Recruitment Warriors 2024/2025 Recruitment & Retention

Warriors 2024/2025 Recruitment & Retention Discussion
key: T = Team option, M = Mutual option, P = Player option, D = Development contract

Confirmed Top 30 2024: 28/30
Confirmed Development 2024: 5/6

Confirmed Top 30 2025: 26/30
Confirmed Development 2025: 1/6

2025 Gains: James Fucking Fisher-Harris baby! (Panthers)
2025 Losses: Addin Fonua-Blake (Sharks)
2025 Off Contract: Shaun Johnson, Jazz Tevaga

Last edited:
The cap increased by 25%, which I think many on this forum have forgotten about. $700k is the old $550k, $1 million is the old $800k etc.

But then it's not consistent, Haas and AFB just over a mill, so they're only 800k players under the old system?

Just seems strange. I would have been guuuuuuted to to lose AFB on 1.1 and then pick up BHU for 750k.

That's 70% of what AFBs getting, I don't think he would give us anywhere near 70% of what AFB would be giving us

But then it's not consistent, Haas and AFB just over a mill, so they're only 800k players under the old system?

Just seems strange. I would have been guuuuuuted to to lose AFB on 1.1 and then pick up BHU for 750k.

That's 70% of what AFBs getting, I don't think he would give us anywhere near 70% of what AFB would be giving us
Yeah it is a bit hard to get the head around aye.
I guess there are also other factors, like how the importance of each position changes every few years as the game evolves. Currently middles are very high priority.
Also good old supply and demand

He recently said he hasn't signed with them. Even tho the reports say he did.
THOMPSON’S NRL FUTURE UNCERTAIN

https://www.foxsports.com.au/nrl/nr...n/news-story/5596094c3f970f7fcf2270b2328917c3
Rugby union gun Tyrone Thompson has put to be reports he has signed a contract to join his brother Leo at the Knights, but did reveal he was considering the move.

Reports surfaced last season Thompson had signed a development deal ahead of the 2025 NRL season, turning his back on the 15-man code.

However, speaking to Stuff NZ, Thompson explained he is yet to settle his future with his current New Zealand rugby contract ending after the 2024 season.

“Well, we’re still trying to go through it all,” Thompson said.

“I’m considering it, I’ve definitely got interest in it. But I’ve still got aspirations here as well. So I’m seeing how it plays out. There’s nothing set yet.”

Tyrone’s brother Leo was one of Newcastle’s breakout players in 2023, joining the Saifiti brothers in a dangerous front row rotation.

Thompson’s coach at Super Rugby outfit the Chiefs said he was happy his player was being honest about his aspirations.

“The good thing is that he’s been very open and transparent about his desire to give league a crack, and there’s a lot of appeal, particularly to go and play with his twin brother, and I get that,” Clayton McMillan said.

“But we’re working really hard at our end to give him confidence that he’s highly-valued in our environment.”

Reece might demand highest contract in comp now, I think Cleary and Ponga are on upwards of 1.3 mil, he could be the first 1.5 million dollar man.

Broncs can't keep them all, mind you his bff Sam Walker at the chooks could be a draw there too, that's the bones of a premiership spine for a decade. Fuck knows how the Roosters could afford him but we all know they can.
Fark me you could buy a lot of the white stuff with 1.5m

I read everyone's posts in this thread on the train to and from work and spent considerable time thinking this over.
One option is that given BHU was the best option for 2025 we give up on 2025 and use next year to rebuild, accept we finish outside of the 8, and then recruit a top prop for 2026 make a charge from 2026 to 2028 timeframe.
I have though discarded that option. If we go with having a rebuilding year next year a ton of our veteran top players will get slutted off and find another team or take a sabitical etc. RTS won't want to put up with a rebuilding year, neither will Capewell. SJ won't resign for that, Tohu Hiarris would rather retire. don't even think Dylan Walker would put up with that.
I don't think a rebuilding year is an option.
Which leaves two options
1) Recruit a small dimensioned prop someone in the Rueben Cotter muscular frame and bulk up Jazz a bit and go with small props who are very mobile and change our entire game plan. Instead of relying on muscling it up front with a firepower alpha prop. Spend our 1 million from AFB on a top stand off for next year. And just try to win through the backs. Kind of like the indigenious can beat the Maori All Stars despite the Maori having far better forwards.
2) Really go through the ESL props and all available options in the NRL including trying to get someone to break their contract and come early in 2025 by paying Massive Overs and just accepting we are desperate and paying the full market rate rather than offering a fair price.

Of these two options I would go with paying Overs.

I read everyone's posts in this thread on the train to and from work and spent considerable time thinking this over.
One option is that given BHU was the best option for 2025 we give up on 2025 and use next year to rebuild, accept we finish outside of the 8, and then recruit a top prop for 2026 make a charge from 2026 to 2028 timeframe.
I have though discarded that option. If we go with having a rebuilding year next year a ton of our veteran top players will get slutted off and find another team or take a sabitical etc. RTS won't want to put up with a rebuilding year, neither will Capewell. SJ won't resign for that, Tohu Hiarris would rather retire. don't even think Dylan Walker would put up with that.
Which leaves two options
1) Recruit a small dimensioned prop someone in the Rueben Cotter muscular frame and bulk up Jazz a bit and go with small props who are very mobile and change our entire game plan. Instead of relying on muscling it up front with a firepower alpha prop. Spend our 1 million from AFB on a top stand off for next year. And just try to win through the backs. Kind of like the indigenious can beat the Maori All Stars despite the Maori having far better forwards.
2) Really go through the ESL props and all available options in the NRL including trying to get someone to break their contract and come early in 2025 by paying Massive Overs and just accepting we are desperate and paying the full market rate rather than offering a fair price.

Overs for one of the Broncos up-and-comers Te Kura, Piakura or Willison will pay off. Give one of them too much money to refuse. It's not like the Broncos environment is that much better now the Warriors have turned the culture around. One more year of proving it to the league and hopefully we start looking like a destination club to potential recruits.

Which leaves two options

We don't fill the spot for the sake of it. There are plenty of targets for 26 and beyond.

Overs for one of the Broncos up-and-comers Te Kura, Piakura or Willison will pay off. Give one of them too much money to refuse. It's not like the Broncos environment is that much better now the Warriors have turned the culture around. One more year of proving it to the league and hopefully we start looking like a destination club to potential recruits.
Give it some time for the Broncos to fall over this year first then go knocking

THOMPSON’S NRL FUTURE UNCERTAIN

https://www.foxsports.com.au/nrl/nr...n/news-story/5596094c3f970f7fcf2270b2328917c3
Rugby union gun Tyrone Thompson has put to be reports he has signed a contract to join his brother Leo at the Knights, but did reveal he was considering the move.

Reports surfaced last season Thompson had signed a development deal ahead of the 2025 NRL season, turning his back on the 15-man code.

However, speaking to Stuff NZ, Thompson explained he is yet to settle his future with his current New Zealand rugby contract ending after the 2024 season.

“Well, we’re still trying to go through it all,” Thompson said.

“I’m considering it, I’ve definitely got interest in it. But I’ve still got aspirations here as well. So I’m seeing how it plays out. There’s nothing set yet.”

Tyrone’s brother Leo was one of Newcastle’s breakout players in 2023, joining the Saifiti brothers in a dangerous front row rotation.

Thompson’s coach at Super Rugby outfit the Chiefs said he was happy his player was being honest about his aspirations.

“The good thing is that he’s been very open and transparent about his desire to give league a crack, and there’s a lot of appeal, particularly to go and play with his twin brother, and I get that,” Clayton McMillan said.

“But we’re working really hard at our end to give him confidence that he’s highly-valued in our environment.”
Newcastle are offering him a development deal? Fark that- give him a top 30 spot and his brother a massive pay rise if he gets homesick…
Those boys should be warriors.