but we still have tmm and his hammys are a bit of a worry.
Williame you’d be trying to release not extend.

Look at the impact the Reynolds transfer has had at Brisbane and Souths. The Warriors need to hold onto Johnson until the future princess has been identifed and ready to take the crown. For me, it's Volkman but he would need to play a bigger role in 1st grade next year to take over in 2025.
I wonder if they are discussing Luai as a potential halves option.

Would mean one of Metcalf, TMM, CHT, Volkman leave in 2025, and one of them becomes our 7.

Plenty of options on the table, I'm sure Webster has a plan

It will be Ford vs Curran. We won't keep both.

We've also got 5 halves and won't keep them all for 2025.

Even if SJ retires there will probably be a player left out who is offered a better opportunity in 2025. Might only keep 3 of them.

I think you find that SJ and Tohu play on a little longer than many seem to think. If the club is finally on the brink of something special then you would think that these senior players play a crucial role in stabilising the club's growth. I think even 2024 is too early to assume that the club is in a greater position to rest on the future taking over key figures in SJ and Tohu.

Sure, the injuries which both players have endured during their careers are ones to consider, and ultimately it comes down to the confidence in the players to be able to fulfil the demands on each NRL season. Sports science plays a significant role in professional sport and the advance methods and technologies around best managing sports men and woman is unbelievable.

Adam Reynolds at 33 years of age, recently stated that he would like to continue his career beyond his current deal which is until the end of 2025. Clearly he is enjoying his football and why would you want to give up your playing career if your in the right frame of mind. Sure there is always an element of risk with any player at the latter stages of their careers who wish to continue playing.

Shaun Johnson is also 33. He has just had one of his best seasons to-date. He has finally found the formula which works for him and the team. Everyone is talking about his game management which is something he needed to find in his early playing days. I don't see how 2024 would be his last season if the club is able to find a solution and balance to his workload. Clearly we require a 6 who is able to take some pressure off with kicking on the 5th, this was something which we started to see a lot of with Luke Metcalf just before he got the hamstring injury.

Daniel Saifiti on $950k per year…would need the Knights to pay a lot of that. At 120m per game it would be a no thanks from me.
Agree with that but if the knights are as desperate as the bulldogs were when we acquired DWZ with them paying half, would take him at $475k. Unlikely scenario though if multiple teams are interested.

He has played at a high level with those injuries all year. What would indicate that he is not capable of doing so next year? Also those injuries have not been serious enough to keep him off the field so there is no way that he would be eligible for a medical retirement. This means that he would be walking away from the reported $950k that he is on next year
Jeez. Mate watch the prelim final from min 20 to min 60 while watching Tohu. There's taking the field and then there's being effective.

Watch the gaping chasm between the speed that Carrigan is moving with at the 60min mark, and the pained shuffle that Tohu is moving with...

Last edited:
I wouldn’t be in a rush to re-sign any of them guys tbh.
Tohu and Sj will either retire or hang round one more year- they won’t change clubs at this stage of their careers and tbh both are one decent injury away from being done.
Berry, Curran, Jazz and Ford are all easily replaceable and no one’s gonna be trying to sign them up a year in advance.
Metcalf is the one most likely to garner interest from other clubs but we still have tmm and his hammys are a bit of a worry.
Williame you’d be trying to release not extend.
Agree, agree, and agree.

Adam Reynolds at 33 years of age, recently stated that he would like to continue his career beyond his current deal which is until the end of 2025. Clearly he is enjoying his football and why would you want to give up your playing career if your in the right frame of mind. Sure there is always an element of risk with any player at the latter stages of their careers who wish to continue playing.
Reynolds is surrounded by youth. Keep SJ but retire Tohu if thats the case.

Shaun Johnson is also 33. He has just had one of his best seasons to-date. He has finally found the formula which works for him and the team. Everyone is talking about his game management which is something he needed to find in his early playing days. I don't see how 2024 would be his last season if the club is able to find a solution and balance to his workload. Clearly we require a 6 who is able to take some pressure off with kicking on the 5th, this was something which we started to see a lot of with Luke Metcalf just before he got the hamstring injury.
We need at a minimum

2 middles
1 centre
1 winger

all with pace to be a genuine threat

Jeez. Mate watch the prelim final from min 20 to min 60 while watching Tohu. There's taking the field and then there's been effective.

Watch the gaping chasm that Carrigan is moving with at the 60min mark, and the pained shuffle that Tohu is moving with...
Yeah he did seem to struggle but then I thought he was probably the best player on the field against the Knights. Would hope that he can begin to reduce the workload next year and not have to work himself to a standstill over 80 minutes, but rather give 40-50 quality minutes