Awards/Honours
  1. Dally M (Positional Award)
Status
Active
Wikipedia
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dallin_Watene-Zelezniak

Ever Hopeful

Contributor
Dallin isn't the whole package, but he can score tries that he wouldn't be expected to. Intercepts, crazy touch downs, decent speed, good aerial skills.

Why people would be excited about losing one of the few players in this team that can actually score (on top of AFB) is beyond me.

It would be great to have a great defender with consistently sound decision-making, but fuck me we have a bunch of ploddy, geriatric robots. We have to add x-factor before we take any more away imho.

John Nick

Contributor
Dallin isn't the whole package, but he can score tries that he wouldn't be expected to. Intercepts, crazy touch downs, decent speed, good aerial skills.

Why people would be excited about losing one of the few players in this team that can actually score (on top of AFB) is beyond me.

It would be great to have a great defender with consistently sound decision-making, but fuck me we have a bunch of ploddy, geriatric robots. We have to add x-factor before we take any more away imho.
Absolutely. We have enough guys not putting in all the time.
At least Dallin is having a decent crack

None of that is enough for me to want to keep him.

Soft defensive errors are absolute killers.

Wish him well.

Ever Hopeful

Contributor
None of that is enough for me to want to keep him.

Soft defensive errors are absolute killers.

Wish him well.
Yeah, I get that, I totally do. It sounds like a sheet from my playbook.

I couldn't wait to lose Hiku despite his upside, and could name a lot of players this club has had whose positives were outweighed by the other stuff.

So it goes against my nature to come into bat for DWZ, but sadly I still think the roster as it currently stands needs him. In two of our tight wins, he had big x-factor moments that helped us improve our position on the ladder - The Raiders and the Sea Eagles.

Of course the hope is that the roster is improved as we get upgrades for players with deficiencies, but that is so much easier said than done.

For mine Dallin is in the conversation for best Warriors winger of all time.

The last speedster on the wing for the Warriors you say B & H? train spot time, we have not had many....

Still me train spotter gene off the top of my unreliable memory says....Kevin Locke was the last fast Winger.

Before that the teenage Manu.

Then Lee Oudenryn.

Before him Sean Hope (getting close to the slower power winger pace but hey he was not slow).

Dallin might be the best Warriors winger of all time.

If he turns in more seasons like this year then he will be.

He is a better defender than Manu, and he doesn't lose much to Manu in the kick return department. But Manu could win games single handed, therefore he is still probably number one....but like I say, if Dallin is knocking on the door, how many times do we see him catch a ball before the line and think that will be a try...no one is stopping him in the corner I do not care who it is...no one in the NRL has been able to stop him because of his acceleration off the mark.
Mate ever heard of Francis Meli??

Worried2Death

Contributor
Depth is an issue but I can see us rolling out a 2025 backline of:

1. CNK / Taine
2. RTS
3. Ali / Pompey
4. Berry / Pompey
5. Montoya / Pompey

I don't know much about the juniors, I hear a name called Kali bounced around a bit. Setu Tu as well.

I think we can cover a DWZ exit.
Hope so but you can't train sheer speed, he's about our only asset in that dept unless we're getting the Fox or someone like that.

Depth is an issue but I can see us rolling out a 2025 backline of:

1. CNK / Taine
2. RTS
3. Ali / Pompey
4. Berry / Pompey
5. Montoya / Pompey

I don't know much about the juniors, I hear a name called Kali bounced around a bit. Setu Tu as well.

I think we can cover a DWZ exit.
I’m finding the change of position for CNK interesting. I know we’re depleted across the board but from the start of the season Webster was saying under no circumstances would CNK be shifted from fullback if fit. The order was CNK, Tuaupiki, RTS as far as fullback goes. Noticed some uncharacteristic mistakes from CNK in the past few weeks and wonder if his fullback spot is under threat?

I’m finding the change of position for CNK interesting. I know we’re depleted across the board but from the start of the season Webster was saying under no circumstances would CNK be shifted from fullback if fit. The order was CNK, Tuaupiki, RTS as far as fullback goes. Noticed some uncharacteristic mistakes from CNK in the past few weeks and wonder if his fullback spot is under threat?

Possibly - when you have RTS and Taine behind you, there is always an amount of pressure.

That being said, someone needed to play 6 and most of us came to the same conclusion that it would have to be Taine.

With much less experience, the coaches seem to have opted for Taine to slot back into the 1.

CNK has moved into 6 a couple of times mid-game if memory serves me correct.

For me, I think it's TMM who is under most pressure. If Taine provides spark and CNK handles 6 well then it is TMM who will make way for SJ.

I think this is being overthought, Tuaupiki has been playing as a kicking fullback in NSW Cup and is (probably) a little weaker at defending in the front line, unlike Charnze. I wouldn't be surprised to see him doing a fair share of the general play kicking considering Charnze and TMM are not noted kickers.

Hope so but you can't train sheer speed, he's about our only asset in that dept unless we're getting the Fox or someone like that.

But you should be able to train simple defensive reads.

Question for you, if DWZ was 20% slower but defended 20% better - does that change any of our results?

Worried2Death

Contributor
But you should be able to train simple defensive reads.

Question for you, if DWZ was 20% slower but defended 20% better - does that change any of our results?
I think it would, as a net loss. If he was slower we'd have conceded more against the chooks at the weekend, and he couldn't score those intercepts, probably not half of his other magic flying put-downs either. But yeah who knows how many points his jamming in habit has cost us.

Last edited:

Ever Hopeful

Contributor
Tuaupiki has made a good fist of it so far, but how many players his size have had sustained careers in the NRL in the last 10 years? The ESL is full of them.

DWZ is an experienced and talented player who was the Kiwis incumbent wing until he made himself unavailable. Why would we weaken our depth further in an area we are desperately short in without a serious replacement?

Possibly - when you have RTS and Taine behind you, there is always an amount of pressure.

That being said, someone needed to play 6 and most of us came to the same conclusion that it would have to be Taine.

With much less experience, the coaches seem to have opted for Taine to slot back into the 1.

CNK has moved into 6 a couple of times mid-game if memory serves me correct.

For me, I think it's TMM who is under most pressure. If Taine provides spark and CNK handles 6 well then it is TMM who will make way for SJ.
Looking at the nsw cup stats against the knights for instance, Tuaupiki looks to take plenty of the last tackle kicks with bombs, forced in goal and grubbers listed. If he’s doing this from a first or second receiver place, surely CNK is at the back as the fullback cover? Haven’t been watching enough nsw cup to see how they’re performing this with Tuaupiki fullback?

I hope DWZ stays in the meantime as for the simple fact we dont have the speed machines that the other top teams have .Would be nice to snare a decent winger for nxt year.