General YOUR Team For 2021

Off The Bench

Warriors 1st Grader
Jan 26, 2014
They told Maumalo the same thing after his first season, now he’s one of the better wingers with the same club.

Not saying it will happen but if he gets back to 2018 form, they are picking him over Evans.

People just like the shinny new thing but the grass isn’t always greener.

Parra fans on Eels forum want Paasi off the bench next year to replace Evans with the view that it would be an upgrade.
I see Bunty in the team preseason training photos .
You might be on the money with this one..
At a guess I'd say Bunty an JTB will be fighting for a bench spot .

I'm backing JTB should get some good arguments going on the team list
This year unless we have injuries or suspentions someone is going to miss out .

I'm picking Jazz to be a hot topic as well .
I think BMM could take his spot .
I'm picking Harris to start at 13 .

But we have incredible quality depth in the forwards this season
We might even see a player or two get rested .
Brownie being in charge as well I think him not having favorites yet
There might be a few shock selections . .

Gizzyfan

Warriors 1st Grader
Jan 2, 2013
The recruiting has been nothing short of outstanding, now it is preparation time for next season. There will of course be conditioning and skills and generally fitting the pegs into the appropriate holes. That is part of it, as a cautionary note look at the Broncos last season.

Despite what some are saying, we are not going to bulldoze over teams, defences are too good for that from 1-16. Like chess it is getting the right pieces at the right time on the right part of the board.

From this far out I see our greatest vulnerability as the Halves, firstly they have to play direct, do not go lateral and take space and momentum from the outsides, most of that is Coaching and practice. My worry is can they put the team in good positions with their kicking game, most particularly long kicks finding space.

wizards rage

1st Grade Fringe
Apr 18, 2016
Tauranga
Despite what some are saying, we are not going to bulldoze over teams, defences are too good for that from 1-16.
A great thoughtful piece. Very strategic.

I see your clearly identify that we need to target their number 17 when he comes on, as he’s clearly the weakest defender. I hope brown has also identified this strategy.

Swanny

1st Grade Fringe
Jun 18, 2017

Miket12

Warriors 1st Grader
Apr 20, 2012

Off The Bench

Warriors 1st Grader
Jan 26, 2014
Jazz will be in the team, best you and a few others get use to the idea
Jazz might be in the picture
But Lawton or O'sullivan will also be in the team .
My reason for this is to provide us with a backup hooker .
Egan will most probably go down at some stage during the season .
So it's important we give our back u hooker a few minutes each game to
Cover this eventuality.
I believe it will be Lawton or O'sullivan
As Jazz doesn't want to be a hooker
An Jayden the club is looking at as a long-term prospect according to Brownie
In his latest article .
So it will be Jazz or Sironen I'm picking for a bench spot .

Reactions: fizurg

Mr Brownstone

1st Grade Fringe
Nov 9, 2014
Cover this eventuality.
In his latest article .
Yeah I agree that we’ll need a utility on the bench, I’m hopeful Jayden Nikorima could become that. Don’t rate Lawton as more than decent squad depth. Currently I have Jazz comfortably ahead of Sironen although I also wonder if the club are possibly regretting the BMM signing and whether he might struggle to consistently deliver across the season. We certainly have good forward depth!

mt.wellington

Warriors Orange Peeler
Jun 21, 2012
Mt. Wellington, Auckland
Cover this eventuality.
In his latest article .
I like Jazz as back up hooker. He's just too versatile to leave out. As soon as Egan comes back on Jazz can stay in the middle defending. He also has a knack for getting an offload out which will be vital when the big boys come off for a rest to continue our go forward. The big boys that stay on will be resting behind the ruck as well on attack.

Im also very tempted to have Katoa come off the bench for this exact reason. That second phase play will be crucial next season the way or pack is likely to play.

It makes even more sense with Brown talking about giving RTS a more roaming role as opposed to how he was used as a 3rd half this year.

While I completely agree that Jayden would be a better sub at rake I think Jazz ability to play in the pack is much more useful to the team than Jays in the halves.

As for O'Sullivan, he'll be a welcome addition to our reserve grade stocks but he's less of a hooker than Jazz. As far as I'm aware he's a halves player through and through. I'll bet my left nut he wont get a run as long as our halves stay fit...

