Recruitment YOUR Warriors Team For 2017

Status
Not open for further replies.
This is what Fox NRL are now predicting as the starting line up for the first game.

IMO they are pretty to close to what I would expect will be the starting team in 4 weeks time.

This team looks good on paper but I did say the same thing at the start of last year and then we all know what happen during the season.

WARRIORS V KNIGHTS

Sun 05 Mar 2017, 4:00pm, Mt Smart Stadium

Warriors: 1. Roger Tuivasa-Sheck 2. Tuimoala Lolohea 3. David Fusitua 4. Solomone Kata 5. Manu Vatuvei 6. Ata Hingano 7. Shaun Johnson 8. Jacob Lillyman 9. Issac Luke 10. Albert Vete 11. Ryan Hoffman 12. Bodene Thompson 13. Simon Mannering. Interchange: 14. Jazz Tevaga 15. Sam Lisone 16. Charlie Gubb 17. James Gavet

Notes:

* Roger Tuivasa-Sheck (ACL) returns at fullback.

* Ata Hingano is confirmed to play five-eighth if Kieran Foran is not registered, with Tuimoala Lolohea to play wing.

Injuries/suspensions:

* Ben Matulino (knee) is set miss the first month.

* Kieran Foran’s contract is yet to be registered by the NRL.

Prepare for 26 weeks of disappointment people.

Reactions: Johnnyray and Sup42
Vete is good offence but defence a lot to work on..i think we have the forwards to measure up this season and hopefully a backline that complements them ..
Liillyman is one of the quickst to his feet as seen in origin, Thurston thrives on that and sets up from the momentum ,with Foran Johnson and LUKE around the rucks surely we are going to in the finals mix ..just one weekness CENTRE..ayshford is our weeklink
I wouldn't think ayshford would make the starting 13. Surely he will be behind fusitua.

Vancent

🫣
Contributor
Agree with the 5x forwards rotated only for injury or form, soft rotation back to bench (injury or form drop) or hard rotation back to NSW Cup (insert new name).

Roache, Tevaga, Bell as your Utility and in that order subject to form once again.

So unless I've forgotten someone, that gives me:
Roger Tuivasa-Sheck
Tui
Fusitua
Kata
Manu
Foran
Shaun Johnson
Vete
Luke
Lillyman
Bo To
Hoff
Manners

Roache
Mutts (insert injury replacement here)
Lisone
Gavet

19-20th men for form or injury:
Sipley
Gubb

Ayshford would have come in if Manu went to the forward bench, bringing Fusitua to the wing. Since Manu isn't travelling to the Sunshine Coast (a place I used to live), he might be under an injury cloud, which might leave room for Ayshford.

Agree with the 5x forwards rotated only for injury or form, soft rotation back to bench (injury or form drop) or hard rotation back to NSW Cup (insert new name).

Roache, Tevaga, Bell as your Utility and in that order subject to form once again.

So unless I've forgotten someone, that gives me:
Roger Tuivasa-Sheck
Tui
Fusitua
Kata
Manu
Foran
Shaun Johnson
Vete
Luke
Lillyman
Bo To
Hoff
Manners

Roache
Mutts (insert injury replacement here)
Lisone
Gavet

19-20th men for form or injury:
Sipley
Gubb

Yep, so basically the same team as last year but with Roger Tuivasa-Sheck hopefully recovered and Foran hopefully replacing TL.

Vete is good offence but defence a lot to work on..i think we have the forwards to measure up this season and hopefully a backline that complements them ..
Liillyman is one of the quickst to his feet as seen in origin, Thurston thrives on that and sets up from the momentum ,with Foran Johnson and LUKE around the rucks surely we are going to in the finals mix ..just one weekness CENTRE..ayshford is our weeklink
I loved Vetes defence. He became a bit of an enforcer for us last year. He put on some big hits flying out of the line and really put his body on the line. Hopefully he stays injury free as I reckon he'll be one of our main front rowers this year.

1- Tuivasa Sheck-
2- Lolohea- wouldnt mind him and Fusitua to swap between centre and wing on attack as Fusitua is our best finisher
3- Fusitua
4- Kata
5- Vatuvei- the beast has still got life in his legs IMO
6- Foran (Hingano)
7- Johnson
8- Lillyman- needs to start the season well or risks being overtaken by the young brigade
9- Luke- Need this man firing!!
10- Vete- looking like he is maturing and adding more offloads into his game. Hopefully he keeps developing
11-Thompson
12- Hoffman- I reckon he will get back to his best with a point to prove
13- Mannering

14- Roache/Tevaga- happy with either player. Roache does add more creativity though so would lean towards him.
15-Lisone
16-T. Sipley- been killing it at training according to reports
17- Gubb- his energy and enthusiasm always lifts the team

I loved Vetes defence. He became a bit of an enforcer for us last year. He put on some big hits flying out of the line and really put his body on the line. Hopefully he stays injury free as I reckon he'll be one of our main front rowers this year.

He was one of our main front rowers last year tbh.
He can hit but he did get caught out a couple of times. Part of that would be adjusting to the speed of first grade and also just a lack of experience- if u switch off for a second you'll get burnt.
Lisone is similar. Hopefully we see an improvement in that side of their game this year coz they're both good young players.

Hopefully we see an improvement in that side of their game this year coz they're both good young players.
Potentially on their day they could be world beaters, in reality Vete only played in just over half the games last year averaged less than 35mins and only had 4 line breaks the entire season, on the plus side he was our best off loader. Vete was a late comer to league but for him like a lot of players in the squad this is a make or break year for them. If they want upgraded contracts or hell even a contract at all this is the year to stand up, man up and deliver.

Reactions: eudebrito and bruce
I would really like to see a reshuffle of that backrow. Both for the kiwis and for the warriors opposing teams were forcing Johnson to make a lot of tackles to reduce his effectiveness on attack.

It would make sense to me to move our best defensive player Mannering next to Johnson to reduce the amount of tackles that Shaun Johnson has to make. I also think that Mannering would be more effective running off Johnson and running at halves rather than at props and locks who are bigger than him.

Thompson is a fine player but I don't think he is an 80 minute man alternating him on the left with Hoffman and Lisone at lock might be a better option.

For me the bench utility spot is 50-50 Roache or Tevaga.

What worries me about roache is his defence, I remember him missing a few key tackles in the middle last season and saying in an interview that defence is what he needs to work on.
Tevaga on the other hand is great defensively and tackles/carries the ball above his weight. The problem I have with him is that his hooking skills arent as good.

Hopefully they've both improved on their deficiancies over the off season, that way we'll have two very good prospects pushing luke for the spot. I'm expecting the duo to be our hooking combo for a while after luke finishes up.

For me the bench utility spot is 50-50 Roache or Tevaga.

What worries me about roache is his defence, I remember him missing a few key tackles in the middle last season and saying in an interview that defence is what he needs to work on.
Tevaga on the other hand is great defensively and tackles/carries the ball above his weight. The problem I have with him is that his hooking skills arent as good.

Hopefully they've both improved on their deficiancies over the off season, that way we'll have two very good prospects pushing luke for the spot. I'm expecting the duo to be our hooking combo for a while after luke finishes up.
Just think that Roache gets the nod cause he can cover the backs and Jazz can't. Of course, Jazz can cover the back row and Roache can't, but hopefully that cover is Lisone.

Reactions: ttkk19
Status
Not open for further replies.