Inruin

Contributor
"Limited overs bowler only I'm afraid. "

Lockie Ferguson has 161 FC wickets at an SR of 44
He has 133 List A wickets
List A includes ODIs in case you were unsure
He has more red ball wickets in his career than 50 over white ball wickets
I think you are dead wrong.
He will be lucky to play another test. We could definitely use a 150km + bowler to give us a point of difference to our attack and to hurry up batsmen. If he was good enough he would be in the team but the reality is that there are bowlers who offer more. The fact he has only managed one test tells me the selectors have a similar opinion.

Ever Hopeful

Ever Hopeful

Contributor
Matt Henry has always been good in friendly conditions. As well as he bowled today, I'd prefer someone who has more to offer in all conditions. In Australia he will still be the medium pacer that bowls too full and gun barrel straight. He has no penetration in those conditions. If we don't develop other bowlers now, we will have a very hard time in a couple of years.

South Africa are undoubtedly in a transition period, but their bowlers are great (with a couple of good-uns missing) and Elgar is a dogged and reliable opener, and Van der Dussen is quality.

Reactions: Inruin
Wrighty

Wrighty

Would love nothing more then to see the red ball zip around that 150 mark
He will be lucky to play another test. We could definitely use a 150km + bowler to give us a point of difference to our attack and to hurry up batsmen. If he was good enough he would be in the team but the reality is that there are bowlers who offer more. The fact he has only managed one test tells me the selectors have a similar opinion.

Sorry for double quote.

Yes agree with your points on the whole.

He will never play a test again as he proved unreliable. We need bowlers who are extremely resilient. Boult Wagner and Tim always always always last 5 days. Even Lockies FC career has been offset by occassional injury if I recall correctly.

Wrighty

Wrighty

The other point to make in terms of sucession planning is patience.

Tim has 300 test wickets. So does Trent.
Only Daniel and Richard Hadlee have more wickets than Tim and Trent.
We could be waiting a while before bowlers as good as Tim and Trent come along again and that is ok.
Enjoy the wave while we are on it.
We won the test championship and they can never take that away from us.

Miket12

Miket12

Has anyone else noticed that the highest scoring South African born player represents NZ? Talk about rubbing the salt in the wound!!

• Haha
Reactions: wizards rage
Inruin

Inruin

Contributor
Has anyone else noticed that the highest scoring South African born player represents NZ? Talk about rubbing the salt in the wound!!
someone was saying that they hoped Nichols had gotten out last night and Wagner came in to bat with Conway. Would mean the only New Zealander on the field would be the umpire!

Inruin

Inruin

Contributor
Wagner may have taken the game completely away from SA. They needed quick wickets this morning and they couldn't break through and the night watchman smoked 49 runs instead.

Orifice

Orifice

Well done Nicholls, but for the life of me I don't understand why his position in this test team is always up for debate! What more does he have to do to prove he's got it at this level!!!

Also! He's always had to Bat with all rounders and lower order batters and bowlers a big chunk of the time. The 70 odd he picked up against Bangladesh earlier this summer would of been a ton if he had been batting with players that wanted to hang around with him. Good to see he's had Mitchell and now blundell trying to Bat with him.

Inruin

Inruin

Contributor
Well done Nicholls, but for the life of me I don't understand why his position in this test team is always up for debate! What more does he have to do to prove he's got it at this level!!!

Also! He's always had to Bat with all rounders and lower order batters and bowlers a big chunk of the time. The 70 odd he picked up against Bangladesh earlier this summer would of been a ton if he had been batting with players that wanted to hang around with him. Good to see he's had Mitchell and now blundell trying to Bat with him.
it always concerns me the number of times he gets dropped in a lot of his innings.....

wizards rage

wizards rage

Southern used to be almost an all rounder many years ago. Does look like he want to be out there now rather than technique.

Orifice

Orifice

Yeah I agree they need to sort the tail end out! I understand the senior thing but Henry is clearly a better batter. Awesome to see blundell in the runs, I would guess he's now booked his ticket to England in June with that knock.