General Black Caps...

Reaction score
warriors55

warriors55

1st Grade Fringe
Reaction score
Thanks for your response warriors55
Given your background and passion think you would enjoy double following both this cricket thread and the forum I Follow

Suspect I am a bit older. The first fine I watched was the underarm game.

I told my mother I wanted to play and that was that.

I am impressed you cracked the first eleven in 4th form
I didn’t properly make it until 6th form but had been a part of the greater 1st eleven and 2nd eleven squad since much earlier.
I was a dedicated trainer and based on other kids quitting to party and surf and skateboard I made the Hamilton Under 18s
I then faced a crossroads of pursuing cricket or trying to fix my failing grades and studying to ensure I got into university.
The kids who played had doors opened for them eg lower level league cricket in England with a wage to play as well as top level coaching.

I played 25 more years of club cricket including time in a premier division in an associate country while I lived overseas.

I was a batsman

I finished with 3 centuries and about 30 to 40 fifties
Due to over constraints most times only had time for 50s

Cricket is s cruel game and have several memories of times the game depending on me to bring home and failing and it is also delightful as have memories of close last ball victories against arch rival teams of sledging Australians.

I want to find a way to give back to cricket and wish I was a cricket coach for 3rd to 4th formers
Cricket requires kids to self coach themselves and I think that is wrong

Want to show the kids things I wish I had been shown.

I think I will limit my response there in terms of length
I can definitely understand that the underarm game would have motivated you to play cricket. I actually used to wear a beige cricket t-shirt around Perth that had a picture of the underarm incident and a caption "It's just not cricket"

Sounds like you are very passionate about the game and 25 years of club cricket is a huge achievement!

I think I got a bit lucky in that my first X1 needed one player (batsmen) towards the end of form 4 and I happened to be the best batsmen from the 2nd X1. Then I just stayed in the team from then on. Our first X1 team was really strong in form 4 and 5. However in form 6 and 7 most of our good players had left and we were absolutely terrible. All the players I had played with in form 3 and 4 (when we won the comp) had dropped out. When I was in form 6 I was the only form 6 or 7 in the team.
That's when I started having back/shoulder problems and could only field in slip as I couldn't throw the ball at all. Affected my batting as well.

Never scored a hundred but scored a lot of 40 & 50's in college. Our batting lineup was so weak in form 6 & 7 that I became completely defensive as if our top 3 were dismissed we would collapse every time. My scores decreased a lot during that time. Then I played 1 season of senior social club cricket and had to give the game away. Never lost the passion for it though.

You are right that cricket can be a cruel game. The world cup final is a great example of that.
It is great that you want to give back to the game. Coaching quality at that level can be very low. I never had any proper coaching on technique or anything like that. I'm sure you would have a lot of knowledge to share.

I'm lucky that I can stay involved through my daughters team. There are some great female players coming through the ranks. In another 5-10 years we are going to have a really strong national women's team I think. The issue is how many of them stick with the game as they get to the age when they start working and having social lives etc.

Reaction score
wrighty

wrighty

1st Grade Fringe
Reaction score
Our batting lineup was so weak in form 6 & 7 that I became completely defensive as if our top 3 were dismissed we would collapse every time.
I know the feeling.

You really need to bat positively to stay on top of the bowlers. If you bat defensively you will build their confidence,

It is hard though to bat positively in a team that was bowled out for 36 last week.

I played on plenty of teams where I faced the same problem as you did.

The loss of the ODI world cup was hard to swallow. And it took me sometime to recover. There was one point where I felt like never watching a game again.

Reaction score
warriors55

warriors55

1st Grade Fringe
Reaction score
I know the feeling.

You really need to bat positively to stay on top of the bowlers. If you bat defensively you will build their confidence,

It is hard though to bat positively in a team that was bowled out for 36 last week.

I played on plenty of teams where I faced the same problem as you did.

The loss of the ODI world cup was hard to swallow. And it took me sometime to recover. There was one point where I felt like never watching a game again.
Definitely agree about having to bat positive even if you have no faith in the middle order. Is hard to get out of that negative mindset though.