Off The Bench

Warriors 1st Grader
Jan 26, 2014
Brownies latest article states Jayden is training well an has talent but he shouldn't expect game time this season .

Jazz at hooker for 15 minutes I got no problem with
But if Egan goes down Do you want Jazz at hooker for 80 minutes ?
Or Lawton coming in to play a couple of games at hooker with no
Game time under his belt ?
That's my thinking on it .
Jazz is a middle forward in his own right .the way I see it .

mt.wellington

Warriors Orange Peeler
Jun 21, 2012
Mt. Wellington, Auckland
Brownies latest article states Jayden is training well an has talent but he shouldn't expect game time this season .

Jazz at hooker for 15 minutes I got no problem with
But if Egan goes down Do you want Jazz at hooker for 80 minutes ?
Or Lawton coming in to play a couple of games at hooker with no
Game time under his belt ?
That's my thinking on it .
Jazz is a middle forward in his own right .the way I see it .
I'm no coach but I would never name a team with injury contingencies in place. Or else we'd have a bench of jack of all trades, masters of none...

Reactions: Off The Bench

Gizzyfan

Warriors 1st Grader
Jan 2, 2013
From this far out we are making some assumptions that don't really add up.

That because they have been signed the new players are guaranteed a spot in the 17.

That 2020 form will carry on into 2021, good and bad.

That the general team structure like big wings and injury bench cover will continue.

To give an illustration of my bias, Lawton is a favourite of mine because he is a whole hearted player. However, I have to recognise that in whatever position, but especially Hooker, he will not lose you a game, he is unlikely to win one as well.

I see it due to the makeup of the squad that rookies have a short window of pre season and trials to impress, especially on defence.

Reactions: Worried2Death

fizurg

1st Grade Fringe
May 18, 2012
hamilton
Will be interesting to see if Jazz’s role changes slightly next year. From what I’ve been told he doesn’t really like being the mongrel in the team. It’s something the coaches have asked him to do since the team has been sorely lacking it. If players like AFB and BMM can add a bit of that it might take the weight off Jazz’s shoulders and free him up to focus on just playing his game.

TheCool

1st Grade Fringe
Jul 18, 2013
I like Jazz as back up hooker. He's just too versatile to leave out. As soon as Egan comes back on Jazz can stay in the middle defending. He also has a knack for getting an offload out which will be vital when the big boys come off for a rest to continue our go forward. The big boys that stay on will be resting behind the ruck as well on attack.

Im also very tempted to have Katoa come off the bench for this exact reason. That second phase play will be crucial next season the way or pack is likely to play.

It makes even more sense with Brown talking about giving RTS a more roaming role as opposed to how he was used as a 3rd half this year.

While I completely agree that Jayden would be a better sub at rake I think Jazz ability to play in the pack is much more useful to the team than Jays in the halves.

As for O'Sullivan, he'll be a welcome addition to our reserve grade stocks but he's less of a hooker than Jazz. As far as I'm aware he's a halves player through and through. I'll bet my left nut he wont get a run as long as our halves stay fit...
What were your thoughts on Jazz’s last stint at hooker? Do you think he’s improved since then? I definitely thought he should never be put there again. He looked like he didn’t want to be there and he didn’t have the skills execute basic plays.

Also, Jayden’s not in the picture at all. That’s a long term play and I’d be surprised if he picks up any contract this year (possibly next year after a second preseason). Kalepo and Otukolo already ahead of him.

Reactions: Worried2Death

Sammyw11

1st Grade Fringe
Mar 8, 2016
1. RTS
2. Fusitua
3. Aitken
4. Hiku
5. Maumalo
6. CHT
7. Nikorima
8. AFB
9. Egan
10. JTB
11. Katoa
12. Harris
13. Tevaga

14. Lawton
15. LAM
16. Evans
17. BMM

Ratuva breathing down fusituas neck, Murch next cab off the rank to shift onto the bench, BMM cover back row and spell Jazz, seems im in the minority but i quite like jazz and what he brings to the table, very nathan brown-esque (parramatta version). JTB i like his mobility but hes the potential weak link in the front row, if anyone thinks evans isnt in the 17 they are in for a shock (rightly or wrongly)

Last edited:

Last Game

27 Sep

40 - 28
6.5 Total Avg Rating
0.0 Your Avg Rating

Highest Rated Player

Lowest Rated Player

Compiled from 19 ratings