Recruitment Warriors 2024/2025 Recruitment & Retention

Warriors 2024/2025 Recruitment & Retention Discussion
key: T = Team option, M = Mutual option, P = Player option, D = Development contract

Confirmed Top 30 2024: 28/30
Confirmed Development 2024: 5/6

Confirmed Top 30 2025: 25/30
Confirmed Development 2025: 1/6

2025 Gains: Nil
2025 Losses: Addin Fonua-Blake (Sharks)

Last edited:
Passing was clunky with CHT in the Halves, he gets tackled with the ball a fair bit from memory.
His development arc was strange I thought....I.e he was fast, a stepper...talked up as an exciting Junior.....that was the age he did the scorpion kick.

Then he was bulked up by the club, loss of speed, less creativity, light foot stepping....looked like a low guy, gets trapped with the ball....clunky service....

Then a one off test....pumped with pride....playing dummy half...looks great....

I get that CHT had lost the love....and is gonna be fresh...and I get that his development included shit coaching and a stink team....and I get that he could improve greatly.....

And Defence is his strength....so I'm not discounting any of that....

But TMM looked great next to SJ....got injured....looked like a post injury player end of season.

So I still have TMM out front by some distance as he can defend and looked fluid when fit.
I always though his strength was his energy and enthusiasm. This showed out in his defence where he made some great hits coming out of the line but could get beaten one on one defending wider of the ruck. As a playmaker he tended to sit deep and distribute, when he ran at the line it wasn't necessarily threatening. Under the previous coaches short passing and support play didn't seem to be in the game plan so, not sure how he would read breaks in a more open game.. People called him a "game manager" as compared to Nikorima he got his hands on the ball at first receiver.

When TMM runs wide he can distribute the ball at the line more effectively creating space for his outsides. He is not the defender CHT is but I would prefer a 1/2 who can create and run

What is TMM actually better than CHT at though? Genuinely asking.

Albeit it will take him some time shake the rust off, imo CHT is a superior version of what TMM offers.

The only wildcard is Metcalf showing what he's capable of with his speed, which obviously CHT doesn't have. But I still think CHT is a more complete all round player than Metcalf.
I’d flip that question- what is CHT actually better at than our halves from season 23?
CHT has a couple of decent hits(which he would generally come off clutching his shoulder) and a tinny scorpion kick that to some seem to elevate him to immortal status and a defensive genius- the rest of his game is pretty bland, we really didn’t miss him at all last season

I’d flip that question- what is CHT actually better at than our halves from season 23?
CHT has a couple of decent hits(which he would generally come off clutching his shoulder) and a tinny scorpion kick that to some seem to elevate him to immortal status and a defensive genius- the rest of his game is pretty bland, we really didn’t miss him at all last season
Defence. Metcalf and Volkman put too much pressure on those around them.

Defence. Metcalf and Volkman put too much pressure on those around them
Think people equate the odd big hit as better defensively than CHT actually is, Volkmans a moot point as he’s gone but yes CHT probably better defensively than Metcalf but I’d probably rather have TMM if we were looking at defensive game.
TMM safer option Metcalf has a much higher ceiling

When considering who I prefer in the halves or for that matter in any position in any sport with which I`m familiar I imagine who I`d most like to play with and or alternatively not play against given their respective attributes...SJ`s genius on both attack and now defence we all agree on, as for the others we all have our own opinions but Metcalfe`s speed on attack is a big plus, defence a minus, CTH`s D , TMM`s all round composure and Egan`s slight of hand and canny play. All will be revealed by Webby soon enough but one things for sure I`m more excited than ever for the next season.

“We agreed with Ronald’s management that he’d be released immediately. We contributed financially to his release and it was up to his management to negotiate a contract with another club.
Does the money we paid RV then have to come under our salary cap?

I can agree that CHT is the most worthy of a bench role being he fills multiple utility roles compared to the other two, but if CHT is impressing and owning it he deserves to start. Also could that be a too small bench to carry CHT? I could understand for the spell Egan factor, but Walker is an automatic pick, Jazz is a small prop and Niukore or Barnett would provide our only size with Barnett not huge either. Ale and Bunty are floating around too which could add some size but would be at the expense of Jazz if CHT is in the bench also.
I would be happy with a bench of CHT, Walker, Niukore & Jazz. Both Walker & Jazz play above their weight grade and I don’t see any issues with getting a combined 160 minutes out of AFB, Barnett & Niukore in the middle. Barnett was excellent at prop last year when fit. I’m not sure everyone appreciates what he offers.

Would be fun to see Metcalf off the bench after 20 minutes, but that wouldn't happen lol

“We agreed with Ronald’s management that he’d be released immediately. We contributed financially to his release and it was up to his management to negotiate a contract with another club.
Sure does.

Think people equate the odd big hit as better defensively than CHT actually is, Volkmans a moot point as he’s gone but yes CHT probably better defensively than Metcalf but I’d probably rather have TMM if we were looking at defensive game.
TMM safer option Metcalf has a much higher ceiling
I think an attacking player is going to be more in two minds about taking the ball into a player thats going to hurt them rather than hang off them even if the defence is measured by the force, but I think it’s also safe to say that CHT is an all round better defender than Metcalf. I don’t have any debate that Metcalf has huge potential that hopefully translates, we’re not his first club that he hasn’t been able to force his way into a regular starting role, but one thing that concerned me last year along with the pressure the left side looked under with him there was about 4 games where tries were cost or made harder than they potentially had to be because of himself running and not passing to looking to the open players. One game was against the sea eagles close to the line where a try was cost but another was against the eels where he backed himself and scored a great try amongst 3 defenders but a noticeably upset SJ run in to congratulate but was also letting him know about the open players outside him that he didn’t pass to. Can understand a young guy wanting to impress but also can be to the detriment of the team.

