Recruitment Warriors 2024/2025 Recruitment & Retention

Warriors 2024/2025 Recruitment & Retention Discussion
key: T = Team option, M = Mutual option, P = Player option, D = Development contract

Confirmed Top 30 2024: 28/30
Confirmed Development 2024: 5/6

Confirmed Top 30 2025: 26/30
Confirmed Development 2025: 1/6

2025 Gains: James Fisher-Harris (Panthers), Jett Cleary (Panthers)
2025 Losses: Addin Fonua-Blake (Sharks)
2025 Off Contract: Shaun Johnson, Jazz Tevaga

Last edited:
Are we still looking for props, Bunty fits the experienced category and Ale has been well blooded now. That means as middles there is AFB, Barnett, Niukore, Tohu. Zyon Maiu’u, TSS.. a number are rookies but I do not see a lack of depth.
Yes we are, take out AFB and we have the worst front row in the comp. Not knocking the talent but Barnett and Niukore are part time props and Bunty/Ale are only up to being 3rd/4th prop.

Looking at how good SJ looked in the trial, if he's healthy this year we'll make the finals and I wouldn't be surprised if he came back for another year. Having a makeshift front row would be a waste of our window. Not much the club can do though, but I can see why we wanted BHU. 2 years is ideal for him, Sharks got a ripper of a deal. 3 years would have likely been problematic.

Yes we are, take out AFB and we have the worst front row in the comp. Not knocking the talent but Barnett and Niukore are part time props and Bunty/Ale are only up to being 3rd/4th prop.

Looking at how good SJ looked in the trial, if he's healthy this year we'll make the finals and I wouldn't be surprised if he came back for another year. Having a makeshift front row would be a waste of our window. Not much the club can do though, but I can see why we wanted BHU. 2 years is ideal for him, Sharks got a ripper of a deal. 3 years would have likely been problematic.
Perhaps Royce hunt is still in the mixer. I took a thorough scavenge through his 2023 stats. He plays about 25 minutes per match. He can play more minutes if asked to. With BHU injured in the round 1 final vs le Rooster he made 101 metres in 35 minutes.
For those sort of minutes we would not want to make a big offer given his limited motor.
But it opens us up to acquiring 2 limited minute high impact props for the AFB money.
Take Hunt off after 25 minutes and then in the second half some other limited minute 500K prop smashes out 80 metres in 22 minutes.
I suspect Sharks won't want Hunt anymore now they have a 2025 rotation of Rudolf AFB on big minutes and BHU
Where and why would they need Hunt as well...injury cover?

It lacks when you take AFB out of the equation. But I think in Barnett and niikore we would be okay until they nab another top line prop. I think Leo Thompson and Neame could still be future targets alongside JFH?
Not having a go at you but I keep seeing jfh mentioned. Is he not signed till end of 26 I believe. Penrith don't let players go early and have mentioned as much with the luai signing. Of course I could've misconstrued your post and you're talking long term.
Could there be a reason they would let him walk early?

Not having a go at you but I keep seeing jfh mentioned. Is he not signed till end of 26 I believe. Penrith don't let players go early and have mentioned as much with the luai signing. Of course I could've misconstrued your post and you're talking long term.
Could there be a reason they would let him walk early?
No it would only be because he's done everything at the Panthers and we could give him more years at top dollar so he would ask for an early release. Not saying this is the case at all but if I'm McFadden I'm asking the question.

This for the 40th time in this thread is the list of available props for 2025 - It is my suppostion we can't let 2025 slide by as a rebuilding year per an earlier post I made

PROP

Mat Croker, Sione Fainu, Peter Hola, Samuel Hughes, Valingi Kepu, Liam Knight, Matthew Lodge, Makahesi Makatoa, Terrell May, Sam McIntyre, Jordan McLean, Shaquai Mitchell, Tepai Moeroa, Francis Molo, Michael Molo, Jirah Momoisea, Ofahiki Ogden, Chris Patolo, Aaron Pene, Ky Rodwell, Jamayne Taunoa-Brown, Martin Taupau, Alec Tuitavake, Jarrod Wallace, Aaron Woods

There are some really piss poor names on that list and some other guys who used to be good but father time has caught up to them.
I remember when we had reasonably big hopes for Aaron Pene. People on this forum also were hopeful for JTB. Less said about Mathew Lodge the better. Martin Taupau would be an interesting get if we could get him for league minimum 180K. Taupau will be 36 next year.

Why can't we put our hat in the ring for the bidding circus around Terrell May. Even if he wants to stay in Australia why not just try.
Who cares he wants to play with his brothers. Money talks.