I'm with you there. The World Cup final broke me. I have never felt so depressed in my life. I had to take a complete break from watching any sport for a while. But time heals most things eventually. I became too invested in the tournament and thought about nothing else for the month or so it was on. I've promised myself I wont do that again.

I've spent the past couple of days watching my daughter playing in the U17 T20 Auckland District Tournament. Am happy to say that they won the final by 3 wickets which came down to the last over. Nearly gave me a heart attack watching it!
Unfortunately, I think that a lot of the girls are getting to the stage where they are starting to lose interest and want to focus on other areas of their life but there is a lot of talent there for sure.

I'm looking forward to the T20 series against India. I will attend one of the games at Eden Park. Our pace bowling attack is a little weak without Boult and Ferguson but still not looking too bad.

Reaction score
wrighty

wrighty

1st Grade Fringe
Reaction score
Definitely agree about having to bat positive even if you have no faith in the middle order. Is hard to get out of that negative mindset though.

I'm with you there. The World Cup final broke me. I have never felt so depressed in my life. I had to take a complete break from watching any sport for a while. But time heals most things eventually. I became too invested in the tournament and thought about nothing else for the month or so it was on. I've promised myself I wont do that again.

I've spent the past couple of days watching my daughter playing in the U17 T20 Auckland District Tournament. Am happy to say that they won the final by 3 wickets which came down to the last over. Nearly gave me a heart attack watching it!
Unfortunately, I think that a lot of the girls are getting to the stage where they are starting to lose interest and want to focus on other areas of their life but there is a lot of talent there for sure.

I'm looking forward to the T20 series against India. I will attend one of the games at Eden Park. Our pace bowling attack is a little weak without Boult and Ferguson but still not looking too bad.
I felt it was like a death in the family. I messaged everyone at work and told them to please be kind to me and leave me alone that day in my cubicle to myself. Unfortunately my team are largely very helpful women, and they spent all day trying to cheer me up which made matters worse. E.g, they cut newspaper articles out of the herald describing how we should all move on quickly from our loss and giving it to me to read "to help me recover".
As a male I wanted to be left alone to recover. I had no interest in cricket for the next 2-3 months and at one point thought I could never care about the game again.

I was very angry at England and felt as a blackcaps fan that they should have voluntarily offered to share the world cup with us.

What consoled me were three things:

1) An interview with trent boult where he said the players were devastated. He said he would be taking his pet dog for many walks along the beach in Tauranga and the dog would just have to put up with it. Trent said some of them would never be over it. And the fact the players matched my misery made it somehow better. I don't know why that dynamic ocurred but I felt validated by the fact they were miserable as well.

2) An interview with Lockie Ferguson where he said that the team had been lucky to make the final. We were the 4th placed finalist and some of our victories in group play could have gone either way so we had our run of good luck earlier. Somehow that explanation of only so much good luck to go around made sense to me as a fan.

3) Time. Slowly and slowly it healed.

I can understand Warriors55 why you probably don't want to take me up my offer to join the other cricket forum I mentioned as in about another two years we will begin the build up to 2023 world cup. And when it arrives we will live it intensely.

I am prepared to put myself through the pain again that year largely because of Rachin Ravindra. If he plays we are a chance to win. It is in India and he would give us a spin bowling all round option in our top order of batsman. That would be incredible for team balance and really help us. To win in India we will need three spinners. And he will help us slip in a third.

He is about as good as Yuvraj Singh's spin bowling. ie it is decent enough for ten overs at international level.

I also will put myself through it again because I feel 2023 is our last chance for a very long time. IE perhaps another 20 - 40 years. And if we win it will be so sweet after what happened in 2019.

Kane Williamson is a batsman like we have never had before and next time will be his last hurrah most likely. Ross is talking about playing if his form holds. We will be seeing the end of a generation of players.

