Sports Black Caps

Good toiling from the blackcaps last night. Glenn Phillips was a good call up turning the ball away from the left handers and deadly accurate, offering variety from the other 4 spinners on tour. Also good to see Jamieson back and looking a beast. He can swing it both ways and ofcourse with his height offer steep bounce. Ravindra has to wait his turn. This test team is settled and play well together. He is only young so will be valuable experience even being in the squad. Test cricket is based on grit and character. Ton for Williamson and blackcaps win my prediction!

Nicholls is only half decent if he's batting at home. Atrocious away from home.

Is Larsen still head selector? I've heard (admittedly from family of an ex player, who got a few chances but then got thrown on the trash heap) that he has favourites, and a few players over the years that deserved to be dropped but havnt been.
Some of it is a lack of better options but yeah, there are definitely favourites too

You can't leave Latham out. Nicholls should make way for Rachin.
Had Nicholls not made that 200 - regardless of how he got there its runs on the board - it is highly likely that Ravindra would have been playing this test. If Nicholls doesn't kick on in the second innings if required it will be interesting to see what the selectors do.

The biggest worry is that if we don't take a lead in the innings its going to be an extremely difficult fourth innings chase. Williamson was lucky just then!

Where are you guys watching it?

I like that it is hard to lose your place. This was one of the strategies implemented a few years ago to allow players to find their feet without an axe hanging overhead ala the Aussie teams of the 90s. I think it has been a good strategy overall.

That said, Nicholls has not looked solid for some time (even his big scores). He does have domestic form though. His batting average has dropped enormously (50s to 30s) in the last couple of years. Ironically, I think he still has a lot to offer at ODI level rather than tests.

Sodhi let another opportunity slip in the first innings. High economy is okay for a leg spinner if the wickets are falling, but he doesn't take enough of them.

Back