I think an attacking player is going to be more in two minds about taking the ball into a player thats going to hurt them rather than hang off them even if the defence is measured by the force, but I think it’s also safe to say that CHT is an all round better defender than Metcalf. I don’t have any debate that Metcalf has huge potential that hopefully translates, we’re not his first club that he hasn’t been able to force his way into a regular starting role, but one thing that concerned me last year along with the pressure the left side looked under with him there was about 4 games where tries were cost or made harder than they potentially had to be because of himself running and not passing to looking to the open players. One game was against the sea eagles close to the line where a try was cost but another was against the eels where he backed himself and scored a great try amongst 3 defenders but a noticeably upset SJ run in to congratulate but was also letting him know about the open players outside him that he didn’t pass to. Can understand a young guy wanting to impress but also can be to the detriment of the team.

He did look more organized and starting to link up with his edge in the game or 2 prior to his season ending injury though, I definitely think he has a high ceiling as he continues to grow, as long as the hamy stays intact and he stays with us lol

I would be happy with a bench of CHT, Walker, Niukore & Jazz. Both Walker & Jazz play above their weight grade and I don’t see any issues with getting a combined 160 minutes out of AFB, Barnett & Niukore in the middle. Barnett was excellent at prop last year when fit. I’m not sure everyone appreciates what he offers.
Thought a couple of games like the roosters and rabbits, it was quite noticeable we were dominated in the forwards, especially any wet weather games. No knock on Barnett and I agree his work is underrated but it’s just a matter of physics against guys he gives up too much weight to. I wouldn’t disagree with the potential that your bench is how they go as there’s not really weak link amongst them defensively, just think there could be some games where we might be better with another big body coming of the bench. Injuries will also force our hand at some stage more than likely so we’ll likely see multiple combinations all season all over the field.

Yup. Probably not too much, but would have topped up his contract value with the Dragons this season at least.

CHT is not a 7, doesn't have the controlling game or kicking to do it. That's why he is such a decisive player, because we had no halves he had to play a role he not suited too. Him next to SJ gives me confidence he could play the supporting 6 really well. Metcalf gives us more attack with the ball in his hands, which I think means he gets the job IMO.

Ezra Mam was 5/8 of the year last year. Reynolds was the controlling half so if we want to emulate that style, Metcalf is your man. Similar with Luai and Cleary at the Panthers.

Roosters with Keary and Walker have two organizing / running halves with strike weapons outside them I.e Sualii & Manu.

CHT big tall fella likes to put a shot on, I guess a poor man's Jack Wighton at 6.

We also have to remember RTS coming into the line up most likely left centre. So he's a guy that needs good quality early ball. For that reason I would probably go Martin. Good defender and distributer. Strike weapons on the outside.

Although bring on the trials! Let's see which one of those boys takes their opportunity and owns that 6 jersey. Looking forward to it!

Geez I’m happy to take a wait & see approach on CHT, if he gets anywhere near the expectations of some of you then I’ll be happy, however comparing him to Cam Smith????? Totally absurd.
No comparison - I meant he can play similar to the Cam Smith style of play from dummy half. Ie short kicking game. Sleight of hand passing etc. But with better D.

I don’t think he’s Goat material at all.

Servicable and adds another element alongside Egan, yes.

‘Red flags’: Blame game erupts injured player wiped from the NRL​

Fox League

Warriors CEO Cameron George has absolved the club of any blame in the Ronald Volkman fiasco, after the promising playmaker was left without a contract after being released by the St George-Illawarra Dragons.
Volkman requested, and was granted, a release from his Warriors contract two years early to sign a one-year deal with the Dragons - an arrangement that was in the works late last month.

However, Volkman is now left without a club after the Dragons let go the 21-year-old citing a medical that revealed he would need season-ending shoulder surgery from a pre-existing injury.

Watch sport this summer live with no ad breaks in play on Kayo Sports. Join Kayo now and start streaming instantly >

As the contract hadn’t been officially registered with the NRL, the Dragons wiped their hands clean of Volkman and gave him his marching orders.

Unfortunately for Volkman, his manager signed a deed of termination with the Warriors on Christmas Eve, meaning he is unable to return to his former club.

Ronald Volkman has been left without a contract. NRL Imagery

Ronald Volkman has been left without a contract. NRL Imagery
Volkman’s career is now in limbo, with no contract and a serious shoulder injury that requires surgery before he can see the field again.

George defended the way the Warriors handled the situation in an interview with the SMH.

“That’s due diligence I would’ve thought a club would take before agreeing to sign someone,” George said.

“Whatever the conditions were for him to go to another club is irrelevant to us. Since that release, it was noted that he trained with them.”

As George alluded to, the Warriors paid Volkman a considerable part of the final two years of his deal, so the playmaker hasn’t been completely left in the lurch.

Last edited:
. Similar with Luai and Cleary at the Panthers.
I think some styles work for some teams better than others too. Would be interesting to see how Walsh played in our system but CNK’s reliability is a huge advantage to our team. Also interesting is that in the final where the panthers won the game was Cleary going to five eighth and Cogger halfback. Probably just Cleary brilliance but perhaps Mam brilliance too?

Back