At this stage I am thinking randomly guessing a team like this

1 Will Young
2 Rachin - spin option
3 Kane
4 Conway - keeper
5 Ross or Henry Nicholls or Finn Allen
6 Jimmy Neesham - seam up option
7 Katene Clarke - or Nathan Smith - Seam bowling batsman
8 McConchie or Rippon or Nofal - spin all rounder
9 Ben Sears or Lockie Ferguson - raw pace
10 Trent Boult - pace
11 Ish Sodhi - Spin option

Reaction score
warriors55

warriors55

1st Grade Fringe
Reaction score
I felt it was like a death in the family. I messaged everyone at work and told them to please be kind to me and leave me alone that day in my cubicle to myself. Unfortunately my team are largely very helpful women, and they spent all day trying to cheer me up which made matters worse. E.g, they cut newspaper articles out of the herald describing how we should all move on quickly from our loss and giving it to me to read "to help me recover".
As a male I wanted to be left alone to recover. I had no interest in cricket for the next 2-3 months and at one point thought I could never care about the game again.

I was very angry at England and felt as a blackcaps fan that they should have voluntarily offered to share the world cup with us.

What consoled me were three things:

1) An interview with trent boult where he said the players were devastated. He said he would be taking his pet dog for many walks along the beach in Tauranga and the dog would just have to put up with it. Trent said some of them would never be over it. And the fact the players matched my misery made it somehow better. I don't know why that dynamic ocurred but I felt validated by the fact they were miserable as well.

2) An interview with Lockie Ferguson where he said that the team had been lucky to make the final. We were the 4th placed finalist and some of our victories in group play could have gone either way so we had our run of good luck earlier. Somehow that explanation of only so much good luck to go around made sense to me as a fan.

3) Time. Slowly and slowly it healed.

I can understand Warriors55 why you probably don't want to take me up my offer to join the other cricket forum I mentioned as in about another two years we will begin the build up to 2023 world cup. And when it arrives we will live it intensely.

I am prepared to put myself through the pain again that year largely because of Rachin Ravindra. If he plays we are a chance to win. It is in India and he would give us a spin bowling all round option in our top order of batsman. That would be incredible for team balance and really help us. To win in India we will need three spinners. And he will help us slip in a third.

He is about as good as Yuvraj Singh's spin bowling. ie it is decent enough for ten overs at international level.

I also will put myself through it again because I feel 2023 is our last chance for a very long time. IE perhaps another 20 - 40 years. And if we win it will be so sweet after what happened in 2019.

Kane Williamson is a batsman like we have never had before and next time will be his last hurrah most likely. Ross is talking about playing if his form holds. We will be seeing the end of a generation of players.

At this stage I am thinking randomly guessing a team like this

1 Will Young
2 Rachin - spin option
3 Kane
4 Conway - keeper
5 Ross or Henry Nicholls or Finn Allen
6 Jimmy Neesham - seam up option
7 Katene Clarke - or Nathan Smith - Seam bowling batsman
8 McConchie or Rippon or Nofal - spin all rounder
9 Ben Sears or Lockie Ferguson - raw pace
10 Trent Boult - pace
11 Ish Sodhi - Spin option
I'm glad to hear someone else felt similar to me about what happened in that final. I didn't feel like eating, nothing interested me any more. I had to avoid watching any news sites, listening to certain music which I had been listening to during the tournament etc. I felt so bad for the guys in the team who deserved that win. Cricket would have become even more popular with the young kids in NZ. It would have been amazing for the game here.
After about a month I watched the highlights of the final and the feelings all came back. Even though I wanted to completely avoid cricket I had to take my daughter to her pre season training and that actually helped me get over it. I was then able to slowly enjoy sport and cricket again.

I will definitely join your forum in the near future and look forward to discussing cricket with other passionate NZ fans.

Here would be my team for 2019. It is a very ageing team though. Most players over 30.

1. Guptill (I am biased as he is my favorite player but I think he can still be performing in limited overs cricket at 36). We need his big hitting as a point of difference at the top.
2. Young
3. Williamson (c)
4. Taylor - He will be 39 but I am still backing him. After his horrible LBW decision in the final (which actually had a huge impact on the result) he will still have the fire in his belly)
5. Conway (Has to be there but I wouldn't have him keeping)
6. Phillips (k) (The logical choice in my opinion) Hope we start selecting him in T20's as well instead of Siefert.
7. Neesham
8. Santner
9. Jamieson (He will be an important all rounder for us in the next couple of seasons)
10. Boult
11. Ferguson

In India though we may want to use both Santner and Sodhi. Therefore Neesham or Jamieson would drop out.