This for the 40th time in this thread is the list of available props for 2025 - It is my suppostion we can't let 2025 slide by as a rebuilding year per an earlier post I made

PROP

Mat Croker, Sione Fainu, Peter Hola, Samuel Hughes, Valingi Kepu, Liam Knight, Matthew Lodge, Makahesi Makatoa, Terrell May, Sam McIntyre, Jordan McLean, Shaquai Mitchell, Tepai Moeroa, Francis Molo, Michael Molo, Jirah Momoisea, Ofahiki Ogden, Chris Patolo, Aaron Pene, Ky Rodwell, Jamayne Taunoa-Brown, Martin Taupau, Alec Tuitavake, Jarrod Wallace, Aaron Woods

There are some really piss poor names on that list and some other guys who used to be good but father time has caught up to them.
I remember when we had reasonably big hopes for Aaron Pene. People on this forum also were hopeful for JTB. Less said about Mathew Lodge the better. Martin Taupau would be an interesting get if we could get him for league minimum 180K. Taupau will be 36 next year.

Why can't we put our hat in the ring for the bidding circus around Terrell May. Even if he wants to stay in Australia why not just try.
Jesus, what a horrid list. There's noone I'd be remotely interested in.

At least it sounds like the "sign JFH/Neame/Thompson" chat has started back up, we must've gone at least 2 weeks without someone suggesting one of them.

At least it sounds like the "sign JFH/Neame/Thompson" chat has started back up, we must've gone at least 2 weeks without someone suggesting one of them.
I am sick of those posts tbh and they very much remind me of the days before we had Webster and were looking for a coach and every 8th or 9th post said we needed to sign Wayne or Bellamy. NEITHER OF THEM ARE COMING TO THE WARRIORS EVER. But it didn't stop them being suggested nearly all the time when we have been coach hunting.

While I am on my high horses throwing out brick bats - I am ok with recruitment posts about getting someone to break their contract early if that club has salary cap issues etc...but most of the time it is just throw some money at player X even though they are locked up for the next 3 years with a team they like playing for. So I find those posts unrealistic and in the same sphere as sign Bellamy as coach.

There’s also someone like Utoikamanu who has an option for 2025 and could be starting to look more enticing for a big offer. Had seen somewhere that he’s a roosters target but not sure of the truth to that.

PROP

His brother on the wing would be lethal also! 😂

I thought what elevated AFB last year was a bit of a step in his game... he'd always had footwork but it was being used well, beating players and the line breaks and tries came..... it warmed my heart to see a touch of the same from Barnett in yesterdays trial! One of the things that seems to make them shine under webby is loving their football so it's not just pretty to watch and effective, it strengthens the bonds to the team. With Niukore looking like mixing front and 2nd rows I don't see a need to panic for front rowers tbh

BHU......
have you ever put a bid in at an auction assuming you were just bumping the price up but then it looks like you're going to be stuck with it? Thank god the sharks blinked. And we got to screw with their cap a lil bit ;)

I don't mind him, and trust the Wahs recruiters .. but they were pushing that trust on this one; given he's injury prone and short on minutes it really seemed like we were going to be paying overs. 12 months to sort out Zyon Maiu’u's tackle technique and finish Niukore's evolution to the front row.

Few more on here mentioning their options like Josh Papalii, Oregon Kaufusi, Tom Hazelton. Still slim pickings as far as a forward leader. Hopefully an underperforming team has a good disgruntled middle forward wanting out

Few more on here mentioning their options like Josh Papalii, Oregon Kaufusi, Tom Hazelton. Still slim pickings as far as a forward leader. Hopefully an underperforming team has a good disgruntled middle forward wanting out
I reckon we go and get Kaufusi. Still young and hasn’t reached his potential 💯

I thought what elevated AFB last year was a bit of a step in his game... he'd always had footwork but it was being used well, beating players and the line breaks and tries came..... it warmed my heart to see a touch of the same from Barnett in yesterdays trial! One of the things that seems to make them shine under webby is loving their football so it's not just pretty to watch and effective, it strengthens the bonds to the team. With Niukore looking like mixing front and 2nd rows I don't see a need to panic for front rowers tbh
And i think this is a point no one else has brought to the discussion before that Niukore is evolving into a prop this year and has some improvement in him relative to what we are all assuming he will be like in 2025 which is a limited minute impact off the bench player.

I reckon we go and get Kaufusi. Still young and hasn’t reached his potential 💯

Still think there could be something around this guy when you read this and consider the tigers will go all out to keep Utoikamanu I would imagine? I’d take Klemmer for a couple of years with tigers chipping in and Kaufusi. There’s also Josh Papalii who admittedly is 31 but just last season averaged 95% tackle efficiency and 120 odd metres a game so still has some gas in the tank. When you consider we’re after a forward leader I reckon that’s the caliber of player we’re after.

Still think there could be something around this guy when you read this and consider the tigers will go all out to keep Utoikamanu I would imagine? I’d take Klemmer for a couple of years with tigers chipping in and Kaufusi. There’s also Josh Papalii who admittedly is 31 but just last season averaged 95% tackle efficiency and 120 odd metres a game so still has some gas in the tank. When you consider we’re after a forward leader I reckon that’s the caliber of player we’re after.
In the words of Gus Gould, NO, NO, NO, NO, NO!!!!

I don’t get how anyone thinks Klemmer is half decent. He moves slower than time, error prone and gives away mindless penalties. Football IQ of Lodge.

Fuck stats it’s watching these guys live that counts. Too many SuperCoach fans out there.

Hard pass from me!

Last edited: