Who is your preferred halves player?

• Adam Keighran

• Chanel Tavita-Harris

Results are only viewable after voting.
Reaction score

Boats n Hoes

1st Grade Fringe
Reaction score
Lets be honest, most halves suck at defending at the best of times. We also have to consider who was next to him and the context of those misses. All of our 2nd rowers are pretty solid defensively, so we could probably sort him out with a bodyguard of sorts (similar to Lockyer and several 2nd rowers over his time in the halves)
Think you'll find their talking about Burr, missed 85 tackles last season.

That said James Bell who's a noted defender missed 82. Usually find tho the missed tackle stat will usually be higher if their attempting more tackles than anyone else.

However a notable difference in a Bell/Burr comparison is Bell made 200 more tackles......quite a difference.

Reaction score

warriors4eva

1st Grade Fringe
Reaction score
I’m hearing big wraps on Burr. Apparently, he’s been a machine over the pre-season and the coaches expect him to play plenty first grade this season - from the bench, up front and at lock. They’re particularly impressed that he does something not many forwards do anymore: supports the ball carrier so often! Pencil him in for a slot somewhere.
he sounds like a mr fix it

chuck him on the bench so he can come on and cover for anyone in the pack !

Reaction score
HoRneT041

HoRneT041

Warriors Bench Player
Reaction score
Didn't really know where to post this, but I'm not too concerned about who we go for in the 17 because I'm more concerned about our style of play, particularly on attack. In the modern game, we have become too conservative, it's all very well having an 85% completion rate, but if you just go for 1 out hit-ups from the ruck then try something random on the last, it is very easy to defend.

When we got annihilated by the Storm last year (which was one of the best performances I have seen, ever), they basically didn't take one out hit-ups. They played off the pivot and hit us two passes wide with speed and ran with support runners. It is incredibly difficult to defend because you can't gang tackle, which means quick plays of the ball and offloads - this is the recipe. This allows you to send in your hooker or wings/centres to run from dummy half for easy metres.

We need to take more calculated risks, it can still be structured, hit the wider channels with the ball in two hands, short passing and fast tempo. My Warriors team will be made up of players that are able to play this style. If we are really worried about passing the ball being a risk, then we are screwed anyway.
The bell is still ringing in the ears after that Storm Anzac Day demolition, haha.. Seriously though, that was a standout game from last year played out like a template on how to attack!

Your breakdown of this particular game and how it was executed is right on the mark. If there ever was a game we should learn from and how we’d like to see OUR team play - there it is..

This season we begin with new halves and potentially new centre pairings (Milne?) around a pretty mobile pack, hopefully we can use this to our advantage.

Last edited:
Reaction score

Off The Bench

1st Grade Fringe
Reaction score
The bell is still ringing in the ears after that Storm Anzac Day demolition, haha.. Seriously though, that was a standout game from last year played out like a template on how to attack!

Your breakdown of this particular game and how it was executed is right on the mark. If there ever was a game we should learn from and how we’d like to see OUR team play - there it is..

This season we begin with new halves and potentially new centre pairings (Milne?) around a pretty mobile pack, hopefully we can use this to our advantage.
Blair an Tohu are good at the link plays required to put our forwards into half gaps an such .I also think Tevega will develope into this role .
But we also need forwards who run the right lines .I think this is what SK is trying to acheive when he put this team together.
we do have good post contact meter forwards an one of the best dummy half runners in the game So we are set up to see quick play
the balls an hard post contact running its exactly what Tohu Blair an Luke thrive on ..So hope fully we get to see the reimmergance of a
formidable warriors forward pack But we will definatly see quick meters made up the middle with this lot ,
Ah Mau an Paasi an Bunty are going to have a breakout year this year .All are underrated .

Reaction score

PhilsySH35

NSW Cup Player
Reaction score
Didn't really know where to post this, but I'm not too concerned about who we go for in the 17 because I'm more concerned about our style of play, particularly on attack. In the modern game, we have become too conservative, it's all very well having an 85% completion rate, but if you just go for 1 out hit-ups from the ruck then try something random on the last, it is very easy to defend.

When we got annihilated by the Storm last year (which was one of the best performances I have seen, ever), they basically didn't take one out hit-ups. They played off the pivot and hit us two passes wide with speed and ran with support runners. It is incredibly difficult to defend because you can't gang tackle, which means quick plays of the ball and offloads - this is the recipe. This allows you to send in your hooker or wings/centres to run from dummy half for easy metres.

We need to take more calculated risks, it can still be structured, hit the wider channels with the ball in two hands, short passing and fast tempo. My Warriors team will be made up of players that are able to play this style. If we are really worried about passing the ball being a risk, then we are screwed anyway.
I agree, I think the problem for the boys is they were too unfit, they were brilliant in the first 20-30 minutes, however in the last 10 minutes or so they resorted to one-out runners which is pretty easy to defend against, but, hopefully this season with the increased fitness levels, we'll see more runners (at least 2-3, not just RogerTVS) hitting holes creating opportunity for the halves to do there thing (like the storm did to us that wet rainy night) - can't wait - WARRIORS HARD!!!

Reaction score
HoRneT041

HoRneT041

Warriors Bench Player
Reaction score
Blair an Tohu are good at the link plays required to put our forwards into half gaps an such .I also think Tevega will develope into this role .
But we also need forwards who run the right lines .I think this is what SK is trying to acheive when he put this team together.
we do have good post contact meter forwards an one of the best dummy half runners in the game So we are set up to see quick play
the balls an hard post contact running its exactly what Tohu Blair an Luke thrive on ..So hope fully we get to see the reimmergance of a
formidable warriors forward pack But we will definatly see quick meters made up the middle with this lot ,
Ah Mau an Paasi an Bunty are going to have a breakout year this year .All are underrated .
Add to the mix Papalli’i and Burr in particular who has impressed at pre season and supports runners, we're developing some awesome depth in the forwards..

I agree, I think the problem for the boys is they were too unfit, they were brilliant in the first 20-30 minutes, however in the last 10 minutes or so they resorted to one-out runners which is pretty easy to defend against, but, hopefully this season with the increased fitness levels, we'll see more runners (at least 2-3, not just RogerTVS) hitting holes creating opportunity for the halves to do there thing (like the storm did to us that wet rainy night) - can't wait - WARRIORS HARD!!!

I agree with the fitness aspect. After our electric start at the beginning of last season, we seemed to fall away midway.

You could pinpoint State of Origin time as the pivot point each year where this seems to happen. The origin players get better and reinforce their respective teams, the tempo lifts at the business end and we find it harder to keep up.

I'm sure our coaching staff are fully awear of this which makes this preseason even more important as we build to break this trend..

Reaction score
Afakasi247

Afakasi247

1st Grade Fringe
Reaction score
The Mole reporting Blake Green injured his hammy at training and is a concern for round 1...definitely sitting out both trials

Reaction score

Boats n Hoes

1st Grade Fringe
Reaction score
Tbh I didn't think fitness was the issue with the drop of intensity after the 20-30 minute mark that became more apparent as the season went on.

For mine I thought Kearney's use of the interchange played a big part in a loss of momentum usually at that point.

The hybrid forward obsession may work for other teams but when we took a prop off usually for Jazz (who im not knocking btw as he did his work admirably and now with Mannering gone should be a like for like replacement which should ensure better balance to the pack pending if Kearney plays it that way) leaving us with only one genuine oompa on the park playing the big man role....i wasn't surprised we started to struggle for parity or win the ruck up front.

Reaction score

PhilsySH35

NSW Cup Player
Reaction score
Tbh I didn't think fitness was the issue with the drop of intensity after the 20-30 minute mark that became more apparent as the season went on.

For mine I thought Kearney's use of the interchange played a big part in a loss of momentum usually at that point.

The hybrid forward obsession may work for other teams but when we took a prop off usually for Jazz (who im not knocking btw as he did his work admirably and now with Mannering gone should be a like for like replacement which should ensure better balance to the pack pending if Kearney plays it that way) leaving us with only one genuine oompa on the park playing the big man role....i wasn't surprised we started to struggle for parity or win the ruck up front.
True, I'll keep an eye out, sounds like we need more or better players to keep the momentum flowing...I'm stumped now (suppose that's why he gets paid the big bucks. never the mind, can't wait for the first game...yiiihaahhh!!!

Reaction score
mt.wellington

mt.wellington

Warriors Orange Peeler
Reaction score
POLL ADDED

Who is your preferred halves player???
  • Adam Keighran
  • Chanel Tavita-Harris

Reaction score
mt.wellington

mt.wellington

Warriors Orange Peeler
Reaction score
Forgot to mention that we'll be resetting the poll after the next trial and again just before Round 1...

Reaction score
playdaball

playdaball

Heritage Member
Reaction score
Burr doesn’t have a good reputation in the North of England after playing for Leigh. A big move to NZ but obviously determined to gain a regular first grade spot.

Reaction score
Gizzyfan

Gizzyfan

Warriors 1st Grader
Reaction score
There are certaities, RTS, Fus Ken, probably Kata, Green, Harris, Papalii, Afoa, probably all safe. Training form rather than trial form will dictate the trst.

Reaction score
JBmurc

JBmurc

1st Grade Fringe
Reaction score
Sounds like Hayze thinks he is a chance for the halfback jersey, good on him, an outside chance at best probably.
https://www.nzherald.co.nz/bay-of-plenty-times/news/article.cfm?c_id=1503343&objectid=12200103
I really like the look of hayze not sure if he has a kicking game but running attacking /passing I was impressed hope we see more of him during the season .... I did just see he missed 24 tackles last season so more work on the D needed ... but he certainly has the pace

Top Bottom