Realistically the top 7 probably will look more like this.

1. Ravindra (Don't know much about him but seems to score at a quick rate)
2. Young
3. Williamson (c)
4. Conway
5. Nicholls
6. Phillips (k)
7. Neesham

Impossible to tell which young players will kick on in the next couple of seasons though.

Reaction score
wrighty

wrighty

1st Grade Fringe
Reaction score
I'm glad to hear someone else felt similar to me about what happened in that final. I didn't feel like eating, nothing interested me any more. I had to avoid watching any news sites, listening to certain music which I had been listening to during the tournament etc. I felt so bad for the guys in the team who deserved that win. Cricket would have become even more popular with the young kids in NZ. It would have been amazing for the game here.
After about a month I watched the highlights of the final and the feelings all came back. Even though I wanted to completely avoid cricket I had to take my daughter to her pre season training and that actually helped me get over it. I was then able to slowly enjoy sport and cricket again.

I will definitely join your forum in the near future and look forward to discussing cricket with other passionate NZ fans.

Here would be my team for 2019. It is a very ageing team though. Most players over 30.

1. Guptill (I am biased as he is my favorite player but I think he can still be performing in limited overs cricket at 36). We need his big hitting as a point of difference at the top.
2. Young
3. Williamson (c)
4. Taylor - He will be 39 but I am still backing him. After his horrible LBW decision in the final (which actually had a huge impact on the result) he will still have the fire in his belly)
5. Conway (Has to be there but I wouldn't have him keeping)
6. Phillips (k) (The logical choice in my opinion) Hope we start selecting him in T20's as well instead of Siefert.
7. Neesham
8. Santner
9. Jamieson (He will be an important all rounder for us in the next couple of seasons)
10. Boult
11. Ferguson

In India though we may want to use both Santner and Sodhi. Therefore Neesham or Jamieson would drop out.

Realistically the top 7 probably will look more like this.

1. Ravindra (Don't know much about him but seems to score at a quick rate)
2. Young
3. Williamson (c)
4. Conway
5. Nicholls
6. Phillips (k)
7. Neesham

Impossible to tell which young players will kick on in the next couple of seasons though.
I am done with Santner - I don't care that he has shown signs of promise and is a gun white ball bowler. The only way I am prepared to countenance him being sustained in the team is if his batting improves and he can compete for an all rounder position with Nofal, Rippon and McConchie

I also hated him for ducking the last ball of the fifty overs against Archer and not trying to run a bye. Why duck the last ball of the inning, Or duck any delivery in the last over of the inning. Or in fact any delivery in the last 5 overs.

And yes the extra runs we lost off the last ball would have been useful.

Reaction score
warriors55

warriors55

1st Grade Fringe
Reaction score
I am done with Santner - I don't care that he has shown signs of promise and is a gun white ball bowler. The only way I am prepared to countenance him being sustained in the team is if his batting improves and he can compete for an all rounder position with Nofal, Rippon and McConchie

I also hated him for ducking the last ball of the fifty overs against Archer and not trying to run a bye. Why duck the last ball of the inning, Or duck any delivery in the last over of the inning. Or in fact any delivery in the last 5 overs.

And yes the extra runs we lost off the last ball would have been useful.
I am done with him in red ball cricket but white ball cricket I wouldn't give up on him just yet. Economy rate under 5 in ODI cricket and even though he doesn't take a lot of wickets can create scoreboard pressure.

Agree with you about ducking that last ball. Makes no sense other than he was afraid of Archers pace but was ridiculous.

But you know what really cost us towards the end of our batting innings. CDG. After he got hit by Archer his scoring rate slowed right down when we needed him to up the rate. Infuriated me at the time. I remember my daughter said it's not his fault he is just afraid of getting hit again. But at this level, to me it was inexcusable.

Santner is not great when he is the only spinner but partnered with a wicket taking spinner like Sodhi in T20's he becomes a huge asset. His fielding is also of a very high standard.

His batting is good enough for a #8 but not as a #7 and that's where the issue is for me as well.

Reaction score
wrighty

wrighty

1st Grade Fringe
Reaction score
but white ball cricket I wouldn't give up on him just yet. Economy rate under 5 in ODI cricket and even though he doesn't take a lot of wickets can create scoreboard pressure.
What would you rather have
a) Santner 10 overs none for 44
b) Or spin Bowler X 10 overs 1 for 54

I used to be in camp A.
We duked this out on our message board. I can't remember which side won but I started in camp A and switched to camp B by the end.

Here is a crude but fascinating analysis taken from statsguru over the past 4 years of ODIs for the blackcaps:

overall
59​
matches
with
430​
wickets
santner
31.79​
average
36.2​
sr
5.26​
econ
13672​
runs
231.73​
runs/match
7.29​
wkts/match
overall
11​
matches
without
92​
wickets
santner
28.81​
average
32.3​
sr
5.34​
econ
2651​
runs
241​
runs/match
8.36​
wkts/match

According to this study:
1) In matches where Santner played one less wicket was taken each inning we bowled (8.36 vs 7.29). Therefore the evidence doesn't support the idea his scoreboard pressure created wickets.

2) In matches where he played we conceeded 10 less runs per match (241 vs 231.73)

3) This would suggest that Santners economy was really handy and they ended up scoring less runs because of it - and on days where he didn't play although we took one extra wicket we often didn't run through the opposition team and bowl them out.

4) We won 33 out of 59 with Santner playing = 56% and we won 8 out of 11 = 73% - however some of these matches were vs SL.

Conclusion - Would you rather have a teams an average of 8 down for 240 or 7 down for 230
Pity we can't look at standard deviations.

Reaction score
warriors55

warriors55

1st Grade Fringe
Reaction score
What would you rather have
a) Santner 10 overs none for 44
b) Or spin Bowler X 10 overs 1 for 54

I used to be in camp A.
We duked this out on our message board. I can't remember which side won but I started in camp A and switched to camp B by the end.

Here is a crude but fascinating analysis taken from statsguru over the past 4 years of ODIs for the blackcaps:

overall
59​
matches
with
430​
wickets
santner
31.79​
average
36.2​
sr
5.26​
econ
13672​
runs
231.73​
runs/match
7.29​
wkts/match
overall
11​
matches
without
92​
wickets
santner
28.81​
average
32.3​
sr
5.34​
econ
2651​
runs
241​
runs/match
8.36​
wkts/match

According to this study:
1) In matches where Santner played one less wicket was taken each inning we bowled (8.36 vs 7.29). Therefore the evidence doesn't support the idea his scoreboard pressure created wickets.

2) In matches where he played we conceeded 10 less runs per match (241 vs 231.73)

3) This would suggest that Santners economy was really handy and they ended up scoring less runs because of it - and on days where he didn't play although we took one extra wicket we often didn't run through the opposition team and bowl them out.

4) We won 33 out of 59 with Santner playing = 56% and we won 8 out of 11 = 73% - however some of these matches were vs SL.

Conclusion - Would you rather have a teams an average of 8 down for 240 or 7 down for 230
Pity we can't look at standard deviations.
Thanks for the stats Wrighty. Very interesting reading.

In my opinion whichever option makes the opposition score less runs is the best option. I would prefer the opposition getting 240 for 2 after 50 overs rather than 260 for 9 after 50 overs.

But to get the full picture we also need to take into account how many runs we scored with Santner in the team compared to without. Is his extra batting ability a big factor or not?

What do you think about Foxcroft? List A batting average is 36 SR 83. T20 average 42 SR 130. Seems like he started off as a bowling all rounder but has become a batting all rounder.

Reaction score
wrighty

wrighty

1st Grade Fringe
Reaction score
Thanks for the stats Wrighty. Very interesting reading.

In my opinion whichever option makes the opposition score less runs is the best option. I would prefer the opposition getting 240 for 2 after 50 overs rather than 260 for 9 after 50 overs.

But to get the full picture we also need to take into account how many runs we scored with Santner in the team compared to without. Is his extra batting ability a big factor or not?

What do you think about Foxcroft? List A batting average is 36 SR 83. T20 average 42 SR 130. Seems like he started off as a bowling all rounder but has become a batting all rounder.
Foxcroft to the best of the my knowledge has always been a batting allrounder. He played for the South Africa Under 19s but sort of as a fringe player and only got two games in that tournament. When he played he opened the batting and bowled a bit.
I think Foxcroft is a work in progress and we will know how good he is next year. Needs the rest of this year to continue his development.

List A batting averages of 35 and 36 don't impress me for front line batsman. Let me rephrase that. They impress me but not wow me into thinking they are blackcaps material. Just south of 40 wows me.

"In my opinion whichever option makes the opposition score less runs is the best option. I would prefer the opposition getting 240 for 2 after 50 overs rather than 260 for 9 after 50 overs."

I think in this case i would rather have the team that achieves 260 for 9. Because it means it most cases I am bowling teams out and making sure their set batsman aren't at the crease in the last 5 overs to set a 340 plus target.

I would just ask my batsman to get good at chasing down scores of 265-270

The case of Santner was 230 for 7 vs 240 for 8 so the contrast was less stark. Does it really matter that you are one more wicket into the tail? Hard call. I can't explain my logic but I would be tempted to take 240 for 8 over 230 for 7 as counter intuitive as that sounds.

Reaction score
warriors55

warriors55

1st Grade Fringe
Reaction score
Foxcroft to the best of the my knowledge has always been a batting allrounder. He played for the South Africa Under 19s but sort of as a fringe player and only got two games in that tournament. When he played he opened the batting and bowled a bit.
I think Foxcroft is a work in progress and we will know how good he is next year. Needs the rest of this year to continue his development.

List A batting averages of 35 and 36 don't impress me for front line batsman. Let me rephrase that. They impress me but not wow me into thinking they are blackcaps material. Just south of 40 wows me.

"In my opinion whichever option makes the opposition score less runs is the best option. I would prefer the opposition getting 240 for 2 after 50 overs rather than 260 for 9 after 50 overs."

I think in this case i would rather have the team that achieves 260 for 9. Because it means it most cases I am bowling teams out and making sure their set batsman aren't at the crease in the last 5 overs to set a 340 plus target.

I would just ask my batsman to get good at chasing down scores of 265-270

The case of Santner was 230 for 7 vs 240 for 8 so the contrast was less stark. Does it really matter that you are one more wicket into the tail? Hard call. I can't explain my logic but I would be tempted to take 240 for 8 over 230 for 7 as counter intuitive as that sounds.
The issue with the 260-270 for 9 is that often the 9 comes from late wickets which doesn't do a lot of damage to the overall total. But I agree that taking wickets are essential to reduce the scoring rate. And these days no team is going to score 240 for 2. 300 would be minimum for 2 wickets down which makes me lean towards your preference of taking wickets.

I am very interested to see how Foxcroft develops and hopefully he can push his List A average above 40. An average of 40 in T20 cricket is pretty elite though. He is still very young so plenty of time to develop.

Santner is a slightly inferior version of Vettori in white ball cricket. Both similar with the bat but Vettori the better bowler. Both rely on their economy rate to put pressure on the batsmen. I think we have enough strike power in our pace bowlers (Boult & Ferguson) that we don't need an out and out wicket taking spinner. I like Sodhi a lot but he is too expensive in ODI cricket this far. If we compare Santner and Sodhi -

Santner List A Bowling Average 33 | Sodhi 31
Santner ODI Bowling Average 36 | Sodhi 36

Santner List A Economy Rate 4.72 | Sodhi 5.06
Santner ODI Bowling Average 4.89 | Sodhi 5.44

Santner List A Batting Average - 28 | Sodhi 10
Santner ODI Batting Average - 27 | Sodhi 6

Based on those figures you can't make a case for Sodhi over Santner. You could say bowling is almost the same but Santner is far better with the bat and the better fielder.

I think both need to play in India however and they complement each other well.

Reaction score
wrighty

wrighty

1st Grade Fringe
Reaction score
The issue with the 260-270 for 9 is that often the 9 comes from late wickets which doesn't do a lot of damage to the overall total. But I agree that taking wickets are essential to reduce the scoring rate. And these days no team is going to score 240 for 2. 300 would be minimum for 2 wickets down which makes me lean towards your preference of taking wickets.

I am very interested to see how Foxcroft develops and hopefully he can push his List A average above 40. An average of 40 in T20 cricket is pretty elite though. He is still very young so plenty of time to develop.

Santner is a slightly inferior version of Vettori in white ball cricket. Both similar with the bat but Vettori the better bowler. Both rely on their economy rate to put pressure on the batsmen. I think we have enough strike power in our pace bowlers (Boult & Ferguson) that we don't need an out and out wicket taking spinner. I like Sodhi a lot but he is too expensive in ODI cricket this far. If we compare Santner and Sodhi -

Santner List A Bowling Average 33 | Sodhi 31
Santner ODI Bowling Average 36 | Sodhi 36

Santner List A Economy Rate 4.72 | Sodhi 5.06
Santner ODI Bowling Average 4.89 | Sodhi 5.44

Santner List A Batting Average - 28 | Sodhi 10
Santner ODI Batting Average - 27 | Sodhi 6

Based on those figures you can't make a case for Sodhi over Santner. You could say bowling is almost the same but Santner is far better with the bat and the better fielder.

I think both need to play in India however and they complement each other well.
Nice analysis.

I assume though that Sodhi would have a better ODI SR and take more wickets per match?
I think Sodhi needs to use his variations way more rather than setting the batsman up for a surprise googly by bowling 12 leggies in a row then a googly through the gate.

From the footage I have seen in the supersmash he has speed up his pace and become more accurate this year. Watch out for him to impress against India.

Reaction score
warriors55

warriors55

1st Grade Fringe
Reaction score
Nice analysis.

I assume though that Sodhi would have a better ODI SR and take more wickets per match?
I think Sodhi needs to use his variations way more rather than setting the batsman up for a surprise googly by bowling 12 leggies in a row then a googly through the gate.

From the footage I have seen in the supersmash he has speed up his pace and become more accurate this year. Watch out for him to impress against India.
You are correct. Sodhi does have a better SR in ODI cricket compared Santner. Although interestingly Santer has the better SR in T20 cricket.

I am happy to hear he is more accurate this season. His problem was that he doesn't usually bowl 6 good deliveries in a row and bowls a boundary ball most overs.

If I want a spin bowler to take wickets I would choose Sodhi even though their averages are similar but Santner is a better overall cricketer in my opinion.
Sodhi's bowling average is not good enough for a spin bowler who does not contribute much with the bat.

Look forward to seeing them both against India.

Reaction score
wrighty

wrighty

1st Grade Fringe
Reaction score
New Zealand's under 19 squad was announced on 12 December 2019.[9]

Jesse Tashkoff (c)
Adithya Ashok
Kristian Clarke
Hayden Dickson
Joey Field
David Hancock
Simon Keene
Fergus Lellman
Nicholas Lidstone
Rhys Mariu
William O'Rourke
Ben Pomare
Quinn Sunde
Beckham Wheeler-Greenall
Oliver White

You got any good goss on these prospects Warriors55?

Reaction score
warriors55

warriors55

1st Grade Fringe
Reaction score
Sorry Wrighty don't know much about the under 19 players. Will be watching with interest though.

I've got to say that Ravindra impressed me during the last couple of super smash games. Can see why he is so hyped.

Reaction score
warriors55

warriors55

1st Grade Fringe
Reaction score
I went to the T20 last night which was pretty disappointing. I would have been better off going to the Friday game.

The only positive was Guptill with the bat and Santner with the ball. They were the best two fielders as well.

We need Boult and Ferguson back asap. The other pace bowlers are not up to it. I would bring in Phillps for Siefert and make room for Neesham. Here is the team I would go with for the world T20.

1. Guptill
2. Munro
3. Williamson
4. Taylor
5. Neesham
6. Phillips
7. CDG
8. Santner
9. Sodhi
10. Ferguson
11. Boult

5th Bowling option is the issue. But can be shared by CDG/Neesham/Munro

We are too light on batting with Santner at 7.

Top Bottom